Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #1

Air Disc Brake Job

Air Disc Brake Job

We have a 2000 Monaco 43' Signature Caesar w/tag that has about 83k miles and is in need of disc brake job on the drive axle. I noticed this when having new tires put on it recently.

I called Monaco. The only thing they could tell me is that the coach has "Meritor" brand brakes on it.. I called Meritor(888-725-9355, 3, 1) and talked to a very helpful gentleman in their "information services" dept. He needed the # off the lower tag on the coach rear differential housing which I had handy. On this coach the # is RS21145NFCF432. With this he was able to tell me that the brakes on the drive axle are "Meritor DuraMaster ADB 1560". He emailed me a website where I could view/download/print all the necessary part and mx info.

Go to: http://xpresswayplus.meritor.com/
click the "Literature On Demand(LOD)" icon
now you can search their publications by "catagory" or "publication"
the "publication" search #s I found for ADB series brakes are: MM4M and PB8857ADB
The "catagory" search I found useful was: "brakes" then "truck" then "tech pub".

Now I needed to find a good source for parts. I printed a list of local Meritor dealers off the Meritor website. I then called my brother-in-law for advice. He has had his own diesel truck repair business for 25+ yrs. I asked him what parts/kits would probably be necessary for this brake job. First, he told me that he rarely see's disc brakes on the Med & HD trucks that they work on. They have drum brakes 99% of the time. I told him that the air disc brakes on the coach were working fine, but the pads didn't have much meat left on them, and there are heat cracks in the rotors. He advised that it would probably only need disc pads and rotors. He gave me "his" favorite local part source. I called them and gave them the Meritor part# of the disc pad kit. They had them in stock only because the local fire trucks use the same disc pads. Their jobber price($350) was much higher than what I can buy the same Meritor brand disc pad kit for at www.finditparts.com ($230). I figured out why my brother-in-law likes his local source. Its not for their prices, its because they deliver and have a big inventory. I called "my" favorite local OTR truck parts source, and they had the Meritor brand pads in stock for $245. They could also get the pads in another brand that I've never heard of? from one of their other stores for $175. I went with the Meritor brand.

I would have bought/ordered rotors but nobody has been able to tell me exactly which part# rotor this coach uses. So, in a few days, when I get into the brake job, I'll take all the necessary measurements so as to purchase the correct part#. After looking at an old receipt I have from a 98 Signature 42' Classic we use to own, that the previous owner had a brake job done on at a MH shop, I'm thinkin I'll be able to get ea rotor for about $250ea. The previous owner payed $450ea in 2006 $. Ouch!! They also payed $500 for the pads! A fool and his $$$.

We hope this helps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #2

Great info but I got some questions. I find that hard to believe that the drive axle brakes are worn out and the rotors are heat cracked at 83K miles. That tells me that there maybe a problem with the front brakes and maybe the tag axle brakes that are causing the drive axle brakes to do most the work and overheat. Do you know how to and have you adjusted your brakes on a routine schedule? Do you have a Jake brake on the motor and do you try and use it? My brakes at 37,000 miles look brand new.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I too think you have a problem on that axle. Motorhomes rarely wear out service brakes and cracked rotors seems like a sign of overheating.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #4

Air disc brake job

Att
lonestarace
I have a 1995 Monaco and am have a lot of trouble getting info on the rear disc brakes. I need roters and pads possibly caliper parts and seals. In yourposting you mentioned having an old invoice from a 98 Sig do you have any part numbers on it. I am trying to get as much info as possible before I take it apart . I would appreciate any help I can get Thks
BIGGUYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #5

brakes

gray iron rotors, # 3218-Y-1065

Pull up tech pub # PB-8857ADB as I described in my original post, and you'll find a list of 30 different rotors for Meritor ADB-1560 series disc brakes. To pick the correct one you need to measure the following dimensions off you old rotor: diameter, width, pilot hole diameter, # of mounting holes, hole size, bolt cirle diameter, flange thickness, then sometimes the rotor is available in 2 types od iron, gray or ductile(more $$).

The pads for my 2000 Signature 43' Caesar are # KIT15625PM

Hope this helps?

Don
Old 08-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #6

Lonestarace,my 1999 has the same brake system (I think) about the same mileage, the brakes look like new. One of the problems you may be having, is improper lubing of the brake cal assy. There are very specific instructions for lubing the caliper (at least on my 1999), if they are not followed it will cause your brakes to drag slightly. Since you have the service manual downloaded, it explains it in detail.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
gray iron rotors, # 3218-Y-1065

Pull up tech pub # PB-8857ADB as I described in my original post, and you'll find a list of 30 different rotors for Meritor ADB-1560 series disc brakes. To pick the correct one you need to measure the following dimensions off you old rotor: diameter, width, pilot hole diameter, # of mounting holes, hole size, bolt cirle diameter, flange thickness, then sometimes the rotor is available in 2 types od iron, gray or ductile(more $$).

The pads for my 2000 Signature 43' Caesar are # KIT15625PM

Hope this helps?

Don
Tanks for the help it gives me a place to start. Dwight
BIGGUYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Don, Thanks for the information. I have a 99 Signature 42ft with a part number for pads as KIT 15627PM. Meritor is listing it at $910 but are out of stock and I have not been able to find a local parts vendor who can find them.

Can you share the contact information for your local parts dealer?

the rotor part number was 3218K167 for $235.70 through NAPA.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:46 AM   #9

brakes

Online at www.finditparts.com the 3218K167 rotor is available for $181ea + shipping, and the KIT15627PM Shoes(4) for $505 + shipping.

I suppose you have drum & disc brakes?

Locally to me in San Antonio @ Ogburns Truck Parts 210-662-8848, or they have store in other cities, www.ogburns.com

By the way, you can have your old shoes re-lined.

We hope this helps?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
Online at www.finditparts.com the 3218K167 rotor is available for $181ea + shipping, and the KIT15627PM Shoes(4) for $505 + shipping.

I suppose you have drum & disc brakes?

Locally to me in San Antonio @ Ogburns Truck Parts 210-662-8848, or they have store in other cities, www.ogburns.com

By the way, you can have your old shoes re-lined.

We hope this helps?
Thanks, The brake pads crossed over to a Rockwell 4 pad Kit number KSR7017173. I was able to get them locally for $286 and the rotors were $235 each tax included.

Fortunately the tag brake shoes were fine and the front disc also. Someone had greased the rear calipers which increased the pressure on the pads and caused them to wear excessively. There is a warning about that in the manual and specific instruction on how to apply grease to calipers.

my next project is the fuel sending unit made by Centroid of Edgewater Florida. Monaco wanted $292 so it will interesting to see what the manufacture can do. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
Thanks, The brake pads crossed over to a Rockwell 4 pad Kit number KSR7017173. I was able to get them locally for $286 and the rotors were $235 each tax included.

Fortunately the tag brake shoes were fine and the front disc also. Someone had greased the rear calipers which increased the pressure on the pads and caused them to wear excessively. There is a warning about that in the manual and specific instruction on how to apply grease to calipers.

my next project is the fuel sending unit made by Centroid of Edgewater Florida. Monaco wanted $292 so it will interesting to see what the manufacture can do. I will let you know what I find out.
Dan, I replaced fuel sending unit ( Centroid ) as I remember they will not sell directly to the public. There is a part number on it, with it you should be able to shop around check boat dealers as well. I got mine from Foretravel. I don't remember it being that much.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Bruce, Good advice on the marine source. After getting the measurements from the sending unit and ordering it as a marine sending unit (same exact part) the price is $76. What a savings with just a little research.
appreciate the feedback
Dan
Old 10-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #13

Brake Job

We ended up having the rotors turned for $30 ea and installing new disc pads(#KIT15625PM) and seals(National#370003A).

Unless you bought your coach new, and have done all the work on it yourself, you never know what it has or hasn't been thru.

We hope this helps?

Don
Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #14

ABS Speed Sensor

Now lets say you want or need an ABS speed sensor. Again, like with brakes for our 2000 Monaco Sig, don't call the Monaco parts dept. They haven't a clue. Call Meritor(or whoever) like I described in post#1 here and give them the model# off the axle tag. They'll quickly give you a part # so you can call your local truck parts store for price and availability.

We hope this helps!?

Don