Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

All electric coach?

So looking to to upgrade from a Forrest river forrester to a Holiday rambler endeavor. was wondering what your thoughts are on an all-electric coach opposed to a propane system? What are your thoughts? Your worries? Thank you all
Tsronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
DKO

Thumbs up Propane Free

We have had three fifth wheels with propane and now have a MH that has no propane.
Everything is electric with the exception of he Aqua Hot system that heats the domestic water and provides heat for the coach.

I do not miss the hassle of propane one ounce. The only drawback for us is that with a total electric coach we can not operate on anything less than a 50 amp plug. I have talked to others that do not have a problem on 30 amps but mine will not operate on 30.

That presents a problem now and then but propane free is my preference for now.

The Endeavor's are very nice. Enjoy looking!

DKO
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply,

To clarify when you are not connected to shore can u run the generator and have full power?

I see that you said anything less then 50amps won't give you power, is that any power at all? Or just limited to 1 a/c and the such?

Sorry if im asking a stupid question I just want to be sure this is the right step for us or if I should stick with a propane coach
Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
DKO

No bother at all. I am always asking so don't worry.

Yes, the generator carries the load just fine.

My coach is designed for 50 amps and that means 50 amps to each side of the panel for a total of 100 amps. That means 30 amps is mighty small for this application. With 30 amps you actually have 15 amps to each side of the panel. That will not carry the load in my coach. I have an inverter on each side charging a bank of batteries plus whatever else may be operating. The 15 amps would be overloaded if the fridge kicked on while and air was running.

If the coach has just one inverter it may carry the load better on 30 amps. Like I said others have no problem running on 30 amps at all if they are careful what they turn on. The Endeavor would probably be fine. Perhaps someone else may be able to address that directly.

DKP
Old 12-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

You'll have to decide where you want to camp before making a decision on whether an all electric coach will be practical. We like to spend time in state and national parks as well as an occasional boondocking experience. Not to many state parks have 50 amp around here. 30 and 20 amp hookups are far more common. It's nice to have heat on cool weather and winter outings even if there is no or limited hookups. Most state parks prohibit the use of generators or have severely restricted hours. I'd hate to cancel an activity just to get the batteries charged during the hours the generator can be run.

Personally I would be hesitant to buy an all electric coach. We've had power outages even at the fanciest resorts. With the propane as a backup for heat (we normally use the heat pump), cooking and keeping the refrigerator running it's no big deal.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you opt for an 'all electric' coach, make sure it is really that. I saw one last week that said it was all electric, had a big Whirlpool Gold 120v refrig, eight 6v batteries and twin inverters. Upon looking closer I saw where it had a huge propane tank to operate the little three burner stove. Makes no sense to me.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #7

We are all electric and love it. We have been full time for 8 months with two adult sons who are handicapped. We probably spend 2/3 time boondocking in parking lots as we travel and 1/3 plugged in at state or national parks.

We have 8 house batteries and two 2000w inverters, a 12.5kw diesel Onan genny, and hydro-hot. Very simple to boondock in cool or cold weather. In heat, gotta run genny for any of the 3 ACs, which gets expensive all night, so we try to pay to plug in. Gotta have 50 amp to run more than 1 AC at a time. We've done 30 amp and it's very challenging to keep from blowing the breaker.

Don't like running heat pump for heat because of the noise! The hydro-hot for heat is a sweetheart. We're running it right now on just the electric portion of the heating because we're plugged in. It's keeping us inside at 73 while outside is 49; will need to turn on diesel burner for overnight. The electric portion is enough for hot water unless it's a shower or clothes washer. Need genny or 50 amp for clothes washer or dryer.

If boondocking, usually run genny for 75 minutes just before bed, then again for same when we wake up. If a lot of hydro-hot and heater activity in the night, may need to fire genny by 6am because the circulator pumps use fair bit of electricity. If sitting there all day will need to run genny again, but not if doing any driving.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #8

Thank you all for your responses,

Anyone with something to add I just don't wanna overlook any aspect and someone might think of something that never crossed my mind
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I would want a propane stove and furnace for the times I would like to be off grid.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I really don't understand why some consider propane such a hassle. Is it finding propane while traveling? I use a yellowpages app on my ipad to locate nearby propane refill stations. When parked for extended periods of time an extend-a-stay allows you to bring a tank back to your RV -- much easier and cleaner than bringing back a can of liquid fuel to run the genset.

If you do go all electric you might want to consider a solar system to help charge the batteries.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #11

I'm not afraid of propane i just wonder if it is worth the hassle and expense of filling , the other thing is, like a previous poster stated, the endeavor uses a tank to power a 2 burner stove. Do I really need a 40 gallon tank just for cooking? Or do I gain the extra storage spot and put in an electric range?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

If you have a high end motor home with lots of batteries and large diesel generator and a couple inverters and don't plan to dry camp often an all electric coach would be fine. However, if you dry camp often you would be using diesel for generator and heating which can get expensive. Also if you camp where you pay the electric an all electric coach could use considerable amount of power. We have fulltimed for 15 years, 10 of those years with a coach with a 67 gallon propane tank, holds about 55 gallons propane, which we fill twice a year. In most areas we travel it's cheaper to use propane than pay for power or diesel.
rvndonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #13

We have an all electric coach. We like it. Our previous motor home had propane. We have six large batteries. Two inverters. 12,500 diesel generator. We have camped many times with 30amps. If it is not hot it is not an issue. Or at least not a big one.

It is very handy to have an auto on generator. We do and it charges up the batteries when needed when we are dry camping.

The only reason to have problems with 30 amps is if both chargers kick in when you plug in. I just turn off one of the chargers. You do have to be careful though when running things like the microwave.

I like not have to futz around with propane.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Personally I would want a propane stove and furnace for the times I would like to be off grid.

Ken
The coach I saw and mentioned in an earlier post, had an Aqua Hot, so the propane was for the three burner stove only.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote