Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #29
Driving into a gas station while pulling a toad and getting close to the air pump is a problem. I bought my compressor in Canton, OH after attempting to do this from Central Florida to there. If you need to air up a low tire on the road you can. Mine will run off of the inverter also. Why bother to have a bathroom in your motor home when you can always stop into a gas station. They all have bathroom.

Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Why do you need a portable compressor when every gas station has compressed air to use to pump tires? (Please forgive the newbie question.)
We'll forgive you for the newbie question. Not only are they hard to get to, but a lot of the ones that take quarters won't even air tires up to 65PSI! Don't ask how I know this.

Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Turbo--

I guess from your site name your driving a Diesel Pusher? If you are, and dragging a car behind your rig, try backing it up sometime to get into, or out of, a tight spot to get air.
Most of us would rather drive on a low tire, get to a campground and borrow, or run to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a compressor, to load into an already overloaded rig, just to put a few pounds of air in a low tire .
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #32
THANKS for patience.

We are not driving anything right now. I'm the wife doing the research. We have sold the home and plan to purchase a DP in the late spring/early summer. I've been reading forums 'cause I'm the go-to person on research, and the dots were not connecting.

I loved the post about bathrooms and gas stations! SO true!
Turbo Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #33
I loved the post about bathrooms and gas stations! SO true!
Hey, it gets the point across. Feel free to use it with your wife on any "toys" you need. I strongly suggest that you make a few trips in a rental RV prior to buyng anything. This experience can pay for itself many times over.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #34
Ahhem. Read up. I *am* the wife.

We've done the rental thing with Class C's in the past. Loved it, but with rentals you don't have to master the details of ownership and long-range/long-term travel. It's good advice, but I think we're past that stage and into learning the true nitty-gritty!

Take care and THANKS!
Turbo Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #35
"I have a 07 Safari Simba. My manual says that I could only get 90 psi from that connection, so it is not suitable for me when I want 110 psi."

AZ- early Alpine Coaches were the same. There is a governor on the system (attached to the compressor IIRC) that determines the blow off pressure. Alpine's early idea was just enough to cover frame air pressure needs; sounds like roadmaster was doing the same. You can have that changed out or adjusted (I think the latter) to a higher pressure if there is regulation downstream so you don't overstress other components. This is easily accomplished. Later Alpines came w/the settings higher for easy tire airing. Mine cycles at 135psi top, and about 110 bottom. Pretty sure you can do the same thing and then carry a hose & air chuck for that purpose.

Here is a 2007 Engine Air Compressor thread for DP owners consideration. Cummins had the replacement governor for those who needed to replace the blow off w/a higher rating.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #36
For RV portability and 135psi it's impossible to beat the DeWalt Emglo D55140. Clean shape fits anywhere (just a couple telephone books in size), nothing sticks out to snag or break, 100% duty cycle - use all day long no rest, draws 2.6amp (only 300watts) motor makes it inverter-able with anything. Can't ask for much more...

2007 and 7/8ths Newmar Essex 4502
RVDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #37
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by peliaspastia View Post
I have a 2007 Damon Tuscany 4074 which I have had only a few months. It has a quick connect air supply in the front compartment which I have heard can be used to supply air to the tires. Since the instrument on the dash reports 120 lbs of pressure while the engine is running, I assume that this would be sufficient for keeping the tire pressure up to the 100 plus lbs pressure that is recommended for the tires.
At this time I have not yet had a chance to test it out. Does anyone have any experience with using the built in air compressor?
Yep. Use mine all the time to adjust tire pressure. Its a little slow, but does the job. Of course the engine has to be running so the compressor is supplying air.

JT Kirby
2006 32T Journey
2010 Chevy Malibu toad
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #38
Monaco Owners Club
Really like my Makita MAC2400, 130 psi max, it's built a little heavier that the Porter Cable units but it's a low speed compressor (quieter).
2009 Monaco Camelot - PressurePro TPMS
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Blue Ox Aventa LX/Unified Tow Brake
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #39
Thor Owners Club
Another vote for the Viair (I actually have the AirLift version, same as the Viair 400PA-RV). Incredibly shocking how quick this little unit can pump air into those big motor home tires.
2009 Mandalay Presidio 38D
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Toad)
kuldaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #40
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
Why do you need a portable compressor when every gas station has compressed air to use to pump tires? (Please forgive the newbie question.)
I'm surprised no one mentioned (perhaps it never happens...) the low pressure in a remote CG or similar situation - and the resulting choice to put on the spare (possibly ALSO either flat or low on PSI...) - or call for road service and wait for it to arrive...

Lots of reasons and as many uses other than inflating tires out on the road. And yeah, lighter weight, smaller size - and convenient shape/dimensions - all are basic requirements - not all of us have the room for the drag-around-on-rollers shop type compressor in our MH basements - or want to use it for that sort of storage.

That DeWalt D55140 looks like it would fit all the requirements for about 90% of us, at a price of about 40 gallons of gas or diesel...
John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #41
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
I have a small Campbell Hausfeld, ...
Would you please quote the model and source. This sounds like what I would want. Thanks.
John & Dottie | Texas | 2006 Teton Experience Sunrise | 2003 Ram 3500 CTD QC DRW HO 6SP 410 Gears
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #42
I have always used the on-board air compressor for the coach. I also use a small compressor from Walmart for the toad and motorcycle since starting the rig everytime can be a pain.

Phil & Carol & Ariel, Grey Lady
2016 Ram CTD 4X4
2009 Carriage Cameo F35SB3:dance
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote