Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #29

When I have to hook up to a 30 amp outlet I use this Camco pigtails that allows me to also use the 15-20 amp oulet next to the 30 amp outlet so I at least have 45-50 amps available. The only thing I do is to check that the outlets are wired correctly with one of the little plug in testers that you buy from Home Depot. I have never had a problem with it yet. If I go to my sister's farm then I use two 15 amp outlets that are both on different breakers and combine them. Again I test first.

Camco 55025 Adapter 50 Amp Power Grip Power Maximizer#
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #30

Wow thank you all you guys have been huge pot of information and help
Tsronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter
When I have to hook up to a 30 amp outlet I use this Camco pigtails that allows me to also use the 15-20 amp oulet next to the 30 amp outlet so I at least have 45-50 amps available.
You've had a lot better luck than me Mike!

I have the Progressive Industries cheated box, which is essentially the same thing (I like your's better). In CG's, I have only been able to use it three times in the past four years. Seems like every nearby vacant site I've tried, is wired into the same line, which won't allow the thing to work. As you said, they have to be totally separate power feeds. I've basically given up trying to use the thing.

We were in a CG last summer that was 99% 30 amp. We chose an RV campsite next to a tiny vacant tent site. I pulled out my cheater box to try and tap into the unused tent site pedestal, and to my astonishment, it had 50 amp power! I thought, why in the world would they put 50 amp service in a tent site and only have 30 amp in an adjacent RV site? I put the cheater box away and just ran my 50 foot extension to the pedestal. No one ever set up camp in the tent site so we enjoyed 50 amp power our entire stay!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #32

Craig I normally use the 30 amp and the 15 amp in the same pedestal because they are both on different circuit breakers. I was going to buy a cheater box like yours but then Camco came out with their cheater cord that was cheaper. You have to be real careful using another pedestal because sometime CGs switch the hot leads L1 and L2 on every other box to even out the load throughout the CG. Found that at sevearl CGs so I always try and use the same pedestal and test both outlets first.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the tip Mike. I don't think I've ever tried the 15 amp outlet in the same pedestal before...I always thought they were on the same circuit. Shows what I know about electricity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter
You have to be real careful using another pedestal because sometime CGs switch the hot leads L1 and L2 on every other box to even out the load throughout the CG. Found that at sevearl CGs so I always try and use the same pedestal and test both outlets first.
I also have a Progressive Ind. 50 amp spike/surge protector. Would it prevent power from going to the RV in the above scenario?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have both both propane, gen set " 7.5 kw Onan" and full elec service. Having lived aboard a sailboat in the islands for 5 years makes living a Board our land yacht easy! With EMS you should have no problems monitoring 30 amp display lets you know exactly what each ac appliance draws. If there is a doubt back off an active appliance and watch the digital read as the newly activated system fires off. My DW hair dryer is a huge energy sucker along with micro wave while on 30 amps, have found that we can run while hooked up to 30 amps both coleman ac zones on low power with money to spare. LPG heat is superior! Frig and hot water draw so small amounts of lp energy and supply quicker hwater heat and conditioning to frig on initial start up. Then we switch to ac. Note 7.5 Onan runs all appliances and all our needs without ever lugging. Common sense and working with your systems will relieve all worries. Summary, use both any LPG service will likely deliver right to your coach we have never had a problem except in remote locations. Plan ahead!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote