Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
What psi did you generally use when blowing out the lines?
I always used a cheap regulator. The little ten dollar unit. They are factory set between 50 and 60 psi.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I always used a cheap regulator. The little ten dollar unit. They are factory set between 50 and 60 psi.

Thanks for the info. In times past, I used 45-50 psi and it seemed to work well.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Please describe your exact procedure, in detail. It may help me discover why I still had clear water in the lines, that RV anti-freeze pushed out the faucets.
First day. Open all low point drain valves. Open all hot water heater drains. Open water tank drain valves . Turn on all faucets.
Second day. Turn on waterpump for 1 minute. Look to make sure it is not picking up any more water.(tank is completely drained) Install water pressure regulator on water inlet hose inlet line. Install air quick connect adapter to regulator. Plug in air hose to adapter. Run air through system for three minutes. Close low point drain and all faucets. Run air through Hot Water Heater for two minutes. Close bypass valve for HWH. Go to outside Ref. access. Remove water line from ice maker. Remove top water line to ice maker and drain water from line. Blow out water from lower line. push in small lower water line on ice maker solenoid and remove several times to blow out all water from ice maker solenoid valve. Open hot water side of faucet in kitchen. Let it run for 1 minute. Open and close faucet several times. Close hot water faucet and do same to cold side.
keep opening and closing faucets until you quit getting a small blast of water. Move to bathroom and repeat at sink and shower. Flush commode and hold open for 1 minute. Run washing machine through fill cycle. Go back and open all drains and faucets run air for three more minutes.
Drain both holding tanks. Add pink stuff to all sink drains. This sounds like a lot of things to do.(it is) After a few times it is quick and simple. If you winterize and never use your camper all winter, you may want to go with the pink stuff. We use ours all year and prefer not to buy that much antifreeze.
One gallon of antifreeze will last us all winter.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used the air compressor method (30 PSI) as described for 10 years in southern Indiana and it gets below zero. Never had a freeze up in RV.
I only put the pink stuff in the sink traps, not in the water lines.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just a heads up to those who don't understand the difference between CFM (cubic feet per minute) and PSI (pounds per square inch). Any compressor will produce 50PSI. A compressor with low CFMs at 50 PSI will not do the job. I have never used the blow out method for the simple reason that my compressor does not have the CFMs to clear my lines.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
winterize

We dont drink water from the lines--only bottled water, so--I-- drain the water heater, bypass it--run the pink stuff through all the lines and pour some in the traps--then Im done-5minutes-simple--Vince
Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
While blowing the system down with air is a probably good enough, I use the pink stuff.
I mean it's like $4 a year. That's extremely cheap compared to a costly repair bill.
Personally, I wouldn't risk such a an expensive investment for a mere 4 bucks.

With that said, I have a sink supply line I bought at the local hardware that I put a piece of hose on. Connect it to the pump stick it down in the jug of pink stuff.
I bypass the water heater, so I can do the whole coach with less than a gallon.

The only thing I can think of that wasn't mentioned is to make sure you get the water out of the toilet fill valve.

Tags
winter