Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
An earth-shattering kaboom?

Approximately twice a day, there's a loud, metallic BOOM from the rear of our coach. It sounds like someone kicked an aluminum air duct. It seems to do it once in the morning and once in the evening, so I assume that something is expanding and contracting as the day's heat goes up or down. It's hard to tell if the noise is coming from above or below.

At first I figured it was just the gas tank settling, but the noise seems to be getting louder every day, which suggests that something isn't right. This morning it was loud enough to wake us up. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

The Incorrigible: 1995 National Dolphin 533
The Crimson Haybaler: 1993 Ford Ranger
The Incorrigible Dirigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had something similar happen at least two different times and locations when the leveler jacks are extended close to their limit.

I was able to stop it by putting blocks under the jacks so they were not extended as much.

Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
If it happens every day I would try leaving the gas cap loose and see it it still does it. If the tank is not venting (if it is even supposed to ) there could be a pressure build up . Also is your water tank full? maybe thats not relieving pressure. Just a thought. If you find out what it is please post.
2007 Allegro 34wa .WH w20 8.1 6speed. Bow tie powered 79 CJ7 or a 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad.
jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
I to have had leveling jack noise as Clay L states.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had that problem in a 96 Southwind on a Ford chassis - it was the fuel tank expanding & contracting on its sling mounts. Never could do much about it when the nights were cool.

Had a similar problem in the current coach, an American Tradition. It was the jacks and happened when either end was jacked much higher than the other. Dropping the high end a bit stopped the frightening noises. Had a dealer tinker with the jacks, replacing some seals and what not with only small improvement. American Coach said the jacks might be marginal in size for my weight and offered to replace them with a larger jack (for free, even though my warranty was long expired). That solved the problem 100%.

Since your problem seems to be newly arrived on an older coach, I would consider having the jack hydraulics rebuilt.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote