Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I keep mine at Oasis in South Lyon. (10 mi) There are several others around. I think the closest covered storage is in Howell, Mi.

If you are looking for the local FMCA rv group pm me.
Thanks for the info and invite. If we make this move, I'll look you up!

Meanwhile... It is so perplexing to me that AA does not seem to have indoor storage for RV's. I hate the thought of outdoor storage for my DP, and I can't imagine that everyone "up north" takes the wear and tear hit of outdoor storage on their expensive RV's. I may have to build my own storage, which sounds really nice... until the bill comes!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Thanks for the info and invite. If we make this move, I'll look you up!

Meanwhile... It is so perplexing to me that AA does not seem to have indoor storage for RV's. I hate the thought of outdoor storage for my DP, and I can't imagine that everyone "up north" takes the wear and tear hit of outdoor storage on their expensive RV's. I may have to build my own storage, which sounds really nice... until the bill comes!
I live about 150 mi west of AA, and that is what I did -built me a 24'x48' pole barn. The only mistake I made was to have the door height at 13'. Although it has worked well so far, but it may not work so well for my next coach. So, if you build your own, I would make it at least 50' long and and 14' high.
Good luck and welcome to MI - the COLD country!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I live about 150 mi west of AA, and that is what I did -built me a 24'x48' pole barn. The only mistake I made was to have the door height at 13'. Although it has worked well so far, but it may not work so well for my next coach. So, if you build your own, I would make it at least 50' long and and 14' high.
Good luck and welcome to MI - the COLD country!
Indeed! There is a very nice and long thread on iRV2 about RV garages, and building bigger is a common theme. My RV is close to 45' including the towbar and front mirror extension, even though it is technically classified as a 40' RV. Without the towbar it is 42'7", so I'm not sure where they get the 40' designation!

In any event, if I build, I'll try to build for 60' by 20', with a 14' opening on the garage door. Of course... that's before I get the price estimate!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #18
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I built a 40x60 almost twenty years ago. We keep the DP in it and the extra space is used for my boat and tractors and several antique vehicles that are stored there collecting rent for me. Pays for the electric and ins.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #19
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Indeed! There is a very nice and long thread on iRV2 about RV garages, and building bigger is a common theme. My RV is close to 45' including the towbar and front mirror extension, even though it is technically classified as a 40' RV. Without the towbar it is 42'7", so I'm not sure where they get the 40' designation!

In any event, if I build, I'll try to build for 60' by 20', with a 14' opening on the garage door. Of course... that's before I get the price estimate!
It looks like a sound plan. Even though mine is supposedly 48', but I have less than 47' clearance on the inside. With my Affinity and my previous 45' Essex, I have to take my tow bar off and then I have just enough room to walk in front and in the back.
Hope your plans materialize!
All the best.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did you make the move?

statgeek - not sure if you moved to the ann arbor. If you are still looking for storage, Country Storage in Lyon/Northville (east of Pontiac Trail on 8 Mile Rd) is going to be adding RV spaces to their outdoor facility this summer. I have been told that they will have electricity and will be covered.

We're hoping to snag one of those when they come on board.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Fencebuster! We haven't moved yet, but will be next week. We found that facility and are first on the list for the covered w/elec spaces. Until then we will be outside in one of their spots. This place appears to be the best option I could find, though it's a half-hour away from where we will be living.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #22

It used to be that in Saline you could have an RV parked behind the house. AA was a bit more restrictive. The big issue if you pick a newer subdivision there may be HOA restrictions.

We are also considering moving back to that area to be closer to grandchildren. We don't have to worry about schools but there does need to be a place for the RV, a workshop and ham radio antennas.

Tom
Old 06-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Statgeek -
Maybe we'll see you there. We've used that lot for four years after a horrible experience elsewhere. Very nice owner and definitely secure. Hope they have enough covered spots coming to satisfy the demand! We are about 20-25 minutes away from the storage facility. More RVers all of the time and not many places to park them!

Happy travels to you and good luck with the move.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #24

Make sure you try the Emerald City for Chinese, if you like that kind of food. I have not been there in a while. Their Sesame chicken was awesome good with the candied cherry's and pineapple....mmmmm
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the restaurant suggestion! We do like Chinese food so we will try that place first!