Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #29

It sounds like folks do not use throw rugs. That was one of the first things we bought. Put a runner down in the high traffic area so the dog as traction and the can be rolled up an shaken out or vacuumed depending on us and where we are. We used them on carpet in the old coach and vinyl in the new one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We do use throw rugs. Relatively cheap to replace when looking worn.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #31

I wish I could get rid of the carpet.

Unfortunately, my coach has a level-floor slideout that rides on some sort of skid setup gliding on top of the carpet. If I go with wood I expect that there will be scratches or worse the first time I move the slide.

In fact, I'm knee deep in the tearout as we speak. I don't see a way to get away from the carpet...
Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinAustin View Post
I wish I could get rid of the carpet.

Unfortunately, my coach has a level-floor slideout that rides on some sort of skid setup gliding on top of the carpet. If I go with wood I expect that there will be scratches or worse the first time I move the slide.

In fact, I'm knee deep in the tearout as we speak. I don't see a way to get away from the carpet...

It's an easy solution. We have a level floor on the driver's side and it's absolutely no problem. We've had our LVT Manington Adura for 4 years as full timers and the tile is still perfect. We use 4 slide slickers when we pull that slide on so there is no direct contact with the floor.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031NFUHQ/...l_4zwl2nug5j_b

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
It's an easy solution. We have a level floor on the driver's side and it's absolutely no problem. We've had our LVT Manington Adura for 4 years as full timers and the tile is still perfect. We use 4 slide slickers when we pull that slide on so there is no direct contact with the floor.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve, I bought a piece of thin plexiglass at Lowes, maybe 18 x 24 or something like that, then cut it in half to use in the bedroom for the two rollers under the bed. Works great!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Steve, I bought a piece of thin plexiglass at Lowes, maybe 18 x 24 or something like that, then cut it in half to use in the bedroom for the two rollers under the bed. Works great!

Hey Joe,

Ernie E, who does lots of floors, recommends buying a few strips of the commercial engineered wood & using the same way. I always use these Slide Slickers as the commercial available solution. The folks who did my floor install gave me my Slickers.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 11-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #35
doc

Appalachian Campers
Three motorhomes, two with carpet. Current coach has tile. Tile is so much easier to keep clean and shows no wear. I realize it is heavier than carpet but don't think 5 pounds per square, unless the squares are BIG. It is laid under the kitchen cabinets and that would present a problem in replacing with vinyl or wood laminate. I did not order the tile it was standard on this model of coach.
No cracks, not scratches, no stains and vacuum and damp mop keeps it looking pretty good.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I've read a lot of threads praising tile in coaches. I don't get it. Yes, I can see getting rid of the cheap carpet mfr's have used for years as it's hard to keep clean. Is tile a decorating trend/phase the mfr's are going through?

1. It's heavy
2. It's prone to cracking
3. It can be uneven due to backing or mis-grouting
4. It's cold (unless there's under-tile heating)
5. The shiny, super-gloss finishes I see in coaches now show every spec of dust & have to be protected from damage from slides & those protectors are UGLY!

I've read the posts about Newmar having issues with overweight front axles. Is that because they're putting tile in the slides now?

With all that, what makes tile so great? I can see it used in a S&B since that isn't something that rolls, bounces & flexes down our sadly-in-need-of-repair interstate system. It doesn't make sense to me in an RV.

I've seen many upgrade posts with photos of beautiful wood or engineered wood floors. Why isn't that an option for RV mfr's?

What am I missing?

Lori-
Good question: More and more people want MH's like there homes. The second and third order effects are coming to light now. Tile is weight and is causing some MH's to be compromised with weight on front axle. Solution, go back to carpet or engineered flooring or start taking off options when you buy a coach from manufacture.
Regardless of what you do, have your coach weighed before you sign the bottom line of a purchase contract. No more can we assume you can safely carry a full tank of fuel, water, carry essentials to live, and your family when we leave a factory or dealership. Buyer beware and be careful!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

We have both tile & carpet (tile in galley and bath areas) and enjoy both. Had them in previous coach as well, and never any cracking or unevenness with either one. Tile need not be super-heavy either, and a gas chassis coach with a 22,000 lb GVWR can handle it easily. Lot's of them on the road to prove it.

The carpet is our current coach lasted10 years before we felt it needed replacement. The tile is still going strong. We thought about replacing the caret with laminate (we did that in our stick house), but in the end we stayed with carpet in the coach. Our slides have rollers and they nearly always mar wood and vinyl, plus the carpet is comfy on the feet.

Surely it's a matter of personal taste, and what buyers are voting for with their dollars. If many buyers like tile, dealers order more rigs with tile to show on their lot, and manufacturers build more floor plans that include tile. Nothing magic or sinister - just plain old capitalism at work.

I think you are behind the times, Lori. The rage now is wood, or at least wood-look, flooring. Laminate, Vinyl tile or vinyl lank, and engineered wood.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not sure where you got that I'm behind the times, Gary. I started this thread stating I prefer wood or engineered wood in RV's & want tile kicked to the curb. If anything, I'm all the rage wanting wood floors.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
That looks similar to Allure Ultra. Did you glue the tile down?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinAustin View Post
That looks similar to Allure Ultra. Did you glue the tile down?

We used 16"x16"tiles. They are glued down and grouted just like residential.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 11-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
I recently took a tour or the Tiffin Factory. While there I viewed a chassis with only the tile installed. No walls or anything else yet attached. The one thing that I noticed was the tile was a sandwich of three parts. Much like a laminate of manufactured wood. One of the options was a heat grid installed under the tile. I never got around to asking about the tile, but expect it was manufactured especially for the industry for less weight and flexibility.
My 03 coach came with 6 or 8 extra tiles. They are normal tiles, no "sandwich" of any kind on them.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
My 03 coach came with 6 or 8 extra tiles. They are normal tiles, no "sandwich" of any kind on them.
My 2014 coach came with 2 extra tiles and it is a standard residential tile.