Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #1

air filters for diesel pusher

I was told at a recent RV rally seminar that paper air filters for diesel RV engines should be discarded after 2 years of manufacture. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it true? Andrews
Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #2

Replace air filter two years from manufacture? That is a new one for me and I have been dealing with diesel engine for over 38 years. Could they have meant '2 years after they were installed'? The air filter in our MH is going on three years now and it still looks good.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #3

this is something that recently appeared as a recommendation..true? false? marketing ploy? who knows
Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #4

If you are using real filters, that's total c-rap. I'll be changing my 5.5 year old filter tomorrow, just cuz. It has 32k on it. Filter-Minder shows ~30% restriction. I'm replacing the OEM Fleetgard "paper" filter w/the same thing, cuz I need something to do w/my time. As long as the tyvek-ish stuff isn't perforated by some fast moving debris, and the restriction (amount of built up dirt) is OK, the filter should be good. Just make sure you get a good seal w/the new one, and don't drop dirt into the intake while replacing. My air filter can is horizontal, so I'll swab it out w/a wet rag to clean it up, then pop in the new filter.

If you are using cheap, including actual paper, filters then 2 years use is probably a good number. If you drive in the rain, open the filter can & check to see the media isn't degraded by any mist you may pick up. Had a GM diesel rig using GM filter- it got soggy in a driving rain then fuzzed up like a frizzy hair-do, and I couldn't tell if it was any good at filtering any more, so I replaced it. Good media shouldn't do that.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

I just replaced the air filter on my Cummins at 7200 miles because it was the original on my 2007. The new filter specifically said in the instructions not to use any filter, new or not, that was over two years old. It could be a way to sell more filters. I don't know.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews View Post
I was told at a recent RV rally seminar that paper air filters for diesel RV engines should be discarded after 2 years of manufacture. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it true? Andrews
Sounds like advice given by a guy working on a commission selling air filters. Do what the owner's manual says.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, actually, the problem isn't the paper media, it's the glue that seals the media to the canister. The manufacturer feels that the glue should be OK for two years before becoming brittle, developing cracks, or losing hold of the paper or the canister. Any of those conditions can allow dust to enter straight into the engine intake.

I lost a gas tractor engine many years ago due to this very reason. Ever since, for peace of mind I have adhered to changing my air filters out regularly on everything that I own.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ever heard these? "they don't make them like the used to", "built-in obsolete date" and a few more sayings that are so true! Filters are covered by the above! I just found an old filter for my tractor on the barn shelf and pulled the current one to replace. Difference in quality is like night and day! Old was made to last, new was made to fail.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #9

I would monitor the Filter Minder, replace it when it indicates it's necessary.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

There have been enough problems with the adhesive disintegrating on paper-core filters that the diesel chassis manufacturers (who get the warranty claims) have begun to recommend replacement on age rather than the filter minder reading. I wrote to Racor (filter manufacturer) about this and they did not agree, but they aren't replacing engines (at least not yet).

A diesel engine that ingests particles of dried glue will soon need a ultra-expensive tear down overhaul. Think in terms of $15k-$20k in cost and you will likely decide that a new filter is cheap insurance.

Some of the indications are that the problem occurs when excessive moisture gets pulled into the filter canister, wetting the glue and perhaps hastening its breakdown. That would suggest that only some coach body & chassis configurations might have this potential problem. But how to know if yours is one of them until its too late?

That said, I figure to get about three years out of mine. I begin to see a loss of performance when the filter minder reaches the halfway mark anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #11

There is a thread over on the Cummins forum with Spike45 as a primary poster. He has just retired as a field engineer for Fleetguard. He also worked for Cat previous to that. He has some very interesting observations concerning filtration issues, particularly air filtration. It would be worth your while to look up those threads.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=Gary RVRoamer;1321998]
A diesel engine that ingests particles of dried glue will soon need a ultra-expensive tear down overhaul. /QUOTE]

Assuming the defective filter is replaced before the engine is damaged from ingesting thousands of gallons of dust, or particles of dried glue, particles of dried glue can demolish a perfectly good turbocharger in seconds.

Cost of filter, versus cost of turbo, or engine. Hmmmmm.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #13

I am not one that wants to take a chance "dusting" my diesel. $65 is cheap insurance.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't understand why some people take it as a personal challenge to see how long they can run their air filter, even bragging about how many years since they changed it last. I doubt they will ruin their engine, but the loss in performance is reason enough to change them out at least every two years.

Do you do the same thing with your water filters at home? Do you wait until the water turns brown and then change it, bragging to the neighbors.

I laugh when someone spends the money for a diesel coach and then goes cheap on servicing it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote