Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #1

Air conditioning not as cool as other unit

Hi there,

We have a 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K and lately have been experiencing the front AC unit not as cool as the rear unit. I know the units are different BTU but wasn't sure which one was which. Today I cleaned the coils and filters and it didn't make much improvement. Anyone know what else to check?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Air conditioning not as cool as other unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Hi there,

We have a 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K and lately have been experiencing the front AC unit not as cool as the rear unit. I know the units are different BTU but wasn't sure which one was which. Today I cleaned the coils and filters and it didn't make much improvement. Anyone know what else to check?

Thanks!

I see your from Florida
What area of the country are you now and are you running 2 Coleman roof air conditioners?
Jesse

Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Put a thermometer in the air return and in the exit and measure the temperature drop between input and output. While the units might have different capacities of how much heat they can remove from the air, the ability to drop the temperature should be almost the same.

Another variable to consider is how well the units are ducted. If an opening allows cool air to be returned to the intake, cooling efficiency is reduced. You might remove the grid over the return and check that air flow is properly routed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
I see your from Florida
What area of the country are you now and are you running 2 Coleman roof air conditioners?
Jesse
I'm just north of Tampa. Yes they are two Coleman roof airs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Put a thermometer in the air return and in the exit and measure the temperature drop between input and output. While the units might have different capacities of how much heat they can remove from the air, the ability to drop the temperature should be almost the same.

Another variable to consider is how well the units are ducted. If an opening allows cool air to be returned to the intake, cooling efficiency is reduced. You might remove the grid over the return and check that air flow is properly routed.
I'll look at this tomorrow. I have a point and shoot laser so I will test around the opening. Also have some aluminum tape to seal leaks.

We feel like this just started over the last month or so. You most can notice when you're driving with generator on, house AC and dash AC on...I am now finding myself watching the generator indicator as it never feels like cool air is towards the front....thinking it had shut off on me.

I'll post back tomorrow when it's hot out.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
It's very hot now and you may have an ac problem. The front ac is taking very hot air in to condition. Like to know what your laser reads at the front window and cab ceiling at mid day. For now it will help to get a running start by setting both ac's a little colder than you usually wood early. I have had to hang blankets in the cab to block the brutal sun beating in even with 3 ac's running at the beach. Also shut all shades.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Wow so there is a tremendous amount of cool air swirling from all angles around the air intake. On the sides it looks like I'm getting air around the air conditioner. In the middle it looks like air is coming across the from the output side to the intake openings

Should I maybe build walls around the sides and tape off everything?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467911807.531259.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	132290Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467911817.579679.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	132291Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467911828.196783.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	132292
Old 07-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Duct tape can always be removed if it doesn't improve cooling. Go for it!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #8

Good news...figured out a massive leak in the cooling system. Half part poor installation and half just a little fatigue.

I removed the trim panel on the ceiling and found the blower side with huge holes carved out directly over to the intake side. This looks like to run cabling but man did they leave a mess. I stuck some cardboard in there and taped it in place. Also found the pass through duct work leaking at the bottom.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467930706.118964.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	132333

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467930733.019857.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	132334

The next thing was a very inadequate seal where the trim keeps the two sides separate. This was probably just from some fatigue of the plastic. A nice 1" thick camper tape type foam would have worked but I didn't have that. I folded up a new towel and stuck it in there.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467930829.244427.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	132335

After testing I found a huge increase in duct pressure, no cold air in the return side, and I think my weaker AC has improved. We are dry camping this weekend and it will be a good test.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #9
cwk

Good news on finding the problems.

I would advise, after your weekend testing, that you replace the cardboard and towel with something that will not rot and/or grow mold or mildew. Since there is very cold air on one side of your cardboard and towel, and the other side has hot/humid air, condensation will form and destroy your temporary fixes. And, mold can be a very serious health issue. You do not want mold spores being blown around inside your RV.

I will let someone else with more experience in this type of repair chime in with what material(s) would be best suited for your repairs.

Meanwhile, enjoy the cool air! I am in NE FL and the temps are hovering around 100F today! Yuck.

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning