Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

Air pump on firewall?

Noticed an intermittent buzzing noise coming from outside the firewall while driving my motorhome yesterday. Extended the generator and found that the noise was coming from a small pump mounted directly above the center of the generator on the firewall. The pump is connected to a round container about the size of a softball via rubber hose. Any ideas what this is and why is keeps cycling on and off?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #2

Forgot to mention that it is an air pump of some sort, not a fluid pump.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Probably a vacuum pump used by the dash HVAC controls. If it keeps running you may have a vacuum leak at one of the connections.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #4

That is kind of what I thought. There is an open connector on the passenger side of the pump. When I put my finger over the connector, I can feel it pulling vacuum and the cycling of the pump slows down, but still continues. The strange thing is that the connector does not look like there was ever a hose connected to it and there is no loose hose hanging near it. Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #5

I suggest you post your question in the Thor Owners Forum. Perhaps someone there has been through this before.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Probably a vacuum pump used by the dash HVAC controls. If it keeps running you may have a vacuum leak at one of the connections.
I used to have a car (Well van) that had low-vacuum issues and installed a vacuum canister.. You described it perfectly (a round container about the size of a softball )

Thus I support the Vacuum pump theory.. Diesels need them.. Front Engine Gassers .. the engine sucks (I am actually being serious).
Old 04-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
Noticed an intermittent buzzing noise coming from outside the firewall while driving my motorhome yesterday. Extended the generator and found that the noise was coming from a small pump mounted directly above the center of the generator on the firewall. The pump is connected to a round container about the size of a softball via rubber hose. Any ideas what this is and why is keeps cycling on and off?
Stump Jumper,
As has been stated, its' a vacuum pump. Diesels primarily don't supply or, create I should say, any vacuum like a gas engine does. And, as you most likely know, there's still a need for vacuum operated/controlled components on many of todays autos/trucks/cars/motor homes/space ships/submarines, ooops got carried away. Anyway, since vacuum control is an easy way to control doors and ducts for A/C and heated air, you need VACUUM to do that.

Well, that little pump you're hearing is your vacuum pump. But, kind of like an air compressor builds pressure in an air tank, to be used at a later date for multiple reasons, vacuum needs to be stored for much of the same principles. Hence, your little "Soft ball" sized sphere. On many cars and trucks of yesteryear, there appeared to be black painted "tomato juice cans", "Tuna cans" and all kinds of "can" looking vacuum storage containers.

Finally, most manufacturers just resorted to the use of those little spheres as vacuum storage containers. Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Stump Jumper
Do the vent controls for your AC & Heat work, are you able to change the type of delivery from defrost to circulate or any other location.

I would take a close look at the loose hose you've found and see if could have been connected to a hard to see location.

I have a vacuum generator on the firewall of my coach. I had been doing some work on the generator, installing remote start, and accidently dislodged a hose. When we got ready to leave I could hear the vacuum generator clicking and finally found a hose dislodged.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #9

In response to your question, the heater controls on my dash do not work. As a matter of fact, the blower control does not work either. I just bought this motorhome last Fall and did not have the chance to use the dash controls. I am starting to wonder if there wasn't a problem with it that was not disclosed. I will try to track down what I assume is an electrical problem with the blower and will check all hoses and connections on the vacuum system as well. Would this vacuum system service anything other than the heater controls?
Old 04-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are a couple of earlier threads with pics, etc. that might help: Vacuum Pump Failure and vacuum line leak anyone?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

Doubtful