Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Air in water ??

Hi since I unwinterized my rv everytime I run the pump the water is full of air almost foamy My first thought was its a loose connection between the tank and pump but it doesnt seem to be My ? is there a way to tell if the pump is sucking air internally? I dont have a problem getting a new pump I just want to make sure thats what I need first Thanks for any input

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
With the water heater bypassed (unless it's full) you need to open every single faucet in the RV including the outdoor showers, washer hookup, the toilet, the toilet sprayer, sink sprayer, filtered drinking water dispenser, icemaker, swamp cooler, and this is important, all of the line drain valves-- then let the fresh water run for about 5 minutes. You can use 'city water', but using your tank & pump is better. You don't need the faucets wide open, just enough to let some water out. After you're satisfied cool, clear water is coming out of every orifice, start turning off all the valves. You'll have no air or residual antifreeze afterwards.

We had a 36' Challenger 5'er a few years ago, and for the longest time we kept getting antifreeze foam at times. I finally figured out it was hiding in the drain lines....

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
paz

I think PlayItForwrd hit it right - if you have foam in your water after de-winterizing you still have antifreeze in the water, even if you can't taste or see it. Purge everything as suggested and the water should clear up. If you left any filters in place, take them out and discard them since they will be contaminated with antifreeze. Replace the filters only after the water system is completely clean.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every time you run the pump the water is full of air.. I am going out on a limb here and assuming you actually have water in your fresh water tank right.

Check the hoses between the fresh tank and the pump.. Also check the water flow from the tank's outlet (you may need to remove a hose to do this) and, this is a biggie, the pump-inlet strainer.

Many times when winterizing the pump inlet strainer is left full of water, this can cause a crach, which can cause the pump to suck air when it's running.

Also even if it's still solid.. if the outlet strainer in the tank A:Exists (not all have them) and B: is slimed over and clogged, the pump may well suck air through the seals.

Finally on some coaches there is a valve between tank and pump (mine has that) make sure it is open all the way
Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #5

Ive tried everthing mentioned except the strainer maybe that will be it Thanks for the advice not all forums are this friendly to noobies
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing on the strainer.. When I winterize I open the strainer to let the water drain out (Since I do dry method) and it's not all that easy to get it right putting it back together. (Or so I found)

Thankfully I use a different method to winterize now.

You see there are 3 methods

Wet (Pink stuff)
Dry (Air)
South...
(Strap a snow blower to the front of the rig and when you stop for fuel and someone says "What the )(*#@ is that thing?" PARK for the winter)

That's the method I used last winter.. Worked great.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #7

That "SOUTH" method is the best thing I've heard in a long time. You made my day. Too bad I can't use that method since I already live down here.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandapril View Post
Ive tried everthing mentioned except the strainer maybe that will be it
That's what is was for me one spring. I took the strainer cap off to clean it when I winterized, but when I put it back it must not have been quite tight. Looking at it with the pump running, you could see the bubbles where it was sucking in the air.

That would explain bubbles, but in my experience, foam is antifreeze, just as PlayItForward and paz mention. This spring, even after flushing everything out, the first few times when I let it sit for a few days, and then run a faucet, I still got some foam that smells like antifreeze.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Im not 100% sure what it was but I when I took it apart the nut didnt seem as tight as it should be and the strainer had some white crystal type material in it almost seemed like dried antifreeze but I cleaned everthing put it back together and its fine now
Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Chad - more important than small successes like you just encountered, is your attitude towards repairs. Don't ever be afraid of taking something apart if it's screwed together, and use the camera in your cell to document dis-assembly. You always have this forum to fall back on, if needed. Ain't nuthin more fun than helping your neighbor fix something you just repaired on your rig!!