Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Air suspension operational question

Scenario:
I park for the night and dump the air out of the suspension using the HWH control panel, but I don't extend the stabilizer jacks.

Question:
Which of the following will cause the suspension to air up in preparation for travel? (Air gauges for breaks still show about 100-120 psi when ready to go.)
(1.) Simply start the coach. The air pressure will build and the suspension will air up without further action.
(2.) Start the coach and press the "Store" button that retracts the jacks, even though they were not extended. The suspension will not inflate until the "Store" button is pressed.

I recently had the suspension fail to air up automatically after starting the engine but I had not extended the jacks on either of the two occasions this has occurred. I am trying to determine if additional action is required to initiate the airing up of the suspension or if there may be a problem that requires further investigation and possible repair.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
On my 08, the unit will air up without touching the store button. Why do you dump air when stopping for the night if you are not using the jacks? Do you know that turning on the cruise control and pressing set while you are in neutral will bring the engine to high idle and air things up faster? hope this helps, mark

Old 10-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
...Why do you dump air when stopping for the night if you are not using the jacks?
When the coach is being stored for a period of time I let the air out of the suspension but there is no need for the jacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
Do you know that turning on the cruise control and pressing set while you are in neutral will bring the engine to high idle and air things up faster?
Yes, I use the fast idle all the time. In the scenario I described of just starting the engine, even set to fast idle, it idled for over 5 minutes with the breaks at 120 psi and no air in the suspension at all. After I moved the coach forward a bit the suspension came up right away.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

Mine does not always air up even though the air pressure comes up. I push the store and the bags inflate.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Scenario:
I park for the night and dump the air out of the suspension using the HWH control panel, but I don't extend the stabilizer jacks.

Question:
Which of the following will cause the suspension to air up in preparation for travel? (Air gauges for breaks still show about 100-120 psi when ready to go.)
(1.) Simply start the coach. The air pressure will build and the suspension will air up without further action.
(2.) Start the coach and press the "Store" button that retracts the jacks, even though they were not extended. The suspension will not inflate until the "Store" button is pressed.

I recently had the suspension fail to air up automatically after starting the engine but I had not extended the jacks on either of the two occasions this has occurred. I am trying to determine if additional action is required to initiate the airing up of the suspension or if there may be a problem that requires further investigation and possible repair.
Ron,
Can I assume you have the HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling system? If so, you should have two means of dumping.
1. Push the Power button on the control panel once for powering up the system. Push again, to trigger the HWH controlled dump system.

But, that will also trigger the jack system to automatically level the coach.

2. Use the Manual Dump valve, supplied by Freightliner, to empty the bags. That will NOT trigger the jacks.

But, while I've gone through the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting manuals for HWH, I do not recall that, the suspension will AUTOMATICALLY fill, just because you started the engine. At this point, in my opinion, for that particular system, you will INDEED, have to push the STORE button for the suspension to fill.

What happens when Ciderdog and, a few others have put the coach in gear, let off the parking brake is, the system (HWH) detects that and assumes control over the leveling system and, retracts the jacks(if they're down) and, will fill the bags.

So, short answer, yes, I do believe you have to use the Store button if you want the suspension to air up.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #6

What FIRE UP said is exactly how my HWH system functions. I know that for a fact, and will never forget it; because it cost me a $150 "house call" from a local HDT service shop to learn the lesson.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have found that the system doesn't want you to drive away without the suspension aired up. As you said in your post, once you started to drive, it aired up. Just put the coach in Drive and then give it a few seconds to fill the bags.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Scenario:

Question:

I think the dump valve may be sticking and when you hit the dump button you cause it to "reset". Have you ever had your air pump serviced and your filter changed? I think this is a very common error by many DP owners.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #9

Air suspension operational question

If you are just parking overnight and not using the jacks, why would you dump the air? That doesn't make sense. There is no need to dump the air for an overnight stop.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I think the dump valve may be sticking and when you hit the dump button you cause it to "reset". Have you ever had your air pump serviced and your filter changed? I think this is a very common error by many DP owners.
I need to correct myself here. The air dryer is what needs to be serviced. It is not necessary to dump the air as stated above. Makes no difference. Dumping the air when the jacks are deployed is to get the entrance step closer to the ground and to get enough travel out of the jacks to level the coach.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #11

Not everyone has "jacks" on their coach, and it's a good thing, they can stick at very bad times, like a cold night on the Alaska Highway! On my Country Coach the air supply does not come from the engine , it comes from a separate compressor under the coach. Automatic leveling works well, no need to mess with anything.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #12

Ron H,
It's your coach, if you want or desire to release the air from the suspension, either over night or, while in short or long time storage, then release it. It's no big deal. Everyone's got their own tactics as far as those operations are concerned. The only thing you were basically concerned about is, whether or not you need to use the "Store" button on your HWH panel, to re-inflate the bags, if and when you started your coach up and, the suspension had been bled.

Well, again I explained the operation to you, if your system is the HWH 625 system. And, also, the parking brake provides an interlock ground system to that HWH system. That's why the HWH system will not function correctly IF, the parking brake is not set.

And, consequently, if the parking brake is released, you've just lost the ground to the electrical side of the jack system and, the protocol is to secure the system so, the bags will fill and, the jacks will retract, as a safety margin.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Scenario:

Question:

My HWH system operates as in option #1.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension