Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #15

Where is the water pump? Mine is 2" from the bay door, which is not well-insulated like side-walls. It can be 30* at the pump head and 35* at the rear of the compartment.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I would leave the sink fauct on and head south until the water starts running again!
I love it

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i installed indoor-outdoor wired temp gauges in my basement compartments.
i wish i had used wireless gauges from walmart.
i use 100w bulbs in trouble lights to keep my bays above freezing. when i run out of 100w bulbs i will have to use 75w or 60w and use more trouble lights. **** govt. busybodies. i saw halogen 100w bulbs for $6 each the other day at freddy meyers. the clerk does not know if they will have them next year.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i installed indoor-outdoor wired temp gauges in my basement compartments.
the clerk does not know if they will have them next year.

Buy'em up now.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Better stock up on regular bulbs while you can the new bulbs don't put of enough heat to keep the wet bay warm. I use a 100 watt one in my drop light and the metal cover just get warm to the touch. An old 60 watt regular bulb would get hot enough to burn you.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
Better stock up on regular bulbs while you can the new bulbs don't put of enough heat to keep the wet bay warm. I use a 100 watt one in my drop light and the metal cover just get warm to the touch. An old 60 watt regular bulb would get hot enough to burn you.
You are correct...I've been stashing them away for a good while.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #21

Wow! When moving out of our home three weeks ago into our RV one of the boxes I gave my brother was full of incandescent light bulbs of every conceivable size horded over the last 28 years.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #22

Thanks everybody. My problems turned out to be two fold and not necessarily related. No I didn't plug the open space where the hoses come into the RV. Have now. And after starting up the MH's diesel engine and running it for 45 minutes I suddenly had water. So I'm going to take all your suggestions and apply them since I'm not sure exactly where the freeze up was. But when it rains it pours. I had no more overcome this mystery when I found my toilet was backed up. No amount of plunging would fix the problem. And yes my black water gauge said I was full while the gray water was empty. I had left both open during the freeze with the sinks dripping. I then tried a sewer snake from the outside and inside but it would only go in from the outside about a foot; two foot from the inside. I then tried the back flush system the RV has - didn't work. A neighbor came over. He had a device that hooked to my system in place of the drain hose with a clear see through section that you could attach a water hose to. The clear section extended out to a black section with a standard slide valve pull. That’s where he attached my sewer hose that led to the park sewer drain hole. He detached the RV from the city water and had me make sure the water pump was off. He had already closed off both the black and grey tank valves for my RV. Then he had me hold down on the toilets flush peddle. He turned on the city water he now had his own hose attached to with the other end attached to the clear section of his device - with the black valves closed. The toilet started backing up into the toilet bowel and bubbling. Just about the time it was starting to overflow onto the bathroom floor and I started “@#$^!’ing” the toilet bowel emptied in less than a second. He had heard me @^#$’ing and had opened the drain valve on his end. He proceeded to do this 5 more times and each time large amounts of “@#$^!” came out of the black tank. It never backed up into the bowel after the first go round thank goodness. No telling how long all that “@#$^!” was in there. Lesson learned. You buy a used RV have the black tank flushed. So after 6 back pressure flushes the clear section of his sewer gadget showed nothing but clear water coming from the black tank. The neighborhood handy man only charged me a hundred dollars to demonstrate his little gadget. “Parts courtesy of Walmart and Home Depot.” A professional RV sewer company quoted me $275.00 to do basically the same thing. The handyman said he didn't mind showing me his gadget and how it worked. Said he had at least three people a week with the same issue. And an RV park has a revolving door so he's never short of customers. I was on a roll so I asked him if he knew why Dish TV said I couldn't use my in motion King Dome with their system. He responded, "Funny you should ask!? "Cha-Ching!"
Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
I've found even a 60 watt incandescent bulb keeps the temps up in the water bay. (Pensacola is in NORTHwest Florida after all)

But: I still stock up on the incandescent bulbs.
I'm just not too keen on the compact florescent bulbs (CFL's). Had one on the porch at the house, it turned brown, bubbly and burned at the top of the base before it quit. Looked it up on the internet and the following statement just does not instill confidence in using those bulbs.

Overheating
If part of a CFL's electronic components fails, popping and sizzling sounds can occur inside the bulb. The bulb could become discolored and might smoke. However, as long as the bulb is not broken, there is little fire danger. (period)

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Save the water for coffee and drink the scotch on the rocks.
hear, hear
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I've found even a 60 watt incandescent bulb keeps the temps up in the water bay. (Pensacola is in NORTHwest Florida after all)

But: I still stock up on the incandescent bulbs.
I'm just not too keen on the compact florescent bulbs (CFL's). Had one on the porch at the house, it turned brown, bubbly and burned at the top of the base before it quit. Looked it up on the internet and the following statement just does not instill confidence in using those bulbs.

Overheating
If part of a CFL's electronic components fails, popping and sizzling sounds can occur inside the bulb. The bulb could become discolored and might smoke. However, as long as the bulb is not broken, there is little fire danger. (period)

I have adopted the CFL technology where possible in my stick and brick house but after about two year's use,one gave me a fright. A terrible chemical/burnt smell set me looking for a source. It seemed to come and go and seemed to be related to the gas furnace cycling.Bottom line,it was a table lamp with a CFL bulb that seemed to work well.Furnace air flow dissipated the odour and sent me looking in all the wrong places. I was sure glad pitch the bulb and it's stink.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #26

Just have the bottom of the wet bay tub sprayed with urethane. Then go on line and order a "Back Seat Heater". Install it in the wet bay and wire to the house batteries and set it to 40*. It's amazing that the most vulnerable area of the water system has the poorest protection. I have been in below zero with this method and did not freeze up.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
I have adopted the CFL technology where possible in my stick and brick house but after about two year's use,one gave me a fright. A terrible chemical/burnt smell set me looking for a source. It seemed to come and go and seemed to be related to the gas furnace cycling.Bottom line,it was a table lamp with a CFL bulb that seemed to work well.Furnace air flow dissipated the odour and sent me looking in all the wrong places. I was sure glad pitch the bulb and it's stink.
You do know CFL's contain mercury, right?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBurd13 View Post
Thanks everybody. My problems turned out to be two fold and not necessarily related. No I didn't plug the open space where the hoses come into the RV. Have now. And after starting up the MH's diesel engine and running it for 45 minutes I suddenly had water. So I'm going to take all your suggestions and apply them since I'm not sure exactly where the freeze up was. But when it rains it pours. I had no more overcome this mystery when I found my toilet was backed up. No amount of plunging would fix the problem. And yes my black water gauge said I was full while the gray water was empty. I had left both open during the freeze with the sinks dripping. I then tried a sewer snake from the outside and inside but it would only go in from the outside about a foot; two foot from the inside. I then tried the back flush system the RV has - didn't work. A neighbor came over. He had a device that hooked to my system in place of the drain hose with a clear see through section that you could attach a water hose to. The clear section extended out to a black section with a standard slide valve pull. That’s where he attached my sewer hose that led to the park sewer drain hole. He detached the RV from the city water and had me make sure the water pump was off. He had already closed off both the black and grey tank valves for my RV. Then he had me hold down on the toilets flush peddle. He turned on the city water he now had his own hose attached to with the other end attached to the clear section of his device - with the black valves closed. The toilet started backing up into the toilet bowel and bubbling. Just about the time it was starting to overflow onto the bathroom floor and I started “@#$^!’ing” the toilet bowel emptied in less than a second. He had heard me @^#$’ing and had opened the drain valve on his end. He proceeded to do this 5 more times and each time large amounts of “@#$^!” came out of the black tank. It never backed up into the bowel after the first go round thank goodness. No telling how long all that “@#$^!” was in there. Lesson learned. You buy a used RV have the black tank flushed. So after 6 back pressure flushes the clear section of his sewer gadget showed nothing but clear water coming from the black tank. The neighborhood handy man only charged me a hundred dollars to demonstrate his little gadget. “Parts courtesy of Walmart and Home Depot.” A professional RV sewer company quoted me $275.00 to do basically the same thing. The handyman said he didn't mind showing me his gadget and how it worked. Said he had at least three people a week with the same issue. And an RV park has a revolving door so he's never short of customers. I was on a roll so I asked him if he knew why Dish TV said I couldn't use my in motion King Dome with their system. He responded, "Funny you should ask!? "Cha-Ching!"
Although ruff reading for a few sentences it was a Great read. I hope all is going fine now. I have NOT had this experience yet thank you know who.Have you been enjoying your MH since? Are you somewhere warm?
I have seen those clear sections at a few RV Stores that have a hose hook up on them is that kind what it was he used? What did he get you for the Dish Comboggle?
enjoyed your post.
Thanks Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote