Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Question Air Horns Stopped Working?

The air horns on my MH stopped working. Has anyone had this happen and found the problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #2

Hello Travel8
Not familiar with your coach model, but "air horns" run off of the onboard air compressor system. Basically, there is a solenoid activate air valve in the system. When you hit the horn, this valve opens and lets air to the horns. In my Newmar, there is a switch on the dash that needs to be turned on for the air horns to to active. If there was a air leak in the air horn system, your air in the system would not hit max level. Therefore, I believe this is an electrical problem or fuse? You need to find out where that air solenoid is located and test the voltage and or ground to it with a meter.

Best Regards
Dutch Master
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel8 View Post
The air horns on my MH stopped working. Has anyone had this happen and found the problem?
Could be a faulty 12V air solenoid valve....or a blown fuse.

12V AIR SOLENOID VALVE
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Was it from overuse? Just kiddin....
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

If you have a pusher, solenoid should be right up front. Look around where your air line quick connect is. Pull the power plug and test, if voltage is there it's the solenoid. Just replaced mine
Dadfeisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadfeisty View Post
If you have a pusher, solenoid should be right up front. Look around where your air line quick connect is. Pull the power plug and test, if voltage is there it's the solenoid. Just replaced mine
Thanks for the help. Ok I located the solenoid, but how do I test it to see if it is getting power? The solenoid has a tube going into the side and one coming out of the top.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

Assume you've checked the fuse. Have you?

It could be your solenoid valve. Have someone push the horn button and see if it clicks. If it clicks, you can remove the outlet tubing connection on the valve and make sure air is discharged when someone pushes the horn button.

If the solenoid valve is working it is time to check horns themselves. I had critters build a nest/web in the bells on both of my horns. I removed the horns, looked down the tubes and saw the webs. I removed the webs and the horns now work.

If your solenoid doesn't seem to be working you need to check the circuit between the horn button and valve. On my coach, the horn button grounds the circuit for the solenoid. There is always a 12 volt supply to the solenoid. Check the wires to your solenoid and see if you have a constant 12 volt supply. If you have a constant 12 volt supply wire, try grounding the other wire and see if the solenoid clicks. If it does you can suspect the horn button or connection to the button. If it doesn't click then I would suspect the solenoid valve is bad.

I now exercise my air horns while traveling just to make sure they are working.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #8

Not all have constant 12v. My Damon uses a relay, so when you push the button it sends 12v to the solenoid. You can get a cheap 12v tester, around $3 at the hardware store.
Dadfeisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #9

Update. Replaced solenoid. Air horns now working.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel8 View Post
Update. Replaced solenoid. Air horns now working.

Thank you all for your help.

My original solenoid would get corroded and I cleaned it a few times by disassembling it and finally replaced it.

What I discovered was that I wasn't using the air horns enough as the solenoid needs some exercise.

So now when I'm out on the open highway and no one is nearby I blow the air horns a few times to keep it from gumming up.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote