Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Air Conditioner Issue

I have a 34 foot Damon Challenger with a single roof Air conditioner. It blows cold air out of the two forward ceiling vents but is very weak from all the other vents to barely flowing from the aft bedroom vents. I haven't begun to sort this issue out yet. I am going to get on the roof tomorrow and check out the unit. I am thinking that cleaning out the condenser and evaporator to improve as much as I can efficiency. It was set on high cool but the air flow was not up to par but I am not sure what par is. Has anyone installed a larger blower motor? do the ceiling vents ever clog or restrict flow? I am afraid this condition will not keep the unit cool on a hot day. I know most homes this size have two units but I have what I have. Any experiences along this line would be appreciated.

Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
I would suggest you take off the inside grill and cover and see how well the entrance to the ducts are sealed. Mine were sealed badly and much of the air was going between the layers of the ceiling. Got some HVAC tape and sealed it all up and even put on some AC mastic paste to make it more durable. Also make sure the baffle between the cold air side and return air side is properly sealed.

Mine was never done well from the factory and it took me years to discover. Others on the forum have reported similar things.

Roaming Full-timer (10 years & counting)
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST
Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Normally I would take the vacuum with a longer extension and brush attachment and vacuum off the evaporator going up through the inside of the AC filter area. The problem with this is you can only get a portion of the total area due to access.

Last year I had to replace the blower motor on my front AC unit.

Since I had to have the sheet metal off of the front air handling compartment that holds the evaporator I took the time to blow it out from in the reverse direction the air normally flows. I removed the filter and put some rags up there to catch any of the dirt. It seemed to have total air flow but it did lower the temp of the air coming out which was warmer then the rear AC.

I have a hand held thermo gun that I bought at Harbor Freight, I use it to check axle hub, brakes, tires temperature while on the road.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First step is clean, Clean the Condenser coils (outside) evaporator (if needed) inside, and the filters..

Then if you can using an inspection mirror into one of the ducts, See if you can see clearly all the way through the duct.

One thing I have noticed in my Interuder is sometimes the blow pattern is not what I think it should be . I do understand why this happens but suffice to say sometimes it's just that one unit will decide "i'm not blowing there" where as both of them at once will blow nicely.

Has to do with a bunch of laws of physics I once studied and with Fluid Dynamics I did not study.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

air conditioner