Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #15

I just bought the Husky for $99 from Home Depot. Small and powerful. Fills up my 19.5" tires no problem.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for those recommendations. I'm looking at the Craftsman 2 gallon air compressor. Has anyone experience with this product? It's only $119 and has an accessory kit (parts of which the reviews say are cheezy). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the Craftsman 2 gallon, and it has been great. It works to 150psi (I use it to fill my front tires to 110+ regularly). It does take up quite a bit of space however. Don't get it confused with the tankless version which goes for $20 less. It only works to 125psi, and is a little smaller. Got mine on sale for $99 3 or 4 years ago.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How do you "trick" the compressor to run??

Can the low pressure start switch be adjusted to kick in at 100#?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a pressure release that can be opened to drop the pressure below the cut-in (I think mine is about 90#). Once it starts, it will usually run while you are inflating.

I don't know of any way to adjust the cut-in pressure on this compressor.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #18

Easier way, Just press the button in the center of the air chuck with your thumbnail to release some air. When the motor starts, put the chuck on you tire's valve stem and hold it there wntil the compressor fills both the compressor's tank and your tire. If you hold it long enough it will fill to the max rating of your compressor.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Got it!

Thanks guys.

-Tom

This is what I'm using. $59.99 Black Friday.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to trick the compressor to run and fill the tire to max (say, 90PSI)-----

Push the small valve in the chuck to release air in the compressor tank until the compressor starts to run, as Jerry Forewood said, only get a truck chuck that has threads in the chuck, by the small valve, and put it on the tire valve. Now you can go get a coke and sit back and watch the pressure on the compressor tank build as the tire does also-- works great. The threads hold it on to the tire valve without you having to sit and hold it
Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max Hubrich:
How to trick the compressor to run and fill the tire to max (say, 90PSI)-----

Push the small valve in the chuck to release air in the compressor tank until the compressor starts to run, as Jerry Forewood said, only get a truck chuck that has threads in the chuck, by the small valve, and put it on the tire valve. Now you can go get a coke and sit back and watch the pressure on the compressor tank build as the tire does also-- works great. The threads hold it on to the tire valve without you having to sit and hold it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are not supposed to ever hold the chuck by hand when filling these high pressure tires. SOP is to use a locking chuck with a six foot extension that has the gauge and shut off valve at least six feet from the tire. An inflation accident is usually sevear and can be fatal.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:38 AM   #22

after reading these posts i'm wondering why the dp guys don't use their coach air supply? i've used ours on the last two dp's. i am glad however neilv reminded me of the dangers involved. going to my auto parts store and buy some new stuff. thanks jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
The caution raised by neilv applies primarily to the initial airing up of a newly mounted tire and seating the bead on the rim. A tire cage is also recommended for that task. Follow up air checks and top offs are routinely done without those measures. Have tires exploded during an air check - yes but those instances have been extremely rare. If one takes the position of 100% guaranteed safety, none of us would ever take to the road.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #24

fleetman, you have an interesting theory about life! after doing all the interesting things i've done in my life and still be able to be alive is amazing in itself so i think spending 20 bucks to prevent a maybe is pretty cheap!
just my personel opinion.
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,
Let's not get into a "flaming" contest. I stated some industry wide practices and an opinion. To each his own.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #26

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Porter Cable 6 gal 150 PSI pancake . never leave home without it. rated at 4.0 SCFM at 90 lbs. Will fill 120 tire fast