Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #15

I have heard of E40Ds puking out transmission fluid when backing on a hill, then resealing.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try not to make matters worse by worrying about it until you know what is wrong with it, plenty enough time for that once you know the facts.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post

I agree! We have enjoyed the stay. However we were suppose to go too Asheville to the Biltmore. Maybe next time.
Enjoy pigeon forge. IMO, Biltmore, while interesting, was a waste of time and money. I got bored with it after 297,415 rooms to walk thru. Lol
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure that your son knows this but for those on the forums this is information concerning the automatic transmissions.

Heat is the #1 killer of transmissions. When the fluid gets to hot it destroys seals. When the seals can't seal hydraulic pressure they leak and the clutch packs don't hold pressure. Loosing pressure inside those clutches causes slippage and will ruin them in a hurry.

There are really only two things that can be done before a re-build is needed. 1. Change filter and fluid. Some transmissions don't even have filters anymore. 2. Change the rear and/or front seal where the shafts enter and exit the transmission. If they leak that can be fixed.

With these newer transmissions and all the computer shifting I'm sure the solenoids can have electrical issues but I'm not familiar with them and will leave that to the young pups to service.

If the fluid smells burnt then the transmission is either dead or about to die. Changing the fluid won't fix worn clutch plates and worn clutchs are what caused the fluid to burn.

One more point for future reference. If you or the previous owner didn't service the transmission as required many transmission shops won't touch it. They won't touch it because changing fluid on one that has not had it changed in 60,70, or 80,000 miles will often fail soon after the fluid was changed. What happened?? Accumulated dirt gets dislodged and causes valve body issues which may cause loss of pressure and burned clutches. This does not happen every time but many a shop has been burned.

JFYI
TeJay
Old 11-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #19

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Made it home. D&S in Pigeon Forge fixed the RV. They also lowered their hourly rate to $60 which was good too. I have to dig out some past work receipts. He said my rear brakes was not working so all my braking was on the front brakes and we cooked those. All fluids changed. I just had the rear brakes worked on that is why I have to dig out receipts. My local shop screwed me! So me and receipts are going to making a trip to their office.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I may have missed something what was the leak?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like D&S did great for you. You might consider giving them a plug on RV Service Reviews RV Service Reviews
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #22

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I may have missed something what was the leak?
John
Well from the guessing all in the real world. As far as the loss of transmission fluid they are assuming it got overheated and the seal unsealed itself. I believe the mechanic said it blew and when it cooled it sucked itself into place. The shop changed transmission fluid and filter. My son will replace the seal this coming spring before we take off. The mechanic put 14 quarts of transmission fluid in. We drove the RV home and she didnt overheat. Gears changed well. Just glad to get her home without a tow.
I can say I hope to never smell that again.
We went looking at new RVs. Wow they are expensive. Told my spouse when he retires we are getting a nicely used but newer RV!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #23

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Sounds like D&S did great for you. You might consider giving them a plug on RV Service Reviews RV Service Reviews
Thanks I sure will! Very good people!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #24

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Well I took my receipts and marched to the place that did the work on the RV in March 2013. At first they did not want to acknowledge any monies needed to be given to me. I stood my ground. I had paperwork receipts and work records to back me up. He wasnt going to give me a dime. I said really and you think that is proper and moral? I have all this paperwork showing you my vehicle was in good proper working condition. I bring my vehicle pay for service and if you look I would bet you will find I asked you too look at the front brakes and your business said everything was in working order. He said yes but that was 5000 miles ago. I said no I thought you would go there. I have driven the RV 2500 miles and 700 is just this trip to PF. I paid them $278 for 2 wheel cylinders in March. Anywho I got $402.98 out of them. I really wanted more but atleast they gave me that much. If I feel the need I could go too small claims. I stand by D&S they did me right and I knew it when I was talking to them.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #25

I'm sure you're right in the fact they didn't check anything, but the fact that it HAD been driven means ANYTHING could have happened. Trust me, I've seen very random things happen all of a sudden. A relay stop working within 30 minutes of just sitting on the lot, blow out after leaving.
Like I said, I bet they did screw you over some, but there is no real claim to be had. Just a complaint to be made.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #26

Now to determine the cause of over-heating the transmission, doesn't happen without a reason.
Was/is the transmission cooler functioning properly? Most have a valve that stops the flow of fluid when the transmission is cold, causing it to reach normal operating temperature faster. Then it opens, allowing fluid flow through the cooler to prevent overheating the oil.
Are the cooler fins clear of debris and open to air movement?
Those are just two items to check.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the real seal let go and puked out some oil onto a hot exhaust. Also sounds like you caught it in time without doing any real damage. If it were mine however, I would think about a trans rebuild.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #28

this is very common on ford transmissions get a larger trans cooler and you will be good to go

Tags
rexhall