Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Air shocks

We have a new jayco Melbourne which bottoms out on slight incline. The Helwigs are not helping. We are thinking maybe we should have air shocks such as Bilstien. Would this help the problem and if so are they hard to install? Tried asking dealer where we bought motorhome, they are no help.
Hollysrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #2

Not familure with Helwigs ? But as a rule air shocks provide very little lift. Better off looking into air bags.
Can you tell what's hitting?
What I thought was the trailer hitch on my coach touching , turned out to be a metal bar on the lower edge of the mud flap, sounds awful but , now I know I'll live with it .
Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
The shock mounts aren't designed to carry a load and could bend or break under the weight of the coach. A better solution would be air bags that install on the axle.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
Not familure with Helwigs ? But as a rule air shocks provide very little lift. Better off looking into air bags.
Can you tell what's hitting?
What I thought was the trailer hitch on my coach touching , turned out to be a metal bar on the lower edge of the mud flap, sounds awful but , now I know I'll live with it .
What is hitting is the right rear of motorhome actual taking pieces off of fiberglass on rear, we have no bumper. Also on left side depending on which way we are going. Thanks for advise, we will be looking into airbags.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #5

Actually found out it is airbags my husband is looking at. Now big question, he thinks he can install but I see disaster on the horizon. I have been down this road before, are they hard to install if you have basic mechanical knowledge?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Most installs would be a bolt-on job, basic hand tools, drill.
Only problem I could see would be SAFE access, heavy duty jack and axle stands., wheels may have to come off. Installation instructions with the kit should tell you what you need to do.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
What Skip said... Should be an easy DIY project.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #8

No problem,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysrush View Post
Actually found out it is airbags my husband is looking at. Now big question, he thinks he can install but I see disaster on the horizon. I have been down this road before, are they hard to install if you have basic mechanical knowledge?
just call your life insurance company before he get's started....
SaltyoftheAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #9

Thanks Salty, feel so much better now, lol.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #10

The biggest problem with the Melbourne ( we sell them) is that they have an excessively long overhang, and are build with low ground clearance. If it were me, I would explore the option of having the springs re-arched or spacers of some sort added to give a bit more clearance. Airbags may work but will give a harsher ride..
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #11

You can go to a truck spring shop and they can re-arch and add a leaf for you. Raised my C 2 inches.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #12

Thank you guys so much, showed these posts to husband and he is going to check out. Yes our Melbourne does have quite an over hang, funny how you don't really notice this stuff when buying. I think you only see what you want to see. I am so glad I found this rv forum because I have learned a lot reading the different posts and we aren't newbies but sometimes you would think we were. This is our 3rd MH and with each one it was a different learning experience. I wish now we would have kept our Lazy Daze, no problems and paid for but oh no, I had to have slides......
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #13

Can you put rollers or hd casters on the frame in the rear?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysrush View Post
What is hitting is the right rear of motorhome actual taking pieces off of fiberglass on rear, we have no bumper. Also on left side depending on which way we are going. Thanks for advise, we will be looking into airbags.
I can certainly help you find an air bag kit that would work for you. I would just need to know what kind of chassis you have, the chassis year, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Let me know if you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to assist you.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote