Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #1

ALK Co-pilot or Sygic RV for tablet/phone?

I searched and saw lots of reviews on various stand alone GPS navigators but nothing comparing ALK's RV GPS navigator app to Sygic's RV app. Anyone have any opinions on either? Looks like the Sygic app is twice as much, too.

ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

I have both. I used the CoPilot RV app for about 3200 miles last summer. I also used Sygic for about 1500 miles. Sygic is worth the extra money in my opinion.

CoPilot has a lot of features and is pretty easy to use. It's the closest thing to a real satnav device. It's also plagued by poor maps and that's been true of them for years. My first trip with CoPilot was in 2010 (4000 miles, no RV) from Iowa to Florida. I used it in parallel with my Garmin to test it. I experienced 19 maps errors on that trip.

Last summer's trip with the RV version I experienced many map errors as well including incorrect speed limits that had changed in 2014 (Illinois) and 2011 (Kansas) as well as map error in Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.

I found their search along route feature to be broken and their POI database to be poor.

I wrote an extensive blog review of the app after both of those trips. If you're interested I can post the links.

Another thing to note is that the RV app is $50 and has not been updated since March 2016. The Play Store only shows 100-500 downloads so I'm guessing there's no effort being put into it. The iPhone app shows a May 2017 update.

Sygic is not perfect either but it's the best option in my opinion. Note that the RV version doesn't do propane restricted routing so if you want that you have to buy the truck version.

Sygic uses HERE Maps for their RV version which is the same maps that Garmin uses. The app has a lot of features but I don't find it particularly user friendly. It is updated all of the time and if you subscribe to their beta test option you get new versions every couple weeks. Sygic truck has between 500,000 and 1,000,000 worldwide downloads.

Don't download the free car version of Sygic thinking you'll test that before buying the RV or truck version. The car version is a different user interface than the RV and truck version.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
I have both. I used the CoPilot RV app for about 3200 miles last summer. I also used Sygic for about 1500 miles. Sygic is worth the extra money in my opinion.

Don't download the free car version of Sygic thinking you'll test that before buying the RV or truck version. The car version is a different user interface than the RV and truck version.
Sygic sounds like the winner. I noticed not too many downloads for Co-pilot and wondered a out that.

Yes, post the links and I'll take a look at your blog.

So what are you using for GPS NAV (if anything) if you have only used the two above for only a few thousand miles between them?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #4

Here is my blog about my trip this past summer: http://jkcarp.blogspot.com/2016/07/3...st-of.html?m=1

Here is my trip from several years ago: http://jkcarp.blogspot.com/2010/07/4...e-one.html?m=1

My current solution is two things: Google Maps and a dedicated truck satnav that I'm a beta tester for and that is not yet available in the US for purchase. In my opinion it's worth waiting for.

I replaced my in-dash with a Pioneer NEX4200 that has Android Auto built in so I can use Google Maps in-dash. Before that I used Google Maps on my smartphone in a mount. I put Google Maps in alert only mode so it only tells me about route and traffic problems, not routine turn by turn.

I then use this beta truck satnav device as my primary means of routing. It provides turn by turn as well as traffic. After using both for several thousand miles I've been very impressed with the accuracy of the routing and traffic compared to Google Maps. They agree almost always. I've learned to trust it. In the event that the two devices disagree I've defaulted to following the advice of the truck satnav since it also is doing truck routing and Google may be suggesting an alternative route that isn't acceptable for a RV.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Here is my blog about my trip this past summer: http://jkcarp.blogspot.com/2016/07/3...st-of.html?m=1

Here is my trip from several years ago: http://jkcarp.blogspot.com/2010/07/4...e-one.html?m=1
Cool writeups. I think I had read those before but just didn't realize they were yours.

When is this new truck GPS software coming out? I'm assuming it's not Sygic?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #6

I am not informed of the release date however I can disclose that the car version of the new product has been made available to the public in the US in the last few days. You can read about it here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/car/products/go-620/

If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can download TomTom GO for free. They now have a freemium model where you can use the full software for free up to a fixed amount of miles per day (30 miles maybe?). That will give you an idea to see if the new device is worth waiting for. TomTom has chosen to make their smartphone app look and function nearly exactly like their standalone GPS units.

TomTom lost a lot of ground in the US in recent years but I tell you what, these new devices are really good.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
I am not informed of the release date however I can disclose that the car version of the new product has been made available to the public in the US in the last few days. You can read about it here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/car/products/go-620/

If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can download TomTom GO for free. They now have a freemium model where you can use the full software for free up to a fixed amount of miles per day (30 miles maybe?). That will give you an idea to see if the new device is worth waiting for. TomTom has chosen to make their smartphone app look and function nearly exactly like their standalone GPS units.

TomTom lost a lot of ground in the US in recent years but I tell you what, these new devices are really good.
Took a look on Google Play and did a search on TomTom Go but didn't see that in particular. Saw some other TomTom apps though. I'll keep an eye out for this new app. Their new device looks cool but I want something I can use on a larger screen (i.e. tablet) while I drive. Something geared toward RVs/trucks would be desired as well.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #8

Here's a direct link to the TomTom Android app. It looks great on a tablet, but the app doesn't have truck routing. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gplay.navapp

I wanted the same thing you do in terms of running a navigation solution on my tablet. If that's the goal, I feel that Sygic is the only real option.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #9

I have not seen anyone mention Waze. I really like this app, but I wonder what others think of it. It really was not an option for me until I got a mobley with the unlimited data plan, as it requires a data connection to work.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #10

The tomtom app look really nice, but I could not find what it costs to get the unlimited version.. what does that cost?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #11

I really view Waze as a commuter solution in large cities. I don't view it as an ideal cross country navigation app. My reason for saying this is that the traffic content that is in Waze only comes from other Waze users. Outside of cities, there are just not enough people using the app for the data to be good enough in my experience.

I did use Waze on one long trip between Iowa and Ohio and what I found is that I spent much more time responding that old alerts were no longer relevant or adding new alerts that no one had added yet, than I did receiving valuable alerts that others had added.

I really don't see why longer distance drivers would use Waze instead of Google Maps given that 1) Google's traffic is derived from all Android users not just active users of 1 app like Waze is, 2) Google introduced micro-rerouting a year or so ago and 3) Google Maps receives Waze's accident reports.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #12

Thanks for that info jalan. I have only used it once, and found it useful. We took a trip to Galveston last week in the car and used our Garmin. There was a huge traffic jam due to I 45 being closed at an overpass in both directions. It took us 2 hours to go 2 miles. It would have been great to be warned of that and given a way around it.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #13

I agree with you about avoiding traffic. In my opinion, in today's world, navigating around freeway traffic problems is my number one goal when traveling.

I feel that the gold standards for traffic are Google, Inrix, HERE and TomTom. I won't use a navigation solution that doesn't have real time traffic content by one of those providers and it must be delivered over a data connection or HD Radio.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Here's a direct link to the TomTom Android app. It looks great on a tablet, but the app doesn't have truck routing. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gplay.navapp

I wanted the same thing you do in terms of running a navigation solution on my tablet. If that's the goal, I feel that Sygic is the only real option.
Cool. Thanks for the link. Let us know when this new RV app comes out!