Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Air compressor tires

I have a question I have big tires on my MOTORHOME and the fronts need 95 psi and the rears need 105psi what kind of compressor do you guys use to keep air in these size tires? I have one that is 100psi but it don't go that high so I need to get a different one thanks for your help. Marty
bounder ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use the onboard compressor, good to 128 to 132 psi and I don't lose space or weight to separate compressor. I added an in-line bleeder as shown in the thread link below, makes it a one person operation.

Post 7 of the same thread lists the links to parts I used.

See post 26 in this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/what...-107949-2.html

If you want a separate compressor to carry around, Sears has a nice 150psi pancake style compressor. Watch the sales you can pick it up for $99.00. Porter Cable has the twin to the Sears model, can be found at Lowes or Home Depot, under $150.00
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder ball View Post
I have a question I have big tires on my MOTORHOME and the fronts need 95 psi and the rears need 105psi what kind of compressor do you guys use to keep air in these size tires? I have one that is 100psi but it don't go that high so I need to get a different one thanks for your help. Marty
Really unusual to need more pressure in the rears than the front, unless they are different sizes, are you sure about the required pressures?
I tried using the onboard compressor for over an hour more than once. The fronts (since replaced with larger tires) needed 120 psi, the compressor cut out before the tires would get there. I carry a small tank unit from Lowes that does just fine.
Why run the 435 HP air compressor when a 1½ hp electric one does just as well with less noise and pollution?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a Porter Cable 150 psi pancake. Home Depot had them on sale for $50. Then gave me $50 off for opening an account, free is good. I run my tires at 90 psi. It does a good job topping them off. I had a tire go flat while the MH was on jacks, caused by the tire pressure sensor. It took a couple of minutes to bring it back up to 90 psi. I think the volume is 2.9 cuft at 90 psi.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #5

Just purchased from Sears there 150 psi small compressor (not a pancake style). 2.0 CFM @ 90 psi, $99.00. Would suggest a better hose though, takes standard 1/4 ntp fittings. Does everything I need it to do.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Really unusual to need more pressure in the rears than the front, unless they are different sizes, are you sure about the required pressures?
I tried using the onboard compressor for over an hour more than once. The fronts (since replaced with larger tires) needed 120 psi, the compressor cut out before the tires would get there. I carry a small tank unit from Lowes that does just fine.
Why run the 435 HP air compressor when a 1½ hp electric one does just as well with less noise and pollution?
Thats the purpose of the in-line bleeder valve in the air hose, when the compressor cuts out hit the bleeder until the compressor kicks back in. Takes 2 or 3 minutes tops to take front tires from 105 to 115, less time on rears I only run 95 psi in them.

Takes me longer to get the air hose out and put it away than it does to air all 6 tires up.

Now at home I have an 80 gallon 200 psi compressor I use rather than run the engine to air up, but on the road I like having the basement space for something useful like my golf clubs.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I use a Porter Cable 150 psi pancake. Home Depot had them on sale for $50. Then gave me $50 off for opening an account, free is good. I run my tires at 90 psi. It does a good job topping them off. I had a tire go flat while the MH was on jacks, caused by the tire pressure sensor. It took a couple of minutes to bring it back up to 90 psi. I think the volume is 2.9 cuft at 90 psi.
I'll take 2 at that price.

I have the Porter Cable 150 psi in the garage for work around the house, it's a great compressor. Nice size to carry around for finish nailers and the like.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee

I'll take 2 at that price.

I have the Porter Cable 150 psi in the garage for work around the house, it's a great compressor. Nice size to carry around for finish nailers and the like.
I have it too but unlike Hipshot it wasn't free. Still a nice compressor with a reasonable footprint and plenty of PSI to meet the demands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-374508927.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	31250
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #9

I use the sears egg shape 150 psi and change the cheap plastic coiled hose. With any small tanked compressor from 125-150 psi you might have to bleed off alittle for it to cut back on to build up.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a craftsman from sears. It is an oil style compresor with I beleive a 3 gal tank. They are on sale for 99$. LOWES has the same compresor with a diferant name at the same price.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
8pc. Portable Air Compressor: Take Craftsman Power to Go with Sears

lighter, samller, same compressor basically with smaller tank, cheaper in most cases. Cuts in at 125, cuts out at 150 regulatable output up to the 150psi. Not serviceable per Sears manual and repair dept. (unless you are using the 3 gallon pancake version parts list = same in most cases and handy). We got this one for $99 with a +$15 additional 3yr service contract. So for 4 years if something goes wrong we at least get our $99 back as it's not serviceable per Sears. Trash the accessories and hose, add another $25 for a disconnect and proper 50' hose (adds more accumulated tank capacity) and your in shape. Just our recommendation for a smaller, lighter 120v unit.

Yes we could use the Diesel but choose not to go thru the releveling, airing up the bags and brakes, hi idling the engine etc. to add a few lbs to the toad or coach tires if needed. Others will have a different opinion of course.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trim Plus 3-Gallon Electric Air Compressor-H1503TP at The Home Depot

Quote:
Powerful 1.5 HP motor features automatic start/stop operation for easy use
155 psi maximum pressure
Delivers 2.5 SCFM at 90 psi
Pump requires no maintenance, making this compressor easy to use
UL- and ETL listed for safety
Push-connect fittings provide easy 1-handed operation
Steel tank and aluminum pump are lightweight, making this compressor easy to carry
Oversized controls are easy to read
Includes a hose, 18-piece accessory kit for inflation and on-board storage for hose and accessories
The 2.5 SCFM at 90 psi is a key spec on this. The other compressors I tried (three of them) didn't have enough force to push air into the tire, even at 120psi.

I find this works very well, and fits easily in the basement for travel use.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #13

A few years ago while camping at the state park we looked at a campers DP and he had an air tank hooked to his engine compressor with a one way air valve to extra tank so when he aired down he did not lose the air from the extra tank...came in real handy for those situations..seems his kids bike tires always need air and other things...anybody else do this?? jeff
Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lowes carries a 1/4" poly hose. It is very small when coiled up compared to the rubber hoses. A little more money but coils up much smaller, makes is very easy to stow away.