Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was curious how "cool" everyones A/C keeps them in the summer. We have had our unit in 90 degree heat and the A/Cs cannot keep the coach cooler than 80-85 degrees. The coach is grey and silver with a touch of black. Coleman Mach agrees that the two 13.5K btu A/Cs should be able to keep the coach at or below 70. I was just curious what temperature everyone was able to achieve in the summer heat around 90 degrees.

Thank you in advance for the info.

2007 Chevy Silverado
JMJCSIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I was curious how "cool" everyones A/C keeps them in the summer. We have had our unit in 90 degree heat and the A/Cs cannot keep the coach cooler than 80-85 degrees. The coach is grey and silver with a touch of black. Coleman Mach agrees that the two 13.5K btu A/Cs should be able to keep the coach at or below 70. I was just curious what temperature everyone was able to achieve in the summer heat around 90 degrees.

Thank you in advance for the info.

2007 Chevy Silverado
Old 03-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #3

my 2 dometic ac, 13,500 btu each, will run the temp down to whatever i set it on.
1996 kountrystar, 35 ft.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

My rear unit will cool the bedroom, but the front one just allows the temp to keep rising. We try to keep as much shade on the rig as practical. We also make adjustments in our use of medical equipment in the front as much as possible to minimize creating extra heat. We also add 2-3 fans around the front area to at least move the air.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Keep in mind your windows will be one of the biggest heat entry points, expecially the windshield. We use insulated shade material in all of windows and the overhead vents when the temp approaches 100º. We are able to keep the coach at 75º, if you start the A/C early and don't let the temp get ahead of you. Keep in mind that with the shades in, the coach is like a cave, but it is cool.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our coach is dark maroon over gold (white roof), with basement RVP dual compressor a/c & heat pump (24,000 btu) ducted through the ceiling, dual pane very dark tinted windows, and jumbo size auto style sun shades in the windshield. We have been in temps over 100 and keep the inside temp very comfy in mid to high 70's. It does help to put the patio awning out if that side is toward the afternoon sun.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
At the 2006 iRV2 Rally in TN, temps that week were mostly in the low to mid 90's. Our site had no shade. The outside thermometer in the shade of our awning got up to 105-degrees one afternoon. I had the 2 a/c's set at 76-degrees & I think, on that hottest day, we were reading about 79-degrees inside. This was with dual pane tinted windows & all shades drawn (including windshield) to keep out sunlight during the day. But, I tell you, both a/c's didn't shut off until after sunset!

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There are many, many factors to calculate into this question; biggest of which is heat load. It sounds like you probably have an installation problem. Check for recirculating discharge air back into the return. Also look for restrictions of ductwork with mirror and light at other end. Check the discharge temerature and compare to return air temperature. Let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:58 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JMJCSIM:

Thank you in advance for the info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends on many factors. Open windows people lingering with the door open or leaving it open from the time they walk out until they return. Use of vent fans (leaving them on or the vent open after they should have been turned off), hot showers, boiling pots, microwave use, hair dryers, clothes dryers, washing machines, color of coach and how many other heat produsing devices you have running. TV's, Computers, Sound Systems, VCR's, DVD's all produce heat.

Of course during those temps you have to be carefull that you AC is not getting beat up by a brown out. Brown outs can drastically reduce the output of the AC units and greatly reduce their lifespans. During extended brown outs or at facilities with substandard power systems I would not expect my AC to keep up or run for long without sustaining some type of damage. I have lost two blower motors and several motor starters due to brownouts and low voltage issues. A SurgeGuard and Autoformer have helped eliminate those types of issues.

With my 35' mostly white coach, which is called by some the meatlocker, with shades drawn, insulated reflective panels in place and all windows/vents closed can usually maintain 75 on one compressor when outside temps are in the high eighties and low nineties. Above that or while cooking/showering both compressors will be required.

I am tempted to put an automatic door closer to deal with the kids who will open the door and then realize they forgot something leaving the door open while they go back to retrive the missed item.

A hot coach is not fun however below 70 is not a realistice expectation when the temps are hovering around 100. I have to give in to the anti-meatlocker crowd and compromise with the stat set at 79 while my preference would be 77/78. 75 although easily attainable would not be received very well.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Direct sun has a big impact on the cooling. Try to park in a shaded site, especially limit the west sun. Also, keep windows covered from the sun and even put up some of the quilted foil insulation panles if necessary.

In the mid to high 90's and no shade, twa A/C units will have a hard time holding the temp.

Check the air return to your unit as well as the air outlet temperatures. You should have about 18 to 20 dF difference in the air temps.

Also, the manufacturers are bad about not sealing the return air side from the outleeeet air side and you get some by passing of air internally. Pull the cover and see if there are any air leaks and repair them with putty or the foil tape.

Ken
Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The brownout problem came to mind, so the day after I realized how hot it was inside the camper, I ran the generator all day to eliminate the problem of low voltage from the campground. No change.

During these "test" days, the family spent about 6 hours per day in the lake and there was no in/out traffic. All of the shades were closed, tv off, no vents open.

When we returned home, I called Coleman and they told me about the expected difference in the input and output air, about 15-20 degrees. We were somewhere around 18 degrees.

This coach spent 3 weeks at the Fleetwood plant in Decatur and they say they found a piece of duct work that had come loose. Before this trip, I explained to them that one side of the duct seemed to have three times the air flow as the other. Their explanation was that the a/c s were mounted off center, but the cfm s were fine coming out of the units. I haven't been able to test the a/c since they reattached the loose duct but I am very sceptical that this will actually help anything. Our last camper was a 34' TT with one 13.5 Coleman and that unit would stay at 70 degrees even in 95 deg days.

You spend $25K on a TT and stay cold or spend $150K on a class A and burn up. Go figure.

2007 Chevy Silverado
Old 03-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing that really hurts the class A is the front cap and windshield....summer or winter. If you look behind the cabinets in the front cap, there is generally ZERO insulation. Rear caps are not any better.

Ken