Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Am I done winterizing ?

Picked up my first RV.. 2010 Coachmen Mirada 29DS .. Checked out alright a dealer and brought the puppy home...

1st night 29 for the low, so I ran the heat at 60 and trickled the water from hot an cold tap....
2nd night 21 for the low followed the same procedure and all appears to be OK.. still have water running and no apparent leaks or surprises...

Today I blew out hot and cold water lines, and toilet several times until no water... then blew down the low point drains, left drains and faucets open.. and lastly poured a total of 1 gallon pink stuff in drains and toilet.

The only uncertainty is the on board potable water tank and pump.

I turned the pump on for 30 seconds or so with no flow..

Am I good to go ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi and congrats on the new ride. For the most part I would say you are done. You still need to drain and by pass your hot water heater. As for me I would run the pink stuff through your lines till it runs out all taps. I do this because I like the security of knowing that my lines are protected. Plus I live in a colder country than yours'. If you already haven't check out the cheap handling fix and the Brazel and five star threads for items to add to your ever growing to do list. Happy trails.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Also make sure your wter filter is empty, if you have one.

As far as blowing out the lines vs filling them with pink, I have done it both ways and think either option is OK.

Enjoy your new rig.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

I forgot to mention I have one of those on-demand hot water devices.. vendor manual says blow it out with air or fill it with pink stuff..
The guy I did my walk through with said it was painfull to cook the pink stuff in your hot water unit.... and since I already have an air compressor and the volume of water in the unit is minimal ...
Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do you have a clothes washer? Ice maker? I always run pink stuff through the washer to get it on both sides of that pump and into the trap. And I disconnect ice maker in line behind the fridge and drain the lines both directions from the solenoid and/or run pink stuff into the water line from the galley to the disconnected end.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

I add Sta-Bil to the fuel tank, filling the fuel tank and then run the generator to get Sta-Bil through its lines. I also top off the LP tank. The rig is now ready if we would lose power to the house during a winter storm. I also regularly exercise the generator which also keeps the batteries charged. When the weather is descent, I'll put about 30 miles on the rig to keep its various parts exercised.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #7

If you only blow out your lines the water pump will still contain some water. I would at least run the pump awhile but prefer running a little of the pink stuff through.

Have a nice day - darrel
Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #8

Since lows are forcast into the teens for the next 2 weeks here, I winterized our MH today, for the first time. We bought it last April. Anyway, I opened all low-point drains and fresh water tank drain. After water quit running out, I closed the fresh water drain valve, and proceeded to hook up the air compressor to the fresh water inlet. I opened all faucets and blew out all the water.
Then I pumped RV antifreeze through the water lines. Now no water was coming out of the faucets, I blew out the water first. The RV antifreeze pushed about 2 cups of clear water out of each faucet before I began seeing pink RV antifreeze.

That was an experiment; I hadn't used compressed air before, just read about folks using only air pressure. That was also the last time I'll ever use air pressure, It does not work to my expectations and level of confidence. If you have a clothes washer you must use RV antifreeze, there in no other way to clear the internal water valves and plumbing of water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
My bay that has the dump valves also has hot and cold water to a shower head. It is easy to forget that one.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have posted this many times but here we go again. Many people seem to imply that air is not safe for winterizing. I was in charge of 60 to 100 motorhomes a year on our lot. I also winterized several dozens for customers. I never had a motorhome or trailer freeze, that had been blown out with air. Georgia gets down in the teens some years and sometimes into the single digits. That is cold enough to freeze any water. Air is safe if done correctly. The last customer that did not winterize correctly, had a bill from us for $2300.00. Trust me, If I had frozen even one coach, my boss (the owner of the dealership) would have had my head. Some of these coaches were old 80's Allegro's. They were plumbed with copper lines and would freeze in a minute. I had 15 years with no frozen lines. I think that speaks for itself.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have posted this many times but here we go again. Many people seem to imply that air is not safe for winterizing. I was in charge of 60 to 100 motorhomes a year on our lot. I also winterized several dozens for customers. I never had a motorhome or trailer freeze, that had been blown out with air. Georgia gets down in the teens some years and sometimes into the single digits. That is cold enough to freeze any water. Air is safe if done correctly. The last customer that did not winterize correctly, had a bill from us for $2300.00. Trust me, If I had frozen even one coach, my boss (the owner of the dealership) would have had my head. Some of these coaches were old 80's Allegro's. They were plumbed with copper lines and would freeze in a minute. I had 15 years with no frozen lines. I think that speaks for itself.

What psi did you generally use when blowing out the lines?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
I never had a motorhome or trailer freeze, that had been blown out with air. Georgia gets down in the teens some years and sometimes into the single digits. That is cold enough to freeze any water. Air is safe if done correctly. The last customer that did not winterize correctly, had a bill from us for $2300.00.
That $2300.00 is why paranoid me blows and pinks.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Please describe your exact procedure, in detail. It may help me discover why I still had clear water in the lines, that RV anti-freeze pushed out the faucets.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #14

I set my output air regulator to 30psi, ( power down water heater, pump, etc. ), closed all valves and connected to my city water line.
I then opened the farthest away hot water tap.. until air comes out.
Repeat for each faucet or water outlet including toilet and out side lines.

I then start all over again this time I let the line charge up to 30 psi and quickly open and shut each valve to ' puff out ' any remaining water..

I then leave the taps open and drains open..
Run the pump to ensure it is dry, if I get water, then repeat the above..
Pink up the drains and I am done.. ( My first time with a motor home, thus my starting of this topic )

Tags
winter