Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

air ride pressure problem

I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 39', 360 Cummins. I am having a problem with the air system (for air ride). The "rear air" system takes ofrever to come up to a pressure that will release the alarm for low pressure. It never does go as high as it did before (or up to par with the front) and seems to hover just over minimum and alarms and shows low air pressure intermittently.
PReviously both front and rear ran somewhere around 100+lbs, adjusting of course for different conditions, but generally in that area. Now the rear barely makes 75, front works as always.
Service company here says that the air is actually working fine with no leaks, but that the gauge/sensor is not.. They say it needs a new panel cluster, the whole gauge panel assembly. But they are having great difficulty finding one.
Any ideas or anyone seen this problem before. Or any ideas where one might find an assembly? The "new Monaco" not much help.
Any input would be great
Thanks,
longhornjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After you checked all sources there are always RV Salvage yards accross the country. Maybe if you post your location someone can direct you to one near you. I know of one in Florida that I plan to visit in the near future.

Looks like you should be able to get a new one for a 2008. I am surprised that Monaco won't help you.

One other idea. Silverleaf may be able to replace the whole panel. So it would not hurt to ask.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

Joe:
1) IIWMI'd take this to the Monaco forum, you'll probably get more targeted info there including maybe gauge mfgr & contact, and
2) my gauge cluster (all dial type gauges plus idiot light clusters) were made by Actia who is still in business & still servicing their gear; I helped a customer diagnose & replace his air monitor light section when it failed similarly, & ordered the part direct from mfgr.
3) you can probably rig your own manual gauge to splice into chassis air to get a solid check on this; mine is on an air tool nipple that plugs into the chassis air chuck and is easy to use whenever I want to have a look see.
4) Hope to see you around the forums.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #4

Greystroke, thanks for the quick reply. I'm located in Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area)
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think your handle give it away.

Welcome to the Forum.

If no one responds with salvage yards in Texas you can use the Search function. I know there have been threads that listed them. May take time to find them.

Good Luck.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You could try Northwest RV Supply in Oregon. They have alot of Monaco parts. I just google it when I'm looking. Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
longhornjoe......This doesn't sound right. Does the rear of the coach physically take longeto lift when empty? If so, that would have nothing to do with the gauges. They're only displaying what's being sent to them. You may very well have a sensor that is out, but it would be back at the rear tank or at one of the rear levelers. The sensors should be available and similar to many RV systems.

Did you check the air drain at the trailer hitch? Could it have been knocked open?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #8

Don:
I have not checked that. Took it into the service center and they have it. But the gauge cluster does not sound right to me either, that's why I thought I'd bring it here to the forum and get some input. I'll pass this on, thanks,
Old 05-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Longhorn,

If you want to check their work you can do it by buying a cheap pressure guage (0-150) and plumb it into manifolds that are on the system.

Shut down the air.

Bleed it off.

Find a manifold for the questionable system.(front or rear)

Remove one of the plugs (my guess is 1/4 NPT)

Get fittings a the local hardware and plumb in the guage.

Pressurize and compare with your main guage.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also on mine when I bleed the air bags the residual air in the taks stays above 60 overnight. Good way to check for leaks

I have an XC Freightliner chassis and my manifolds are very accessable. If you need a pix of one of my manifolds let me know.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #10

As others have said Im not getting the guage thing. does the rear of your coach come up to ride height? Sounds like to me you may have an issue in the rear air ride, ride height valve, stuck dump valve not closing allowing pressure to build.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote