Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found that you can only get about 10 psi less into a tire than the rated max. pressure of the unit .

What ever compressor you chose, for example, if you want 100 psi in a tire, your unit must be rated at 110 psi or higher. To get the max out of any unit, push the air chuck valve in until the compressor starts to run and then hold the chuck on the valve stem until the compressor shuts off (this only applies if you want the compressors max. available pressure).

If you don't want to kneel there for an extended period of time, which I don't want to do, get one of these "locking" chucks. You just place the chuck straight on the valve stem and then angle it slightly to "lock" it on. When ready to remove it, just angle it slightly to the straight on position. You can't find this in auto parts stores- at least I couldn't. It is used primarily in truck and some auto tire shops.

If you go slightly over the pressure you want-- no problem! Just use you air guage and put it lightly on the valve stem, releasing some air, until you get what you want.

Good luck with your choice ,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #44

I apologize to everyone for not reading all the pages of replies. I followed a link from a closed thread in general discussion. Since I'm retired and not in a rush to air up tires, I am well satisfied with this: Harbor Freight Tools
150psi, high volume,12VDC compressor. I purchased one for #39.99 on sale 2 years ago, things change_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #45

Air Compressor

I use the compressor Ray refers to, Harbor Freight item # 93186. A word of caution. You must start the compressor before you connect it to tire, or you will blow the fuse. I have added several feet of wire to the compressor to reach all tires and this did not affect its operation. Suggest you use a heavy gauge of wire. Unit gets hot, cool often.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #46

Tire Inflation

I have a 2008 Winnebago Tour. I start my engine and put it into fast idle before using my on-board compressor to inflate my tires. I carry a 50 foot air line and a digital truck tire gauge with braided stainless steel extension. Makes the job quick and easy.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #47

I must be missing something. We already have one of the best air-compressors made, which is connected to a diesel motor. For a few minutes at Lowes and a few bucks, it's plumbed and ready to air almost anything. I'm new to M/H camping, but that's what worked for years with tractor trailers, and I don't see the difference.
Bud Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bud Dee,

There are a few of us out here that have the old hydraulic brake systems, at least a step up from the old mechanical brakes on vechicles around the 30's.
ie, No nice engine driven compressors. In fact, we don't even have diesel engines .
Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
No nice engine driven compressors. In fact, we don't even have diesel engines .
Maybe now you have a reason to get one. After all, it comes with a free air compressor.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dee View Post
I must be missing something. We already have one of the best air-compressors made, which is connected to a diesel motor. For a few minutes at Lowes and a few bucks, it's plumbed and ready to air almost anything. I'm new to M/H camping, but that's what worked for years with tractor trailers, and I don't see the difference.
UMMmmmm - perhaps you didn't notice the specific forum area you posted to - the GENERAL MH discussion area - not ALL of us here own or drive a later model diesel MH - or a later model ANYTHING!

Congratulations on YOUR neat later model diesel rig with nifty built-ins - the REST of us more common peasants will have to continue to cheerfully "eat cake" - ala Marie Antoinette...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
My nifty diesel does have a "built in air compressor" that I do use to top off tires, but I am seriously considering buying a Craftsman 150psi 120v compressor ...though the 150psi 12v from Harbor Frieight does sound tempting ...having the 12v option would make it a little more handy, but I am involved in a dispute with Harbor Freight that I appear to be losing after they CHARGED my CC when I returned an item rather than REFUNDING the CC ...so they charged me twice and I don't have the merchandise!! My bank challenged the second charge and reversed it, but I still am out the original price.

Anyway, the reason I am seriously considering buying a free standing compressor is so I don't have to crank up the big diesel and run it 45 min or so to top off my tires. The fronts take 110psi, and that does take awhile to reach. The others go pretty quickly. A free standing compressor would also give me the option of using it AWAY from the MH for airing up tires, in addition to using it for things (air tools, etc) beyond airing up tires ...aha!! ...there's an argument for 120v rather than 12v!!!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Paul

If your a member of the Harbor Frieght Inside Track Club the price for the 12V 150lb compressor is

ITEM 66399-0VGA
ITC Member Price $49.95

Over the long haul thats less than the Fuel to run my Wiz Bang Pusher.

Dick
Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can always use the 120v compressor by running the generator. If you have a big enough inverter, probably 2000w or larger, you could use it to run a compressor similiar to my Porta Cable 2002. My 1000w pure sine wave inverter cannot handle the load.

In the campground I use mine to help folks out with low tires. I also use it for the golf cart, ATV and the trucks on the property. There always is a 120v outlet on the sites power poles- We are camp hosts in Maine in the summer.

I'm not keen on the 12v compressors.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Just pickup this one!