Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #1

Allure flooring

I read thru the old posts on this flooring and was wondering how this is lasting from the peple who installed it? The reason being is I went to Home depot to find out some info and require about the temp issue that was brought up in old threads. The lady said she didn't know but she called the main office and the lady there said that Allure has in there technical info that this is not to be installed in travel trailers because of the heat. It seams like such a great idea but I don't want to have to be fixing all the time. Any users comment are much appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I copied this from their installation manual...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...7a22eeeb65.pdf

Heat and cold resistant: allure
planks can be frozen without damage.
Our adhesive can get down to 15 degrees
Fahrenheit (or -10 degrees Celsius).You can
put allure in the freezer, I don’t know why
you would, but be our guest. allure can
take the heat and definitely can stay in the
kitchen — but if you let your home get over
95º F for an extended period of time, you
will damage the floor and melt the
adhesive — if you let your house stay over
95º F degrees for an extended period of
time, all your furniture might melt! That’s just
too darn hot.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Our has been in our motorhome for a year now and we're really happy with it. Then again, we full time so the coach has never gotten much over 80 degrees inside. We did have the challenges outlined in the threads you've read... must dig out all of the old carpet/staples, etc.... for best results use a hair dryer and seam roller when installing... pay a lot of attention to how the slides retract, I haven't found any slide adjustments which help but you may well find that your slides will drag on the flooring when retracted and will leave scars if not kept clean or protected.

Having said all of that, we have three dogs and love the stuff.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #4

I have the original hardwood in the kit and bath and are not at this time planning on trying to chisel up the glue. You maynot of had any floor to even with but if so what type of underlayment to raise that 1/4"? I was going to belt sand my floor to make sure I didn'y miss any of thise thousand pad stapels ( if i efver get to a plant tour I'm going to staple the pad guys lunch bucket to his table) and then was thinking of resealing the floor with Thopmsons water seal, any ideas? thanks for the posts.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I did have an elevation difference between the cab, carpet and kitchen/bath areas. I wanted a flat look with continuous floor running front to back so I used 1/4" plywood underlayment and a lot of leveling compound. Frankly, I think that's what's caused a few issues with the slides clearing the new floor when retracted. The new floor (with underlayment) is the same height as the carpet but has no give so I've had to work on spots that snag AND tack down the Allure so I no longer have a floating floor.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't mean to hijack this thread but wondering if anyone considered Pergo (or similar) laminate? I've seen the Allure and it looks nice but I've had such good luck with Pergo in the stick house, I'm tempted to use that to replace the carpet in the Journey. Based on thickness of the Pergo with the pre-attached padding, it would seem it would mate nicely with the existing ceramic tile in the kitchen but be slightly lower than the existing carpet/padding.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #7

I was thinking that route also but one of the floor people I talked to said the laminte flooring wouldn't last in long exposed high heat either. Something about the veneer &/or vinyl top coating the glue would seperate. His options were to go with some type of vinyl even tho he didn't sell the allure or glue down hardwood and even those there maybe issues. Seams like no one has the exact solution for something setting in the hot weather without some type of ac?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI as to how hot it gets in our mh here in Texas. I went out to start the genset to cool it down for some packing tonight. I have an indoor outdoor thermometer- 99 degrees outside, 119 degrees inside. Maybe it will be 90 inside by 9PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not have any of the laminate flooring in my MH, but this past week I was at an RV dealer. The wife & I went about looking at the new & used MH's. I made an observation as we walked into one used MH. The MH had the laminate floating floor installed. Not sure how long it had been there but the MH was 2003-2005 (not sure) the kitchen floating floor had a lot of movement when you walked on it. If this is how this flooring reacts after a few years of install. I wouldn't want it in my MH. On a personal note for this type of flooring, I like it in the stick house, I have installed it in other peoples houses & have been very happy withn the results. My personal opinion is that after several thousand miles & bumps down the road. I wonder how well it will last.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #10

Have a 97 Kountryaire 5er with partial hardwood flooring in kitchen and entrance door. Aproximately 5 years ago my hot water heater leaked and stained/warped the flooring in a couple of places. Removed the flooring and replaced it with pergo from Home depot. Have had some extreme heat in the unit over the years but floor is holding up fine. It is a floater and the main slide rolls onto it without any problem. Used the best quality underlayment that Home depot sold for pergo. Can not tell the difference from orginal both in use/color.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote