Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Air Compressors

Would appreciate any comments regarding compressors used to maintain the proper tire pressure on the big rig.

Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Cee, I use a Viair 380C compressor and 2 gallon tank that came with my airbag controller kit. (EasyStreet 27624). It does OK if I have to add less than 10psi to our tires (235-80R22.5 if I remember correctly). Any more and it struggles. The compressor is rated for continuous duty and maintains the tank pressure at 150 to 175psi.

Others have reported success with a variety of AC-powered compressors, though you have to make sure that the pressure that the compressor starts at is above what you want to set your tire to. My home compressor cuts in at 90psi I run my rear tires at 100psi, so it did not work that well

Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Here is a great compressor. I replaced my old one with this one to have enough PSI for the RV job.
DeWalt Heavy-duty 200 Psi 15 Gallon 120 Volt Electric Wheeled Portable Workshop Compressor
DeWalt Heavy-duty 200 Psi 15 Gallon 120 Volt Electric Wheeled Portable Workshop Compressor - D55168 at The Home Depot

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
I have a small Campbell Hausfeld, that I take on trips. It is only about 12"x6". I ordered it through Ace Hardware, 5 years ago. It is rated for 125 psi. At the time I use to keep 115 psi in my 70 series front tires. As soon as I got the air compressor, I let out 40 psi from one of the tires and the compressor had no problem bring it back up to 115 psi.
I was checking an inside dual on a friends MH and it was flat. He had just had valve extensions put on at CW and they hadn't tightened them properly. We didn't have a compressor with us. A guy parked along side us broke out his little Campbell Hausfeld compressor and pumped the tire up for him.
When I saw that I ordered one for myself.
Tom, Pat and Buster (the Boston terrier)

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner

Most previous threads on this subject favored the pancake style, Porta-Cable 2002, 150psi, 6 gallon compressor. It's physical size is 16"W x 18"H-- I know, I just bought one. All the mentioned ones here are 120v AC, power. Lowes sells it for $179.

The Diesel folks swear by this one. It'll get the 125psi required for them.

Here is a re-conditioned unit for $120 + $3 shipping.

I have a 2 gallon C-H 100psi. It is very slow to build pressure and it only gets to 90psi in the tires.

I'm making room for the new unit in the MH as I write this. I'm going to add a shelf in my electrical bay and lay the P-C on it's side (it's oiless). I can't handle the height of 18".

You might one of these chucks to use while airing your tires. It locks on to the valve stem. You can set the "line/output" pressure on your compressor for the pressure you desire, go eat lunch and it'll be done .

Good luck with your choice,
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sears sells. or sold a lovely little 4 gallon unit that is factory pre-set to 150PSI.. I'd not recommend changing the pre-set

I have one. works great.. with only a 4 gallon tank I sometimes need a couple of pump cycles to get her back up to pressure

but it works great
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a picture I took of the Porta-Cable compressor shelf I installed- and the unit in place. I apologize for the blurry picture. I'm leaning up against a huge boulder and bending backwards to take this picture. I'm in the coastal area of Maine now and we thrive on granite up here.

I was able to squeeze a height of 19" in- enough, by one inch, to clear the roof of my electrical compartment, to leave the unit in to a normal, vertical position. The height of the unit is 18". My 50 amp electrical cord rolled up into a smaller (lower) height than I anticipated.

I had long looked at the large, unused, vertical space in this compartment, hungry, to use it . I had junk piled in there before.

I had contacted a "tech" at Porta-Cable and asked about the possibility of running the compressor in a horizontal position-- he had to think about that question. He then agreed it would be okay. The unit is "oil free". The compression ring on the piston is Teflon. The main bearings and the crankshaft bearings are all ball bearings. It's smooth sailing from here on.

Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
My vote's also for the Porta-Cable. Besides tires with the proper attachments there's nothing you can't blow up and blow out including those pesky pines needles in my awning rolloups!
Richard and Mary Lou
2007 HR Scepter, 42PLQ
Supply Corps, USN Retired
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
We recently bought the Craftsman 4 gallon "pancake" style and it is a dandy. It was normally about $165, but we got it for about $110 or so. I bought 2 different Chinese one from Wal-Mart and took them back as they wouldn't get to the stated 100 psi. The Craftsman fits nicely in my basement compartment and I can get all 6 of my tires without even taking it out. I will be able to use it around the shop at home also.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
Thanks for all the help! We ended up with the Campbell Hausfield. Haven't been able to test it yet as it is taking awhile to charge.
Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been using a DeWalt Emglo D55140 compressor (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_ ... ctID=15513) for the past 1-1/2 years and have been very satisfied with its performance. It's fairly light (24 lbs) and relatively compact (19 " x 14.5" x 9"); I store it upright in the driver's side rear storage bay in my 08 Allegro Bay. I run my front tires at 100psi and the rears at 90psi; the compressor will put 5psi into a front tire in less than 1-2 minutes which I find entirely acceptable.
2008 Tiffin AB 35TSB W24, 08 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Tow Bar & U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake

Wayneey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
Most portable type compressors can be broken down into the compressor and the tank. If you have a potential storage volume that is not accessible without a lot of effort, and even if it won't take the full height compressor, you can break down the tank/pump and permanently mount them in that space by redoing the lines between pump & tank. On my previous coach I had a space outboard of the frame rail, and above the usable volume of short basement doors; doors were short because the slide-out skirt took up about 11" and the space behind that and above the compartment doors couldn't be used for a Joey bed. Good place for a tank and for a compressor of 11" or less in height or each component. But it had to be permanently mounted as I wouldn't want to wrestle it in/out all the time. Then plumb in a remote chuck and carry some flex line.

On my new coach I have a space ahead of the FL wheel and behind the headlight. Haven't gotten the compressor setup I want yet (probably the 200psi DeWalt referenced above) but that's where it will go w/some kind of box to keep it free of road spray in excessively wet conditions. I will set the on/off/pressure switch to on, probably use an extension cord for on/off, and remote mount the chuck(s). From this space I can also remote mount the air gauges where I can see them while working on my junk.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Wayneey, I had been looking for the DeWalt D55140 locally but couldn't find it. Looking at your link, I just ordered it from Power Tools, Inc. for $154. with free shipping. Just the right compact size and weight for me.
Wayne H. & Nixie Miller

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Portable Compressor would be a nice thing to have.

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote