Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #1

I drained the hot water tank to day and re-filled using city water then using the pump I got a lot of air coming out of the the hot water faucet,then the water would run with good pressure, but when I turned off the faucet the pump would run for about 15-20 sec. Faucet turned on, water will run with good pressure --with no pump running-- for about 5 sec., then the pump comes on. Turn off faucet and the pump runs 8 to 10 sec. I'm thinking there is a air bubble in the hot water tank working like a accumulator tank.
Maybe this is the way it's supposed to work but from the time we bought this M/H the pump came on when the faucet was opened and the pump went off when faucet was turned off.
How should the pump work in an M/H without an accumulator tank?
Thanks, Greg
'03 Winnebago Sightseer 30-B

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #2

I drained the hot water tank to day and re-filled using city water then using the pump I got a lot of air coming out of the the hot water faucet,then the water would run with good pressure, but when I turned off the faucet the pump would run for about 15-20 sec. Faucet turned on, water will run with good pressure --with no pump running-- for about 5 sec., then the pump comes on. Turn off faucet and the pump runs 8 to 10 sec. I'm thinking there is a air bubble in the hot water tank working like a accumulator tank.
Maybe this is the way it's supposed to work but from the time we bought this M/H the pump came on when the faucet was opened and the pump went off when faucet was turned off.
How should the pump work in an M/H without an accumulator tank?
Thanks, Greg
'03 Winnebago Sightseer 30-B

Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #3

I agree you have air in the system, which will eventually purge. Whether it is trapped in the hot water tank specifically is a guess. From the 15-20 seconds of pump operation after you close the valve, that pretty much confirms the air inclusion. This interval should shorten to near zero in the very near future as you use the hot water another 10 or so times. The more water you pass through the more air you should remove...theoretically.
Be patient when removing these air inclusions. They can be maddeningly stubborn at times. I battled one for 2 hours (in the rain) after foolishly allowing my fresh water tank to pump dry. I was almost ready to believe I had toasted the pump when it finally pumped to pressure and shut off. Still working a year later.
Someone more familiar than me with the inside of the water heaters in these rigs may be able to shed light on the accumulator theory
Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I'm reading your post correctly, you should have a air cushion in the hot water tank. If your pressure relief valve was closed when you refilled the tank, the air cushion was created at the top of the tank. After numerous uses, the air cushion is absorbed into the water at which time it has to be reestablished.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
All of the answers you got are good. I thought that some clarification might be needed as to the air cushion in the water heater. There is a cushion in the WH to allow for the expansion of the water when heated. When that is not present, the water heater pressure relief will drip as water expands when heated and it must gosomewhere.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the help. You were right about to getting better with time. The pump runs for only about 2 sec. now.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A easy way to eliminate the air is to hook up to city water and purge your system using city water pressure instead of your pump. Saves on the pump and is more efficient because of the pressure.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
paz

With every RV I have ever owned, my procedure for filling the hot water tank was to put in the water heater drain plug, hook up to city water, open the relief valve and fill 'till water came out the overflow, then close the relief valve. I don't know if this means I don't have an air cushion or not; but I never had a problem with excessive air or an erratic pump. Never had a problem with the relief valve leaking either.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW,

The following is from Winnebago's Service Tips -

CARE & MAINTENANCE OF WATER HEATERS

Most tanks are designed with an internal air gap at the top of the tank to reduce dripping. It may be necessary to replenish the air from time to time. To replace the air start by turning off the water heater system, shut off the incoming water supply and open the closest hot water faucet. Pull the handle on the pressure-temperature relief valve straight out to allow the water to flow from the top part of the tank. Once the water has stopped flowing allow the handle on the valve to snap shut, close the faucet and re-engage the water supply.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
oldpa;

My water pump does the same thing. I do however have a small pressure tank down by the water pump. This is supposed to stop the pulsing of the pump when a little water is being used. If you have a small pressure tank the time frame sounds about right.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #11

I drained my hot water tank and refilled it.. purged the air out of the system... the water in the the hot water tank heats... but I cannot get hot water at any of the taps..... HELP
Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ace V6:
I drained my hot water tank and refilled it.. purged the air out of the system... the water in the the hot water tank heats... but I cannot get hot water at any of the taps..... HELP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ace V6, welcome to iRV2.

I assume you have cold water in your cold taps. Do you get no water from the hot taps or cold water? If cold water, I would say either your hot water heater bypass valves are in the wrong position or the valves on your outside shower are open and the water is shut off at the outside shower head. Either condition will result in cold water crossing over into the hot water lines.

If you have no water from the hot water taps, then maybe you forgot to open the outlet and/or inlet valve to the hot water heater. The cross-over valve is also closed prevent any water from getting through.

Let us know what you find out.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote