Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #1

I broke the am/fm antenna form my entertainment center which is on the roof. The line is too short to be repaired so I have to find another solution. Someone told me about an am/fm antenna which is a wire grid on a cardboard backing which they mounted to the compartment door. It sounds like it would be my solution but I can't find one. Any help would be appreciated...

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #2

I broke the am/fm antenna form my entertainment center which is on the roof. The line is too short to be repaired so I have to find another solution. Someone told me about an am/fm antenna which is a wire grid on a cardboard backing which they mounted to the compartment door. It sounds like it would be my solution but I can't find one. Any help would be appreciated...

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 AM   #3

I put a signal splitter in the line from the roof TV antenna to the TV and ran a line with a Motorola Plug on it down to the in-dash radio as well as another to the home theater/stereo. Works great for AM/FM reception even when the crank up batwing antenna is in the down position. Left me a mounting location dead center in the fiberglass front cap on the MH to put a no ground plane CB antenna. Make sure that you use the line going to the TV and NOT the line coming from the antenna to the amplifier power supply!

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 AM   #4

hi matt B,...I am just finishing up my theater/stero/dvd/am/fm combo...sounds like you have a good set-up..just have a some questions.first about the splitter is this standard,and the motorola plup is this the screw in type??...also i am trying to get to the back of the tv--for the audio,,,any suggestion,or is their any other way besides the audio out from the back of the tv....hope i do not have to pull the tv out...hope to hear from you.....thanks....rick susa...8-7-2007
Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 AM   #5

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We just got back from vacation. I used a standard CATV splitter and cut it into the line from the antenna amp to the TV. One side of the output goes to the TV the other side to another splitter. From the second splitter it goes to the Home Theater Receiver on one side and the indash radio from the other side. To get to the indash unit I just clipped off the wire at the end closest to the antenna and soldered on a "F" connector. The wire was already routed to the indash radio so it save a lot of pulling and tugging. Most F conncetors are crimp on but the REALLY cheap coax that goes to the radio antenna doesn't work well. I solved the problem by crimping a connector to a 6" stub of RG-6 and the splicing it to the antenna cable.
Before everyone goes nuts about "losses" with all the splitters and splices remember that the signal from the rooftop crank up TV antenna is already amplified.
I got good results from the setup. You must crank up the antenna for TV but it works just fine for AM/FM when cranked down for travel. An added benefit is that when you are out in the boonies and the radio signal is week you can crank up the antenna and "aim" it at the desired station. Really helps pull in that all important race or ball game.
Hope this info helps and as with all things YMMV.

1997 Damon Challenger
Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I like this idea alot. Could you clarify the following for me-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Make sure that you use the line going to the TV and NOT the line coming from the antenna to the amplifier power supply!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
paz

I'd like clarification, too. Our AM/FM antenna is fairly useless and I'd like to try the TV antenna. The line from the antenna is round TV cable and the 12V amplifier is a 2-wire lead. Not sure what is meant by "Make sure that you use the line going to the TV and NOT the line coming from the antenna to the amplifier power supply!"
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #8

The coax from the bat wing antenna to the amplifier also carries the 12volts to power the amp which if I remember correctly is actually in the antenna head. If you just work with the coax that goes to the TV and don't go anywhere near the amplifier switch dodad you'll be fine. In other words if you just split the line that comes from the "F" connector on the switchplate and goes to the TV you are golden. Hope this helps.

1997 Damon Challenger
Old 08-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #9
paz

Thanks for the clarification. I think I got it. In our case, instead of a switchplate, we have a Wineguard black selector box. The coax into the box from the antenna will also carry 12V, so I don't want that. The coax that goes from the box to the TV would be the one I want, but this coax can have satellite, cable, or antenna signals depending on which button is pushed. As long as I have the "antenna" button pushed when I want to listen to the radio, I should be OK.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote