Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Air system popping off often

Sometimes when I start up the coach and after my air tanks build up with proper pressure to about 125 psi the air will continue release (pop off) about every 2 minutes or so. It will only do this sometimes. Yesterday it did not do it on a 2 hour ride. Other times it will and you can even hear in inside cab. My understanding is that once the tanks build to 125 psi the governor will shut down the compressor but it continues to run. You should hear one blast. Anyone know why it it would keep popping off air ? Someone mentioned it might be the load limitor or something like that ? The air dryer filter has been changed. It's a Haldex dryer on a Freightliner chassis - Cummins 350. Any help appreicated. Thanks...Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Wilhelm View Post
Sometimes when I start up the coach and after my air tanks build up with proper pressure to about 125 psi the air will continue release (pop off) about every 2 minutes or so. It will only do this sometimes. Yesterday it did not do it on a 2 hour ride. Other times it will and you can even hear in inside cab. My understanding is that once the tanks build to 125 psi the governor will shut down the compressor but it continues to run. You should hear one blast. Anyone know why it it would keep popping off air ? Someone mentioned it might be the load limitor or something like that ? The air dryer filter has been changed. It's a Haldex dryer on a Freightliner chassis - Cummins 350. Any help appreicated. Thanks...Ron
We think it could be the purge valve ?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

To me it almost sounds like the air governor is not functioning properly. It also sounds like the 'safety valve' is releasing either because of excessive air pressure or it is getting weak.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This problem was recently addressed here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/how-o...ight=Air+dryer

and here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/how-o...ight=Air+dryer

Hope this helps.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
First you need to check for leaks on both sides of the system. That is the emergency side and the ride side. If none detected as it sounds like you may not have given you said it was ok on your 2 hour ride. Then you need to look into the supply side. That is a more difficult side to detect as this side is only active when the engine is running. I had an issue with my air dryer on the supply side and I could not detect the issue as I could not hear it. My only clue was what I thought was a long drain down of air after the engine was shut down, about 30 seconds or so. This was the supply side leak through the purge valve on the lower end of the dryer. Once I rebuilt the upper and lower portions of the dryer this condition went away. Now I see the guage travel from 130# down to about 100# and back up again. JR
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
recently my coach has started to let off air about every ten minutes while driving. When shut down overnight, the rear tank holds air pressure at about 120. The front tank drops overnight to below 100. Is this normal to have tanks drop air pressure overnight at different rates?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

you have a small air leak on the primary side of your air system, there is a check valve in line between the two systems to prevent catastrophic failure it usually has a 25/30 psi difference from tank to tank .
build it up till it pops then spray all lines fittings ect with mixture of soap and water it will blow bubbles at any spot that leaks.
but if it will set over night and still hold 100/130 psi it is very minor and will pass a dot ck sorry work on class 8 trucks for a living.
if you can live with it run it till it is convenient fix you aren't in ant trouble until it gets worse
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks I will start investigating!
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #9

I timed mine. It's releasing air from the bottom of the HALDEX AIR DRYER. Air is coming from the cone shaped like a funnel. I believe this is the purge valve (DA33115 on mine) It either releases air or it does not. I just ran 600 km. For 300 km the system was normal. No air releasing. We camped and on return trip for 300 km it popped air averaging about 6-7 second (short bursts). Sometime it would go about 3-4 seconds. I'm trying to narrow this down. I'm not sure yet what is causing the air to release. Anyone got any ideas ? Thanks...Ron
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

I have had a few people look at this. We don't hear air leaking at least not very noticeable. The compressor is working fine it seems. When it reaches about 130 psi it stops compressing then a blast of air is heard from the air dryer. But then about 7 sec later it blasts air again from the dryer and you can hear the compressor going on then off. This cycle continues although there has been times when I can drive for hour or so so system works fine. We think it's the unloader valve in the compressor. Does this make sense ? What kind of a job is it to change it ? Any help appreciated here. Thanks…Ron
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #11

Check out this thread. The guy was tenacious in tracking down the leak.
You have a leak, sounds like its probably intermittent just for fun. If Forest river has an air schematic (or Freightliner?) then start w/that & identify all the components that could be leaking.