Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

Air conditioner dripping water from ceiling inside RV

We just noticed that there is some water dripping from the inside ceiling of our 2006 Winnebago Sightseer air conditioner after it has been running a few hours at a time. It is actually dripping from around the approx. 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft square grate in the ceiling that looks like an inside air intake vent/filter.

What all should I do, and how???

Thanks!
rvmorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take the cover off on the outside and clean the drain hole. Probably plugged. It could also be that the 4 bolts that hold the ac unit down need to be tightened a 1/4 turn or so. Those are accessed from the inside
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure your coach is level.
Insure the air filter(s) are clean also.

Good luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I can tell you that a clogged up air filters WILL allow it to spit water out!!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Does the condensation normally run down the outside of the coach or does it have drain tubes that direct it under the coach?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure your fan is set to high speed.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #7

It normally runs down the outside of the coach; which it is still doing now. But now it also has some dripping around that inside vent in the ceiling....
Old 08-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

All the above certainly apply, and need to be checked.

We had this problem a few years ago when we had forgot to close the ceiling vents while the A/C was running. It was very humid outside, and I suspect that contributed.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGDLD View Post
All the above certainly apply, and need to be checked.

We had this problem a few years ago when we had forgot to close the ceiling vents while the A/C was running. It was very humid outside, and I suspect that contributed.

Yes, all the above apply. My '08 Sightseer required total removal of the sheet metal screwed to the frame (up on the roof). Ours has a pan with 4 drain holes- one at each corner. Stick a coat hanger end or bailing wire up them and watch all the muddy water flow out. I discovered after I had taken all the time to remove the cowling that I probably could have used a finer wire up underneath and just "probed" for the holes instead (after you take the plastic a/c shroud off).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
From the age of your coach (2006) it might be the AC to Roof seal that is leaking.

As mentioned, you might be able to tighten the mount bolts a turn or two, and this could buy you some time. If it is the seal, plan on replacing it. Its a fairly easy job, takes about 45 - 60 minutes.

Regardless, stay on top of any leaks, else you'll be subscribing to this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/total...-c-295229.html

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #11

Thanks everyone! I did find that three of the four bolts that mounts the A/C to the ceiling were indeed loose (two were VERY loose). I tightened the bolts. I also found a air filter that was pretty much clogged. I vacuumed it but I'm not impressed, so I dont know if I can wash that filter or need to purchase a new filter...?

I tried to take the A/C cover off the top of the RV, but one of the screws just turns and wont loosen or tighten anymore than the way it is..... I will keep trying to figure out how to get that outside cover off so I can take a look at the drain holes/tubes.....
Old 08-31-2016, 12:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
If the air filter is paper replace it. If it is a thin piece of foam, wash and dry and replace. When you get the outside cover off, hose the aluminum fins with a low pressure water hose. You can hose everything in the pan except the down vent. Place a bunch of towels in the down vent and hose both sets of aluminum fins. Your air conditioner will run much cooler with better air flow. Recheck the hold down bolts every time you change of clean the filter.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #13

Well, I was going to take the air conditioner shroud/cover off but one of the four screws that hold it in place just spins and spins and doesn't loosen or come out. It wont tighten or loosen. I tried prying up on the underneath of the screw head while unscrewing,but that's not working/helping... Weird... Thoughts or ideas???? Maybe I can drill the screw/bolt out????
Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmorkie View Post
Well, I was going to take the air conditioner shroud/cover off but one of the four screws that hold it in place just spins and spins and doesn't loosen or come out. It wont tighten or loosen. I tried prying up on the underneath of the screw head while unscrewing,but that's not working/helping... Weird... Thoughts or ideas???? Maybe I can drill the screw/bolt out????
I've been able to get those out with a pair of vice grips. Clamp them on the screw head and pull and turn.

Tags
air conditioner, ceiling, water