Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Am I asking for trouble?

My 1998 Winnebago Chieftain is in excellent shape at 70K miles.. Engine and coach systems all work great. Oil and filter changed regularly, chassis lube, brakes at 50%, belts and hoses look almost fresh. Transmission flushed at 60K. Michelin tires are 2012 or newer. New gas filter. I have had this MH for 20K miles and have made 2 trips from Indiana to the California. I'm not aware if the coolant or brake fluid have been replaced.

We plan to upgrade to a 2011 or newer MH within the next 2 years.

I need to head out to Ca. again but worry that I'm pushing my luck. After all, even though the MH has only 70K miles on it, it is 16 years old.
This may be asking a lot, but what maintenance would you absolutely have done to this coach at this point.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #2

You have it all pretty well covered. The brake fluid and coolant will be fine. Just enjoy the ride.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

Even tho your hoses look to be ok, I would probably go ahead and change all of them if it has not been done in the last five years or so. Easier to do now, than blow one in the middle of no where. You have a lot of hot country to travel.

Enjoy your trip.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replace hoses? Every 5 years?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #5

I carry Gorilla tape (good for a temporay repair of a water hose) and I carry a spare serpentine belt. However what you have been doing is a pretty good maintenance program. I would sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #6

Our Trek is a 1999 GM chassis with 82,000 miles, so is likely similar to your Winnie. Before our California trip last year, I flushed the brake fluid, but didn't pay attention to the slight whine of the in-tank fuel pump. Fortunately, when the pump failed on Highway 101, we found a nice shop to change it. However, this is better done at your location, and on your schedule, and maybe less expensive.

Like you, I just changed all of the radiator and heater hoses. And, have heard that the serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing has been known to fail, so I plan to carry a spare. I also carry a spare alternator, and fuel filter (the one hidden halfway between the fuel tank & engine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
My 1998 Winnebago Chieftain is in excellent shape at 70K miles.. Engine and coach systems all work great. Oil and filter changed regularly, chassis lube, brakes at 50%, belts and hoses look almost fresh. Transmission flushed at 60K. Michelin tires are 2012 or newer. New gas filter. I have had this MH for 20K miles and have made 2 trips from Indiana to the California. I'm not aware if the coolant or brake fluid have been replaced.

We plan to upgrade to a 2011 or newer MH within the next 2 years.

I need to head out to Ca. again but worry that I'm pushing my luck. After all, even though the MH has only 70K miles on it, it is 16 years old.
This may be asking a lot, but what maintenance would you absolutely have done to this coach at this point.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #7

Let see... The title of your post is "Am I asking for trouble?"
Did you buy a motor home?
Sort of self evident isn't it?
However, no more than the rest of us and maybe less since you know the condition of your MH.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, ya have a point there Selah...
Old 04-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #9

Since the coolant and brake fluid seem to be concerns, why not just have your coolant flushed/drained and refilled and at least have your brake lines inspected, The brake lines might very well need replacement in a 16 year old MH ?
That would give you a little peace of mind knowing those items have been addressed.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fresh brake fluid should be flushed/replaced every 3 years or so. Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means it absorbs moisture. Moisture corrodes the components and makes lousy brake fluid and will leave you with spongy, fading brakes when you need them most. The rubber brake lines do break down internally and can block the return of fluid resulting in a locked caliper and smoking, overheated brakes.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #11

Rkh

If the brake fluid is over 5 years old, looks like maple syrup... or molasses....change it, (it's an easy job).
I have heard you should flush and replace the fluid in a hydrulic brake system every two years.
I changed mine, for the first time, when my coach was 16 years old. (it was the color of root beer).

Do as I say, not as I do!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting comments about brake fluid. My F53 manual never calls for a brake fluid change. Only level and line inspection. It does however call out a coolant flush and replacement at 48K miles. So I'll do that. I may also just suck the brake fluid reservoir dry and refill it and call it good.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #13

If I was traveling though the desert, I think I'd consider the coolant flush. But never thought of the break fluid. OBTW...antifreeze has gotten extremely expensive!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brake fluid is indeed wise to be flushed every 3 years. At least that is what PBS' Motorweek states. Don't know if the interval would be different for a low miles per year motorhome. Color is also not necessarily an indication of the quality of the fluid anymore because it could be clear and still be contaminated with water. I just purchased a rig and am having the system flushed (2005 model with 29k miles and I'm certain that it is the original fluid). At least in my area, it's <$100 to have done. With antilock brakes these days, it's not worth the hassle to me to do it on my own. I did it on my last used rig as well and noticed a change in pedal feel (for the better) afterwards. http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ould-you-care/

Great tips folks.

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote