Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All Electric?

I just watched the recent episode of History Channels "Top Gear". The were driving all electric cars and finished with a performance test of the Tesla Model S. 400 HP, 265 mile range, beat a Camaro in the 1/4 mile and Mercedes 550 on the road course. Do you think well ever see an all electric motorhome?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

And burned to the ground. Just kidding.http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/50...ety-reputation

I sure hope Tesla and Boeing get these lithium battery problems sorted out.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
With current battery technology I don't think an electric motorhome would be feasible. The weight of the batteries would require more power, which would require more batteries. If you only wanted to go 20-30 miles a day, maybe.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #4

Just weight the fuel tank and multiply by 10 is how much extra weight.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No but there is no reason why they are not building Hybrid type of MH's. They could use the Electric part to replenish the House batteries. With all of that weight going down hill using regenerative feedback to maintain speed and applying it to the battery pack would be a win win.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I remember when calculators needed batteries now they are powered by the light in a room. I remember how much fun it was to play the new video game "PONG" now I can drive a car through the mountains on my flat screen TV. Early motorhomes looked like metal sheds from Sears & Roebucks farm catalog. My Winnebago has 2 slides a generator, king size bed and looks like a Jetsons bus. There are potatoe chip delivery trucks on the road that are totally electric & there are multiple choices for all electric cars and hybrids. The first all electric motor home will be small and expensive with short range and long recharge time but one day I think there will be choices in all electric motor homes that will provide adventure for future RV'ers. To infinity & beyond.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we were in Lancaster, CA in July, the Rexhall factory rep told me their old factory in town was currently leased out to a group building an all electric RV prototype. Bill Rex was acting as a consultant, and they were gearing up to build regular Rexhalls in their new factory where I was. A lot of people believe Bill rex is one of the biggest innovators in the RV industry.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
When we were in Lancaster, CA in July, the Rexhall factory rep told me their old factory in town was currently leased out to a group building an all electric RV prototype. Bill Rex was acting as a consultant, and they were gearing up to build regular Rexhalls in their new factory where I was. A lot of people believe Bill rex is one of the biggest innovators in the RV industry.
I knew the answer was out there somewhere.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm all for alternative energy vehicles but I think we are many, many years away from electric mhs. I think most of us would not want a 265 mile range on our mh. And for the Tesla, that 265 mile ranges comes with 12 hour charge time at 240V (they do offer a 100A 240V charger but where would you be able to use that?). And that's for a 4600 lbs car - imagine a 20k or 30k or 40k motor home ...

Hybrid mhs with regenerative breaking might be more applicable but even that might not be particularly useful for most mh owners who typically do a lot of highway and little city driving (our local public transit system had tons of hybrid buses which are driving mostly in city traffic and now they were looking at paying tons of money to convert them to diesel only because it's costing them more than the diesel only buses) (City could pay to turn hybrid buses into diesel buses - Ottawa - CBC News (looking at the article, it looks like the cost savings is really just from not having to replace the batteries. In low-speed, stop-and-go city driving, the buses did well but when used on higher speed runs, there was no savings in fuel).
Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #10

What about natural gas? It burns cleaner and is a much cheaper alternative to diesel. Here's a good write-up about one vs the other:

Natural Gas Versus Diesel: the Truth About Fuel Prices

It would save RV'ers $100's if not $1000's a year in fuels costs that you could invest somewhere else. The only issue is building the infrastructure to support the use and demand. Just my couple of lincolns.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #11

When they are cost effective (payback curve break-even point), reliable, have enough places to plug in, and can go up the 16-mile 6% grade East of Bullhead okay, I will consider it. But would need to employ a driver, if I am still alive.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #12

I'm guessing that an RV of this caliber will likely be the first to go all electric...

*luxury rv - luxury recreational vehicles - eleMMent Palazzo - RVS*- Marchi Mobile
Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post
What about natural gas? It burns cleaner and is a much cheaper alternative to diesel. Here's a good write-up about one vs the other:

Natural Gas Versus Diesel: the Truth About Fuel Prices

It would save RV'ers $100's if not $1000's a year in fuels costs that you could invest somewhere else. The only issue is building the infrastructure to support the use and demand. Just my couple of lincolns.
In theory, natural gas could be a very good alternative but I would be very sceptical to make the change until there were filling stations everywhere (even just with diesels, I've had some problems finding stations that sold diesel or finding stations that sold diesels from tanks I could access with the toad hooked up (and even if you have NG at home, you cannot simply fill from your home line because it isn't sufficiently pressurized (and even if it was, it doesn't help you when you are on the road)).

The other thing to keep in mind when comparing NG with diesel prices (as far as I can tell, NG costs at least 1/4 to 1/2 of what diesel does), NG doesn't include any highway taxes (same as died diesel) so those would probably come into play (i.e. you really need to compare the price of NG with the price of offroad diesel).

Lastly, while everybody wants better fuel economy, for a motor home, it's really not that big of a deal. Many mh owners drive them 5-10k miles / year or less. If you drive drive 10k miles per year, at 8 mpg, that's 1250 gallons which at $4/gallon is $5000. Assuming a 25% increase in mileage (which I'm really not sure is realistic at all - might be that although NG does contain a lot of energy, it doesn't translate into much of a mpg increase), you'd need 1000 gallons of NG and assuming you can get it for half the price of diesel (after road taxes are added) so $2/gallon, you'd be looking at $2000. Certainly not insignificant but it's still only $3000/year and that's assuming you do 10k miles / year ... A NG engine might have a huge premium over diesel.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently read that Tesla is developing an all electric pickup truck. The story image looked to be same size as an F150 or Silverado. If that became available then could you recharge with solar on a travel trailer or park power and travel for free? An electric truck pulling a nice Airstream could an acceptable alternative to motorhome for some folks.