Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #1

I drive a Class A gasser and want to get a good-quality portable air compressor (read: one with a that doesn't take #&!% forever to air-up a tire). I'd prefer one that I can plug into a 110 outlet (I'd fire up my generator when away from a campground) rather than hooking up battery cables.

What do you folks carry with you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #2

I drive a Class A gasser and want to get a good-quality portable air compressor (read: one with a that doesn't take #&!% forever to air-up a tire). I'd prefer one that I can plug into a 110 outlet (I'd fire up my generator when away from a campground) rather than hooking up battery cables.

What do you folks carry with you?

Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I carry THIS PORTER-CABLE 150 psi compressor.

I'm quite satisfied with it.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the Coleman Inflationmate. Only 1.5 gallons but flat design fits in my basement fine. No problem with 19.5 tires. Check it out here to see if it will fit your needs:
http://salestores.com/colema10.html
Pep Boys usually has them on pre-holiday sales for under $80.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #5

Thanks for those recommendations. I'm looking at the Craftsman 2 gallon air compressor. Has anyone experience with this product? It's only $119 and has an accessory kit (parts of which the reviews say are cheezy).
Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #6

I use a Devilbliss 2 HP 150 PSI. Works very well, I think they make the compressors for Sears. About $100.00.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:54 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
I use a Devilbliss 2 HP 150 PSI. Works very well, I think they make the compressors for Sears. About $100.00. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Their air power products division is now part of Porter Cable which merged with Dewalt after aquiring them.

Just be mindfull that the Sears branded products while they may look the same as the name brand products made by the same manufacturer are not the same internally. I have repaired enough Sears equipment over the years to find that the difference many times prevent you from interchanging repair parts from the name brand product. For example Sears chain saws were made by Poulan however the Poulan had a heavier crankshaft of larger diameter then the Sears model so when we had to replace the flywheel due to broken blades on the cooling fan the one from the Poulan would not fit. Even the recoil starter had the bolts placed in a slightly different pattern and was made of slightly lighter guage materials.

I use one of the 2 gallon compressors from Harbor Freight. They have several models to choose from and can be had for around $50 if you wait for a sale or get on their email list and wait for a digital coupon.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I installed a Husky compressor from Home Depot ($99), added an 110v outlet the bay I store it in, added some hose (Harbor Freight), some quick disconnects (Harbor Freight), a clip on air chuck, 160 psi gauge with pressure release and a air filter. I can use it anywhere just by starting the generator and it is portable.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Don't get mislead by the max pressure rating on a compressor. Just because it can produce 125 psi does not mean it can pump a tire to that pressure in a reasonable time. Instead, look for the air volume ratings, e.g. 3.7 cfm @ 90 psi. cfm is cubic feet per minute and speaks to the amount of air that is pumped, which is the other major factor besides pressure. Good compressors are usually rated for flow (cfm) at 40 and 90 psi. the 40 psi rate in meaningful only for car tires but the 90 psi rate is a good indicator for big RV tires. If the compressor has no such rating on the box or spec plate on its side, skip it.

You mentioned a gas rig so your tire pressures are probably in the 70-90 psi range. A compressor that can deliver around 4 cfm @ 90 psi should do a decent job for you. 3.4+ is OK but not great. If you anticipate using the compressor on a diesel pusher in the future, look for the highest 90 psi cfm you can find. That will assure you of at least moderate flow at the 100-110 psi that big pusher A's typically require.

The little 12v pumps found in Walmart and auto stores usually have high pressures and almost no volume, but there are some good ones that can deliver adequate cfm at high pressures.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #10

Thanks for that info, RV Roamer. I'd settled on a Craftsman 2 gal. Air Compressor, but based on what you said, I might rethink it: My tires are inflated to 85 psi, and here are the ratings on the compressor:

125 max PSI; 3.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 2.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI; 120 volts
Old 10-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the 2 gallon Craftsman. My tires are at 95-100 psi. The trick is to force the compressor to run while filling the tires. Therefore, the compressor I have is the oil filled one.

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
When I first got my Husky compressor I tested it on a MADP that was sitting next to me that needed air in the left rear. I told the guy I wasn't to impressed as it took a bit to air it to 105 lbs. The other guy said he was impressed as he had equalized air fill lines... filled both tires to 105.

OBTW - I run my 1/2 impact off it and can do a Trac Bar install with it.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

2.4 SCFM @ 90 psi is definitely wimpy for a large or high pressure tire. Fine for smaller tires or those needing around 50 psi ior less, but it is going to be slow for larger tires at 75-110 psi. And it will not run air tools such as air hammers at all.

I may be be somewhat overstating how much 90 psi SCFM you need for good performance on high pressure tires, but there is no question that more is better. I would not consider less than 3 SCMF @90 psi and would try to as much more as I could find at a reasonable price and size/weight. I use a Porter Cable with a 3.7 Scfm rating. My older Sears 125 psi tankless with 2.4 scfm @90 psi won't hack the 105 psi I need for my 22.5" front tires and struggled mightily to almost fill a friends 16" trailer tires that needed 100 psi. Got his to about 95 psi and he gave up trying to reach 100.

Here is a review on a Porter Cable model that would do a fine job if you have room for it:
P-C compressor
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r2dillon:
I use the 2 gallon Craftsman. My tires are at 95-100 psi. The trick is to force the compressor to run while filling the tires. Therefore, the compressor I have is the oil filled one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you "trick" the compressor to run??

Can the low pressure start switch be adjusted to kick in at 100#??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote