Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alarm System

Has anyone installed an alarm system in their motor home?

I am looking for a system that has its own cell service, not just wifi, and video capability.

Not wanting it for the security as much as being able to "look-in" on our pup when we are gone from the coach, which is never for that long but with technology today - why not.

I bought a Lowes Iris system on sale last year and it was just what I wanted -'of course this year they have "upgraded' their system but do not offer separate cell service like the old system......

Thanks in advance for any help...

Glenn

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
How about something like this

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW! That's neat (old guy's name for "cool") ! I wonder if it will work using cellular instead of Wi-Fi?
I assume if you you activated a line for it on an existing plan it would work on cellular. Definitely would want an unlimited plan if you had it broadcast for many hours per day every day
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I assume if you you activated a line for it on an existing plan it would work on cellular. Definitely would want an unlimited plan if you had it broadcast for many hours per day every day

Oops! Didn't think about that data usage!

Probably wouldn't want to tell the CG about that hookup!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freeze Alarm

https://campgroundtales.wordpress.co...ing-with-pets/

That is what we use... The headings on each component in the blog are clickable links to Amazon.com...

And when we have a wifi signal...we also have a Samsung Webcam...so we can spy on the dogs.

To connect to WIFI in a campground...we use an Alpha Products Wifi booster and Repeater...the advantage of using this is two fold. First, it creates a local hotspot for us, and that ID and authentication never changes...so our phones, iPads, Smart TVs, webcam, wireless printer...don't have to be fiddled with each time we change locations...plus it gives us a firewall. And secondly, it boosts the signal, increasing range...and allows for a wide variety of antennas. We use a 9db whip most of the time...but occasionally hook up the YAGI.

Just to consider...there are many fancier options out there.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
https://campgroundtales.wordpress.co...ing-with-pets/

That is what we use... The headings on each component in the blog are clickable links to Amazon.com...

And when we have a wifi signal...we also have a Samsung Webcam...so we can spy on the dogs.

To connect to WIFI in a campground...we use an Alpha Products Wifi booster and Repeater...the advantage of using this is two fold. First, it creates a local hotspot for us, and that ID and authentication never changes...so our phones, iPads, Smart TVs, webcam, wireless printer...don't have to be fiddled with each time we change locations...plus it gives us a firewall. And secondly, it boosts the signal, increasing range...and allows for a wide variety of antennas. We use a 9db whip most of the time...but occasionally hook up the YAGI.

Just to consider...there are many fancier options out there.

How does the WebCam work if you are going from CG to CG? How does your SmartPhone connect to it? How do you get through the CG's firewall?

Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #8

I would suggest considering Simplisafe alarm as it's entirely cellular. It does use a minimal out of power, however, you may be able to use a secondary, small inverter to power it.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2014 RAM 1500 Quad Cab Ecodiesel Toad
2013 Scion XB Toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forumk
Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
How does the WebCam work if you are going from CG to CG? How does your SmartPhone connect to it? How do you get through the CG's firewall?
Our Webcam is totally separate from the Freeze Alarm. The Freeze Alarm is our primary method of monitoring the TEMP/ AC Power Status.

Our Webcam is a Samsung SmartCam. It is an APP driven device. You download the SmartCam app to your Smart Phone...and it walks you thru the setup. We paired it to our Alfa Products access point...which acts like a hotspot for our coach. So the Webcam always connect to that WIFI address. The repeater(access point), on the other hand, is what we configure each time we move to another campsite. It's as easy as entering the IP address into our browser...ie 192.168.5.1 An authentication box comes up and we enter ADMIN and our Password...which brings up the status pages in the WIFI booster. We do a scan for WIFI stations in the campground...enter the password if needed...and connect. It only takes a couple of minutes to configure the ALFA WIFI booster to connect to the campground. The attached access point stays configured the same...so all of our devices...SmartCam, smart phones, ipads, laptop, smart tvs, wireless printer...use that address all the time and never have to be reconfigured.

I saw the Alfa products being sold at the Tampa Show this year.
I believe the vendor was www.technorv.com

After researching it a bit...I found an updated and more powerful booster for a better price thru www.rokland.com

I had a problem at first making it work. It had an IP address conflict with our home WIFI access point. They were both trying to use 192.168.1.1 I of course didn't know that. I called www.rokland.com and their tech service guy talked me thru reconfiguring our ALFA access point to use 192.168.5.1 and no more problems.

When we were stuck at Freightliner Orlando for a few days on our last trip (bad fuel injector)...we used the optional YAGI antenna to get the gain we needed to stream shows...all the way from the OASIS lounge a few hundred yards away in a metal building... And then we used the regular 9db whip antenna to connect to the newly installed WIFI hotspots thru out Ft. Wilderness campground. When you do a scan...you can see statistics about the signals available...signal strength, authentication protocol, transmission rates, etc...

It's added a lot of simplicity to our WIFI access. When the coach is parked next to our house...it's stays connected to our home access point. So even when I'm thousands of miles away traveling for work. I can open the Webcam app and see what's happening. I can even get alerts for motion detection, noise detection if I want.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rokland has a lot of products available. It might help if I point you in the direction we went...

The devices that I chose at the time were...

AWUS036NHR v.2 2000mw Long Range USB Wifi 802.11n receiver

and

R36 USB WIFI Wireless Router/Access Point for AWUS036NH or AWUS036NHR

while we were shopping...we picked up a few accessories, too...

a 9db gain whip antenna
a 16db gain yagi antenna with 16' cable
an antenna base for table mounting.
a suction cup wifi receiver mount...so we could stick it to the inside of a window.
a car lighter adapter for powering it in our car if we wanted to...

They have bundles that include a lot of these items along with the receiver if you see a bundle you like.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #12

This is a great product for a pet cam, alarm, and interior temp. I won't go into a lot details gust look it up (piper or piper nv), one has a better camera. We use them in our Rv and in our house and with cell or wifi.