Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #1

First of all, thanks to those of you who answered my question about my satellite connections. Here's my next question: I have two A/C's on the 2006 Forest River. They both work fine in the A/C mode. The one in the bedroom has a "furnace" position on the remote control and a "emergency heat" button on the unit. When I switch it to "furnace", nothing happens. A friend told me that it might have a heat strip built in but it might not. How can you tell if it does? Also, there is a duotherm thermostat mounted on the wall. It does not seem to do anything at all. What's it for? There is another one in the living room that controls the forward mounted A/C unit. Thanks in advance for your help. By the way, I have been gone from irv2 for a while since I had sold my 5'ver. It's good to be back amongst you all. Stay safe.

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #2

First of all, thanks to those of you who answered my question about my satellite connections. Here's my next question: I have two A/C's on the 2006 Forest River. They both work fine in the A/C mode. The one in the bedroom has a "furnace" position on the remote control and a "emergency heat" button on the unit. When I switch it to "furnace", nothing happens. A friend told me that it might have a heat strip built in but it might not. How can you tell if it does? Also, there is a duotherm thermostat mounted on the wall. It does not seem to do anything at all. What's it for? There is another one in the living room that controls the forward mounted A/C unit. Thanks in advance for your help. By the way, I have been gone from irv2 for a while since I had sold my 5'ver. It's good to be back amongst you all. Stay safe.

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Devil Dog, are the two themostats the same? You may have a thermostat that is capable f controling not only the air conditioner but also the furnace(s). If you have tow furnaces the both t'stat should operate one furnace each. If you only have one furnace they usually put it's control on the fron t'stat. To find out if you have a heat strip simply turn on the emergency heat and run the setting up high, it shoul bring on the fan and you should feel a slight temperature rise after a few minutes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #4

Devil Dog,I have the same set up as you. The front works both your front a/c and the furnace. The thermostat in the bedroom works only the a/c in the bedroom.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I second that. I also have the same set up and the bedroom thermostat is for AC only.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #6

Well, being an old jarhead, I still need some more explanation. The thermostat in the living room runs the heater and living room AC, no problem. The thermostat in the bedroom looks like the one in the living room but I can't see that it does anything. Nothing has happened with me playing around with it. The remote hanging on the wall? Now that's a different story. It turns the AC on in the bedroom. But, when I put the selector cursor on "FURN"....nothing happens. Nada, zip. So, I don't know if the roof unit in the bedroom has a heat strip or not. The coach furnace does not do that great of a job heating the bedroom but makes the rest of the coach toasty. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #7

RV Wizard, I understand what you are saying. I think I tried the "emergency heat" button. Nothing happened. I will try it again this weekend. Thanks, bud.

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Old 03-01-2007, 03:13 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

"Furnace" usually means a real furnace and not heat strips or Heat pump heating cycle. And I have no idea what "emergency heat" might be. Sounds like a call to Forest River Customer Service might be in order...

Is the a/c a Dometic? Carrier? Coleman? Duotherm (on the t-stat) is a Dometic brand name, but you say it doesn't do anything at all???
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My manual states that the bedroom furnace switch is a dummy switch. It is not hooked up to anything. Front thermostat is for both Ac and furnace and the bedroom thermostat is for Ac only.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #10

Thanks for all the excellent replies. Stevegeorgetown, I have a question for you. Why do you suppose the thermostat in the bedroom is a dummy?

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #11

Remove the interior A/C shroud and look in the intake air box. If you have a "heat strip", which is usually shaped like a tall U, it should be visible, with a heavy cord running to the junction box.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Devil dog. My manual shows 3 different thermostats. One is the kind that I have ( air and furnace ) and the second has a heat strip setting and the third has a heat pump setting. It doesnt show a thermostat with air only. I would only be guessing to say that maybe they dont make thermostats with air only settings and I think you can only have one thermostat for one furnace. You say you have a remote control for you air conditoner? I only have the two thermostats in my unit. No remotes or anything on the ceiling units. Is your unit a Georgetown?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2004 Allegro the rear thermostat is for the rear air conditioner only, no furnace. The front thermostat controls the front AC and the furnace.

Dieselclacker
Old 03-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #14

Yes Sir, it is a Georgetown. 2006 370XL. It has the thermostat in the living room that works and controls the front AC and furnace. The one identical to it is mounted in the bedroom and does not appear to do anything. The remote is mounted above the bedroom thermostat on the wall. It has buttons for heat, ac and fan. The AC in the bedroom works off of the remote. The "furn" setting does not seem to do anything.

2006 Georgetown 370TS