RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #1

Air ride suspension

I have never owned a mh with air bags. So, question; can you let out/dump some of the air to lower the coach an inch or two, and still move the coach. (as in: Back into garage) my door and the height of the mh are essentially the same! Wanting to know if i have to remodel the door! The mh in question will be a tiffin pheaton if that makes a difference.

6Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
If yours is like our Damon, you can lower the bags and the coach will lower a few inches. When you start the engine it starts pumping air and will inflate the bags when you put it in gear.
If your luck and memory is as bad as mine, some time in the future you will forget to lower the bags and back into the top of the opening, damaging the coach AC and other things or air up before and hesitate for some reason and hit it going out - same results.
Spend a few bucks and save a few thousand.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #3

yes without any issues. they have solid rubber stops inside so no damage to them
Old 03-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
However, they will automatically try to keep the ride height when the engine runs. On some you can keep it lowered, most not though. It's a safety feature.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The problem you will have is no air to the brakes, without air you cant release them. if you can they are in serious need of adjustment. The bags generally air up before the brakes release. If you can't clear with fully inflated air bags I wouldn't plan on going in there.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #6

You should have a ďsuspension dumpĒ built into the levering system, or a flip lever some where by the trans controls. If you do no have a dump feature( some donít) then you canít. But if you do, thereís no damage/harm moving the coach around with the bags deflated
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
The problem you will have is no air to the brakes, without air you cant release them. if you can they are in serious need of adjustment. The bags generally air up before the brakes release. If you can't clear with fully inflated air bags I wouldn't plan on going in there.
This is incorrect, air break system tank will air up to 75psl before system will allow air to go to air bag tank. If you have a dump valve, it should be near the driver side dashboard. You can remove all the air from just the bags and it will not dump the holding tanks. You air brakes will still work and you should still see 125psi on you gage
But it would be best to modify your garage if you can. The components on the roof will be more costly to repair
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with Nathaniel - the brakes air up first, a safety precaution. You will have brakes as long as the system has air pressure (about 60 psi). Most, but not all, air suspension coaches have a "dump" feature that releases air from the suspension. In a few, it can be temporarily set to that lower level, but in most the air compressor immediately begins trying to replace the lost air. You have to hold the air dump button down to keep releasing air as you drive, and most can only drop the height a couple inches.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've been told, but never tried it, that on our Windsor I can use the "Dump" button to dump the air and continue to hold down the button to prevent the bags from airing back up, while pulling forward or backing up ? ! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Cats View Post
I have never owned a mh with air bags. So, question; can you let out/dump some of the air to lower the coach an inch or two, and still move the coach. (as in: Back into garage) my door and the height of the mh are essentially the same! Wanting to know if i have to remodel the door! The mh in question will be a tiffin pheaton if that makes a difference.
6cats.
As has been stated, you're gonna have problems if you try what you're thinking of. A very large percentage of air suspended coaches, utilize what's called "ride height sensors, to keep the coach at a specified height while it's running and or driving. No matter what the load is on the coach, light or heavy, the ride height sensors will compensate for any adjustments needed. I'm by far, no expert but, in some cases, at least with ours, the only way to dump the air from the bags is to set the parking brake due to its interface with that system.

If I were to shut down the engine, set the brake, then dump the air, it will dump. But, if I were to start the engine back up, naturally I can't move until the parking brake is released, that will auto-trigger the ride height sensors to start filling the bags. Now, will yours do that, not a clue. You don't say what model/make/year/chassis/engine.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #11

Guess you know by now not all systems work the same. I can dump the air on my Freightliner/Fleetwood, and move the coach to put in a shed like you asked. If I get up to about 5mph, it will automatically air up.
Don’t know what the Phaeton controls do.
We need more info on the chassis and age.
You say you don’t have an air bag coach, how do you know it won’t fit? Don’t go on the height the brochure has.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FIREUP gave you some great info.

Since you haven't purchased it yet, test it with the dealer BUT read the OP Manual on this as many say they can. I drove my DP right after I bought it before the AP came up to 130. Made a 90* left turn and hear front tires rub on wheel well. Thank you Lord I was full enough to do no damage. Then I learned that the drive train lines up in proper angles ONLY when my DP is at ride height.

Again, check it out with the dealer then try it right there using their people to spot you for backing up with low AP and measure tire well to rims on front and rear tires BEFORE and After to insure it didn't rise to far or too fast.

Best wishes with your selection - Richard
Old 03-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Guess you know by now not all systems work the same. I can dump the air on my Freightliner/Fleetwood, and move the coach to put in a shed like you asked. If I get up to about 5mph, it will automatically air up.
Donít know what the Phaeton controls do.
We need more info on the chassis and age.
You say you donít have an air bag coach, how do you know it wonít fit? Donít go on the height the brochure has.
Agree. I can air down and drive RV. Turn wheels and have brakes. People freak when you air down with wheels turned. I did have to hold dump button on leveling keypad
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairway2002 View Post
Agree. I can air down and drive RV. Turn wheels and have brakes. People freak when you air down with wheels turned. I did have to hold dump button on leveling keypad
And rightly so. So many think that ALL coaches are built the same. There are some (maybe the majority, maybe not) that, if you DO turn the wheels with a dumped system, you're gonna turn them right into the interior of the body panels. And you say you have to "hold down the dump button" on the control panel? I'm only assuming that you're thwarting the ride height sensors by doing that. I am no expert at this stuff, only what I read in manuals and how ours works. As state, I can't move our coach if the system is dumped. And they only way it dumps is when the parking brake is on. Release that parking brake and, up goes the air bag system 'cause the ride height sensors now have control.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, suspension