Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Ann Arbor, MI

We are considering moving to Ann Arbor, MI for professional opportunities. We have a 49' Class A and when touring the area did not see any suitable storage places.

Members of the community from that area--where are you keeping your RV??

Rob
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #2

Here is the web site that stores boats, trailers and motor homes. I store my boat there.
Kensington Boat & RV Storage Center Home
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by novi2some View Post
Here is the web site that stores boats, trailers and motor homes. I store my boat there.
Kensington Boat & RV Storage Center Home

Hmm. Looks nice, but kinda far from Ann Arbor on their map. Are there closer places for indoor storage?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know about indoor storage but you might want to contact one of the dealers in the area.. Chelsea, MI is just outside Ann Arbor (A^2 or A-Squared) and features a Lloyd Bridges Traveland.. Camping world is in Van Buren TWP (Bellview store) on the other side of A^2. and there is an RV-Dealer next door to them (Forget it's name)

EIther of them may know where there is storage in the area.

Plus there are dozens of "you store" type places scattered around the county and most of them have storage facilities that can take an RV. Rooms may be 10 by 40 or 15 by 40. Too many to even think about it.

Enjoy Ann Arbor. Lovely city, I have spent quite a bit of time there. If you believe in the theory of "You get what you pay for" U of M hospital is the most expensive health care, and I have to agree one of the best, in the world. (I have my very own patient ID card). (Though I got paid to be a patient there, long story, i worked for Lab Rats Inc,, (Test subject, not technician)).

The ARC (not far from UofM, is one of the nation's finest Folk Music venues.

There is a genuine DINER (Looks like a rail road car, sold by Sears in kit form) near the ARC.

The Yankee Air Force (WW II planes) is headquartered at Willow Run Airport just down the road.. One piece of gear they use at air shows (A Radio Shack Scanner they use to monitor Air to Air and Air to/from tower traffic) was donated by me.

City has, or had, a number of Lilac Lined Roads.. I love Lilics in season.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you so much wa8yzm! Ours is a 2013 40-foot rv, that's really 42'7" without my towbar installed, requiring a true 45' bay. It has never been stored outdoors, and I don't intend on starting, but when I look online for storage places around they all seem smaller than that. I guess if we get serious about moving there I will call Camping World and/or that Lloyd Bridges place.

I have visited A2 only once, but it does seem very nice.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I lived over 30 years in Detroit, I know there are places west of Detroit (Livonia) that can do indoor storage. But I've only seen a few of 'em.

But I think you can let your fingers do the walking through YP.COM and likely find a place that can handle you and reserve a room.

Or.. You can build a barn, either one.

I really like Ann Arbor.. Alas, do not have nearly enough reasons to visit.

OH, if all else fails.. Willow Run does rent haner space.. (So do most airports) You can share a hanger with some aircraft for not all that much I suspect. Just be careful.. Friend of mine stores there.. He called his insurance agent... "A telephone pole hit my helicopter" You can imagine the agent's response.

I'll cut to the chase. They were doing roof repairs on the hanger. To help support the additional weight of the workmen and their tools they shored it up with telephone poles.. Just wedge in not secured.

A "Ground swell" (Gust of wind) Slightly lifted the roof so the poles were no longer wedged and fell over.. Right on top of Pat's tied down 'Copter.

So as you can see. a telephone hit is 'copter. Really. Witnessed. No kidding.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh my gosh! I'll bet the insurance agent got a laugh out of that one... until the bills came in.

Good idea on hanger space I would NEVER have thought of that. I'm seeking 110v (20amp) service too, to keep my batteries charged up, refridge running (in summer/active time), and possibly to run a dehumidifier when necessary. I kinda doubt that'll be available in a hanger, but then again, I've never been inside one so who knows?!

Again.. thanks. Love your ideas!!
Old 01-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Try Country Storage at 58000 8 Mike RD in Northville, 248.437.3333. www.countrystorage.info
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #9

A lot depends on where you are going to live. Many people that work in AA live north of there in Brighton and South Lyon. Kennsington Boat and RV Storage would then be a good choice.
Also check with General RV in Wixom for info on storage places.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Right now we are considering Saline, which is south of AA. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in terms of storage down in that area for my rig, with exception of outdoors & unplugged. I can barely throw a rock and not hit a big-rig-capable indoor storage place in South Texas.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
KC

I can't think of any indoor storage unless there are some people that own barns or polebarns that have storage.

KC
Old 01-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

OH, if all else fails.. Willow Run does rent haner space.. (So do most airports) You can share a hanger with some aircraft for not all that much I suspect..

If an airport accepts federal money (most do) hangars MUST be used for aircraft only. A hangar large enough for this MH would be $1000+. A small hangar for GA single engine AC is $325 at WR
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
We are considering moving to Ann Arbor, MI for professional opportunities. We have a 49' Class A and when touring the area did not see any suitable storage places.

Members of the community from that area--where are you keeping your RV??

Rob
I keep mine at Oasis in South Lyon. (10 mi) There are several others around. I think the closest covered storage is in Howell, Mi.

If you are looking for the local FMCA rv group pm me.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #14

Correct. I know from a different use issue that this is a FAA ruling. Enforcement does vary somewhat, but the regulation as written is very rigid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
If an airport accepts federal money (most do) hangars MUST be used for aircraft only. A hangar large enough for this MH would be $1000+. A small hangar for GA single engine AC is $325 at WR
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote