Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Air conditioner wiring

I have a 1990 Georgie Boy Impulse. It has a front AC unit controlled by a thermostat on the wall. The rear bedroom is wired for AC but there has never been a unit there. There are 2 electrical boxes in the overhead cabinet in the BR that say "AC wiring". My question is will the AC wiring be connected to the wall thermostat, or nit? I can't find anything that tells me either way. I want to move the AC to the bedroom untill I can re-build the roof in the coach as it is in much better shape.I would do the roof now, but we are moving and there is not enough time, I will do it after the move. Thanks for any help.

meworrynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the coach was wired for two airs I would think the thermostat wiring would be there also. The big question is if the thermostat you have is set up for two airs. If it is there would have to be a second set if wires for the rear unit attached. If the thermostat only supports one air you will probably find the second set of wires loose in the wall behind the thermostat.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Thank you dpreece, I will check in the wall. There are 2 electrical boxes in the rear cabinet, both marked wired for AC. I'm wondering if one set is for the thermostat, and the second would be for without. I will investigate tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
My 90 GeorgieBoy CruiseMaster, we added a rear a/c. (9600btu) The boxes in the overhead cabinet were junction boxes, the wiring for the rear Air was in the frame for the roof vent in the ceiling. Remove the plastic trim and the wiring should be in the side of the framing for the vent, complete with wire nuts.
Now the thermostat: I can't remember the wiring for the thermostat. (CRS)... But I think the controls were on the air conditioner itself??? (DW agrees)
Hope this helps..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
you might check this ........ I have 2 A.C.s on my 2000 Pace. I have a duel control on the bedroom wall where I can set one AC to run and the other one turned off or have both of them running. It makes science to me that you would probably need 2 thermostat controlls. this is logical... Going against logic you could have both ac's hooked to one control and when the thermostat is satisfied both unit shut down. this is a likely possibility if your coach is not pre wired for two air conditioner controls ... My advise....... give it a try and see what happens........probably the worst you can do is kick out a breaker or something. Check the breaker size to the A.C.'s also
the wires for the second ac should be behind the plastic ''thingie'' inside the coach, under the crank up vent........
this valuable information will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me .......... On the other hand .... If it dont work for you..... I NEVER KNEW YOU ....
Seajay the sailor man ...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Thank you too you all, this gives me things to look for tomorrow. I'm going to check in to it in the morning, as I said, moving to Texas i'm gonna need the AC working. I figured moving it to the BR was my best option until I can re-build the roor after the move. All the help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you could take the cover plates off the boxes in the ceiling - one should have Romex wiring tied off; that would be the power to the AC unit. If one of the boxes has 14 gauge or similar wiring in it - that's probably the low voltage wiring for the thermostat.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
I installed the A/C yesterday, it went well. It turns out the thermostat is for an exhaust fan in the ceiling that can be set to go on when the coach gets too warm. The 2 electrical boxes were #1-wires coming from the breaker panel, #2-wires to A/C. They were mounted right next to each other and not connected, I assume it was some sort of safety so there could be no live wires in the vent opening untill you wire the optional A/C unit. It was very frustrating thinking the A/C was no good, then I realized after testing the wire, it wasn't connecting. I used rather colorful vocabulary to describe my dilemma, until I cooled down. It seems the coach was bought without A/C. I found a reciept for the one that came with it from CW. All is well, works great and ready for our move to Texas. Thanks to all for their help.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look INSIDE the boxes.. If (As I suspect) one box has 12ga wires that is the 120 volts to the AC

The other box likely contains smaller wires, Possibly 2 pair, the smallest pair is for the T-Stat and the other pair may have 12 volts on it.

NOTE often the 12 volt wire is Romex either 12 or 14ga .. Cause that is what they have the most of at the factory.

DO NOT ASSUME my guess is right.. . Use a volt meter, set first to 120 vac range (usually 150 or 200) and if you get little reading use the 15-20 volt DC range and see if it's 12VDC
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Take a look INSIDE the boxes.. If (As I suspect) one box has 12ga wires that is the 120 volts to the AC

The other box likely contains smaller wires, Possibly 2 pair, the smallest pair is for the T-Stat and the other pair may have 12 volts on it.

NOTE often the 12 volt wire is Romex either 12 or 14ga .. Cause that is what they have the most of at the factory.

DO NOT ASSUME my guess is right.. . Use a volt meter, set first to 120 vac range (usually 150 or 200) and if you get little reading use the 15-20 volt DC range and see if it's 12VDC
I ran a continuity test on the wires, they were both romex. One led up from the 115v breaker box, and the other led to the roof vent opening. All I had to do was remove the boxes and connect the wires together. I assume it was done that way to prevent some one from turning on the rear ac breaker and having live wires in the vent opening. There are no 12 volt wires going to the vent. Was just hard to figure out not having seen it before. Works great and put a new shroud on it, so looks new! :-)