Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

Allure flooring questions - need advice

We have a 2003 Airstream MH (Thor product) that desperately needs new flooring. We have dogs and camp in dirty places and we just can't get the carpet clean! It currently has carpet everywhere except there is laminate in the kitchen area. We plan to pull it all up except bedroom and driver's area. I've been looking at forums here and elsewhere and it looks like Allure (with the Grip Strip) might be the right product. We will probably have to do it ourselves because having it done is cost prohibitive! I have several questions:

1) The bathroom has carpet (ugh!), and the toilet and vanity are raised up a few inches. How easy is the Allure to cut for the toilet drain hole (we would take out the toilet)? What is used for the stair nosing (Allure doesn't have a product for this). What is used for the stair riser? The guy at Home Depot didn't think that Allure would be good placed vertically, and he didn't think that double stick tape would work either.

2) What type of knife or cutter is best for cutting the product? The vendor says just cut and snap it. In particular, I'm wondering about places where you need to cut both directions, like if there is a corner that juts out. In fact, there is actually an angle rather than a corner that I'll need to go around between the kitchen area and where the bath is located.

Any help greatly appreciated. My husband will help with the heavy lifting, but I'm the handy one so it will be me installing the new product.
linda7915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:45 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We looked at the various options for flooring - materials and installation. Had a friend who installed sheet vinyl via a professional installer. We contacted the installer and had him do the job for us too.

About $325-350 for material (vinyl, trim pieces, glue, etc.) and $300 for labor.

I removed and reinstalled a recliner chair, a cabinet, and a few pieces of trim. Installer removed the carpeting, a zillion staples, etc. and floated in a leveling and filler compound everywhere before laying down the new vinyl. Existing vinyl in kitchen was left in place and covered over with the new vinyl as removing it would have damaged the wood subfloor beneath. Carpeting in slide areas was retained.

This came out cheaper and way easier than full DIY. End result was great. Looks like was original to coach if you did not know. Best update we have done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not recommend allure anymore. I installed allure with a professional helper abour 6 years ago, i posted with pics. The top surface is wearing through leaving white spots in several places.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't use the Allure with the grip strip - it's pretty cheesy stuff. You don't need many sq ft to do an RV, so I recommend buying the [more expensive] Allure Ultra instead. It's much thicker and stronger, locks together instead of glue, and looks richer too. I have Allure Ultra Wide planks in a bathroom at our stick & brick house and it is gorgeous.

Allure is easy to cut with a utility (razor) knife. Score it deep and snap off. Just have plenty of blades and change often. If you need to cut a round hole or zig-zag shape, you can use a jig saw with a moderately fine blade.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did 2 rooms in the studs and stucco in 2009 with the Allure standard (stick edge) and because of that, intend to use it in the RV when the carpet needs replacement. This included a step around a spa tub and a cut-out around a toilet base. Back then there were only 5 styles/colors and the Country Pine looks great to us. They have many-many new colors...no need to take anyones opinion about this, because you can see how good they look in the display.

We have read how others have had fading and curling problems, but in our application even all day sun exposure (that never moves like in a RV) and daily cleaning and traffic that includes 3 BIG dogs, the flooring is in near new condition.

We have looked at the Allure Ultra (snap fit) and would still use the original Allure because NOTHING will penetrate the stick edge joints...it is water proof. This does have 1 downside...no moisture can be allowed to get under the flooring from an edge. If it did, the subfloor will never dry out = mold farm. For the edge around the toilet, we used silcone caulking to ensure no moisture ever snuck under the flooring.

To install, I found that besides using a sharp utility knife, tin snips will allow amazingly easy and accurate cuts.

It is a floating floor, so about 1/4 inch gap should be left at the edges. This will demand properly installed edge molding to show a nice edge where visible. Home Depot has a line of covered MDF molding that works well with many of the Allure colors.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd read the Allure manufacturer's guidelines. It's not recommended for use in MH's because of the temperature extremes it can be subjected to. Some folks have used it with no issues, some have used it and had issues. Mr. RV Flooring himself, Ernie Ekberg, recommends NOT using Allure.
For the above reasons, I decided to go with a different LVT. Ernie uses Maddington Adura.
As always, YMMV.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We used an old fashioned paper cutter for straight line cuts on our Allure in the house and tin snips for detail cuts.

I put Allure in our Truck Camper 5 yrs ago and it gets hard use from dogs and myself at horse shows yr round and to date has no signs of wear. Even w 6 big active dogs in a high traffic area you can't tell which room in the house was done 5 yrs ago and which one was done a few months ago.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #8

My Allure install is 5 year old. It is one of the best upgrades we did. If you follow the instruction provided install should go very well. With no problems in the long run.
I used a construction square and utility knife to cut pieces off. Replace blades when dull. For cutouts around corners and other items I used a good pair of Wiss tin snips.
Here is a link to pictures I took of the project.

Tags
advice