Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #1

Airtab testimonials?

Anyone tried airtabs and have good or bad things to say about them?

How hard are they to install?

I'm looking for relief from being pulled into trucks when they go by.

I did a search and there were just a couple who tried them when they came up on the forum earlier in the year but perhaps more have tried them since then or those who tried them has some longer experience to report.

Airtab - About Airtabs™

Thanks!
Michelle

micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Search on "airtabs" and quite a few threads have discussed this.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have spoken to many that have installed them over the years and most would not do it again. Very little gain other than keeping the back a little cleaner.
On the P30 - P32 chassis the pressure in the airbags is very critical to handling and ride quality and should be monitored on a regular basis. On our previous rig (P-32) I found that I could tame the beast simply by adjusting the airpressure. Its easy to do and doesnt cost a thing.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #4

I installed them two years ago. They are very easy to install. It seemed that my DP handled a little better with them but MPG is hard to make a statement about because the small increase would be hard to identify among all of the other variables. I am convinced that the principle is good and would buy them again. The thing is to put them on and reap the benefit rather than wait. The longer they are on the more miles you have to see the benefit. It was one of the few thing I could do to help the aerodynamics of my DP for which the manufacturer did very little. For a year I have slowed my cruising speed to 55 MPH and that has dramatically improved my MPG. Maybe the Air Tabs are helping too, it is hard to say.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the input!

Thanks everyone for the input. I will likely give them a try.

Michelle
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
They are actually pretty Ugly, Not sure why You would want to add Clutter to the Beast!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I will likely give them a try.

Michelle
i think you would probably get more bang for your buck ''$'' with a rear track bar. the ultra trac track bar made a big difference in the way it feels when a large vehicle passes me, coming or going.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #8

Thanks for the input

Dan,

Thanks for the input. I will have to check out the cost on those for purchase and install since almost everyone reports they work.

Michelle
Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A track bar (front or rear) will do more for your "truck" problem than Airtabs ever could, even if they worked perfectly. The principle of the Airtabs is to reduce the vacuum behind your rig and that does little or nothing to affect a passing truck.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
94 adventurer 34ra 454 chevy

Hello MIchille,
I recently purchased a 94 Winnebago adventurer 34ra with a 454 chevy. I am going to attempt to install the front air bags myself. I was advised to use a vacuum pump to suck it down as small as possible and work them in from the bottom. I will keep you posted on my progress. Hopefully I will attempt this week. They should arrive today via ups. Just curious about your front ac, does it only have one skinny belt that drives your ac compressor? Thanks, James
Quote:
Anyone tried airtabs and have good or bad things to say about them?

How hard are they to install?

I'm looking for relief from being pulled into trucks when they go by.

I did a search and there were just a couple who tried them when they came up on the forum earlier in the year but perhaps more have tried them since then or those who tried them has some longer experience to report.

Airtab - About Airtabs™

Thanks!
Michelle
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #11

Not sure

Hi James,

I opened the engine compartment but could not see anything like what you describe. My guess is I would have to pull the dog house to see the belts as I recall seeing them the one time I looked in there. However it is very difficult to do so I'm not likely to be looking in there any time soon.

Good luck and have fun with your new unit! Did you post pics somewhere?

Michelle
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
454 chevy Power steering pump pulley alignment

Quote:
Hi James,

I opened the engine compartment but could not see anything like what you describe. My guess is I would have to pull the dog house to see the belts as I recall seeing them the one time I looked in there. However it is very difficult to do so I'm not likely to be looking in there any time soon.

Good luck and have fun with your new unit! Did you post pics somewhere?

Michelle
Hello Michelle,
I am new at this rv-ing as well as the communicating on this forum site. I just now found your reply. Thanks for the effort. You will not be able to see anything looking from the front engine compartment. The easiest way to view the pulley and belt alignment is the under side. Pls turn the wheel to the left and shut engine off. Slip under between the left wheel and bumper. You will have a good view to eyeball the power steering pully alignment vs the other pulleys. ie the ac belt alignment. My power steering pulley appears to be tilted back a little. It is not on the same plane/parallel with the other pulleys. Does yours only have one skinny belt that drives the ac compressor? Thank you for your help in this matter. My curiosity is bugging me on this one.
No pictures posted----I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer on this computer stuff.
Thanks,
James
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #13

Took some pics

Hi James,

Luckily I have one of those boards with wheels so I can comfortably slide around under there. I took some pics. I don't think I saw what you expected me to since I couldn't see any belts on that side but you may see it since you know what your looking for. I did get to see all the shiny new parts I've had installed over the last two months so it was a good thing for me to do. On the other side I saw what looked to be the fan belt but that was about it as far as belts go. I just looked back at the pics and they don't really show much.... I will send you an e-mail so I can send you the pics.

Michelle