Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2006, 06:53 AM   #1

Location: Living my imperfect todays rather than waiting for my perfect tomorrow...
While I realize that everyone's lifestyle and rig are different, would love to hear from ya'll with the following -

Year MH:
Gas/Diesel:
Annual Repair/Maint Avg:
Who performs most of the work:

I'm still in the decide mode between gas/diesel and my biggest worry is what repairs costs might run me on the DP vs gas. Thanks!
Froggi Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2006, 06:53 AM   #2

Location: Living my imperfect todays rather than waiting for my perfect tomorrow...
While I realize that everyone's lifestyle and rig are different, would love to hear from ya'll with the following -

Year MH:
Gas/Diesel:
Annual Repair/Maint Avg:
Who performs most of the work:

I'm still in the decide mode between gas/diesel and my biggest worry is what repairs costs might run me on the DP vs gas. Thanks!
Froggi Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2000 Georgie Boy
Diesel (Cummins 5.9)
Annual Maintenance Budget $1,000.

On my diesel, every other year is more expensive because I have several 24 month routines. Don't be fooled by my $1,000 budget because that's pretty close to 100% DIY meaning that it is parts only. The trouble you will have with collecting information from us on this topic is not as much the differences in the the MHs as it is the differences in how the maintenance and repairs are accomplished. For example, I paid $2.87 for a sail switch for one of my furnaces this year. That same repair at many dealer's would have been $300. My engine oil changes now run $45 versus $150-175 at my local Freightliner. Maintaining a gas MH at dealer could cost double what I'm spending. It's really hard to level the playing field.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The above post is correct---It will depend on a lot of variables--I do almost All routine maintenance. I buy my oil by the case and i usually buy the filters two or three at a time, if they are being shipped. I shop the internet for best price on the part I want and compare prices.

I am all Synthetic, now and will use 7500 miles or 6 months for oil changes. I have a gaser--only needs a filter and 6 quarts, VS. a pusher that needs 18 to 26 quarts of oil. You need to figure tires at about 5 to 6 years, regardless of the milage. How many miles a year will you drive? Dino oil is only good for 3 months or 3000 miles. You need to change the Trans. and rear end fluids --per schedule--cost is not that high, but yu don't do it every year. It is hard to put a solid figure on Maintenance cost.

It is less than the cost of a BOAT.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I agree with the above that it will vary "depending." That said, I have a 2003 40' diesel. I put aside $250/month for maintenance based on my average figures. So far, the $250/month has keep sufficient $$ in my maintenance fund when it is needed. I do some things myself, but do have the oil & transmission service done by a mobile RV service or truck service center (I don't want to deal with catching/disposing of over 5 gallon used oil).
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Diesels generally have higher routine maintenance costs than gas. Oil changes are much more expensive (lots of oil), though probably less frequent than with gas. Filters and such cost a lot more too. Since gas chassis engines are shared with mass production vehicles (light trucks), engine supplies and parts sucha s alternators and starters are quite a bit cheaper than a truck diesel.

If you can't or won't do a lot of maintenace and repair yourself, either one is going to be expensive.

Most "house" components are the same whether gas or diesel, so there is no cost difference.

And many of today's big gas chassis have expensive 19 & 22.5 inch tires just like the pushers, so tire costs are similar too. Older gas rigs that use 16 inch tires are much less expensive.

My maintenance budget is basically an oil change (Mobile 1) and filter twice/year, a tube of grease for my grease gun (chassis lube) and a couple cans of silicone spray. Add to that a jug of Protect-All to keep the outside nice and a gallon of Simple Green to clean the roof and awnings. Oh, an oil & filter for the generator too - about $30. I'm coming up on transmission service (filter and 4 gallons of expensive synthetic fluid) this winter (estimate $300) and a set of tires in another year (estimate $2000). The rig is in is fifth year, so repairs of failing components are becoming more common. I'm estimating $300/year for that, but I have an high-deductible extended warranty to cover the big items. No matter what breaks down, my max expsore is $200 per event. Gotta figure the cost of the warranty as part of the budget, though, so that was $820 over 4 years. If you get a lower deductible policy the up front costis higher but your exposure per event is less.

Hope this helps some.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm still in the decide mode between gas/diesel and my biggest worry is what repairs costs might run me on the DP vs gas. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your choice is gas or diesel based on cost, then diesel should be less over the long term if you are driving a lot of miles.

If you are concerned about your budget, 250.00 is a good amount to set aside as Paul suggested.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">then diesel should be less over the long term if you are driving a lot of miles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A "lot" in this case is in the 20,000+ miles/year range.

Few Rvers can ever use their rig enough to recover the up front cost differential of a diesel - that includes fulltimers. Buy a diesel cause it is quieter up front, more powerful, more miles per gallon, or whatever, but don't buy it to save money cause it ain't gonna happen.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Roamer has claified a point and is correct.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #10

LA Gulf Coast Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
but don't buy it to save money cause it ain't gonna happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You won't see any of the Diesel money unless you keep the coach a bunch of years. Then the much lower depreciation on the diesel will pay off.

Walt
Old 07-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was a good article on the economics of a diesel verses gas a couple years ago in either Trailer Life or Motorhome magazine. It was very thorough and informative, if I remember right you had to put a lot of miles or years on the diesel before it started to save over a gas rig, but that was based on the economics of operation only and did not take into account that diesels are generally bigger, more powerful,can haul more, are more comfortable, and according to your personal tastes generally look much nicer. The article was also written when diesel fuel was less expensive than gas. I wish I remembered which magazine and which issue but if you did a search at the library on their computer you could probably find it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote