Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Glad you mentioned that Rick. I am thinking I will go the same route. Forgot all about our extended warranty until the fridge conked out.
I forgot about my ext wty when my electric fireplace went out and replaced it myself. But, when my Winegard Sat dish went out my dealer got them to cover $1700 toward installing a new HD Slimline!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ditto all these problems with mine. I'm lucky enough to be tall and I can reach the arm while standing on the entry step to "help" the sad little motor.

My automatic door awning has been hanging up when retracting too but I think that's an adjustment issue. I'm currently at the Winnie factory and am going to let them have a go at it. As for my large patio awning, I'm going to let my dealer figure that out with my extended wty company. I'm guessing they'll play around replacing parts and the problems will continue.
I've done the same thing - twice - and my awning still doesn't work properly. Now when it hangs up while retracting, I help it over the place it sticks by pushing on the roller or pulling down on one of the arms. When it does roll back up, the arms don't go into the channels, so every once in awhile I have to take a rubber mallet and bang the heck out of the side of them to get back into place. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this product is a POC.

golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #17

We have the fabric material on our A&E manual awning, as it came on our '88 Winnie - the fabric is in great shape - but the issue with ours is that the fabric has no diagonal stability, and allows the material to roll up far enough to one side or another to prevent the side arms to line up with each other and lock properly. Sometimes it takes several tries to get it all lined up properly.

We have never had a similar issue with the vinyl cover on the A&E on our 5er - plus it allows us to be water free in the rain for outside use, such as running the barbecue in a drizzle along the Oregon coast.

If replacement for the MH fabric setup become necessary, guess we'll replace with the same vinyl as in the 5er awning - sounds like the fabric stuff is purely a "fair weather" material...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #18

On my Allegro Bus I found that if the Engine was running it had a little more "juice" to help wind the awning in. I took it to a small RV repair place to have them adjust it and they found the roller tube was slightly bent and that kept it from freely retracting.
I now have girards and they to have weak points also.
AC eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was having problems with mine extending. Had to help it move from the coach on the back end, then it would roll out and roll up. Motor finally gave out, had it replaced under ext wty, but still seemed to have a struggle going in and out. I found that the tech had only given 7 turns for tension on the rear portion and it is supposed to be 9 full turns. I re-adjusted the tension and this not only helped in the retract but also when I extended it. If you have never done this, I highly recommend you have your dealer adjust it. That tension even at 7 turns can hurt you if it gets loose and you haven't pinned it or your pin fell out. Amount of turns varies with size(length) of awning but there is a PDF you can download that tells you how to do it from Dometic site or I could send it to you if you want it.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
We have the fabric material on our A&E manual awning, as it came on our '88 Winnie - the fabric is in great shape - but the issue with ours is that the fabric has no diagonal stability, and allows the material to roll up far enough to one side or another to prevent the side arms to line up with each other and lock properly. Sometimes it takes several tries to get it all lined up properly.

We have never had a similar issue with the vinyl cover on the A&E on our 5er - plus it allows us to be water free in the rain for outside use, such as running the barbecue in a drizzle along the Oregon coast.

If replacement for the MH fabric setup become necessary, guess we'll replace with the same vinyl as in the 5er awning - sounds like the fabric stuff is purely a "fair weather" material...
I had the same problem with mine (manual awning) after I had the vinyl replaced with acrylic.
It turned out that I did not have the strap dead center when I rolled up. It was at least 18 inches off. Since I put a mark on the roller so the strap was centered when I rolled it up I have not had the problem.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I had the same problem with mine (manual awning) after I had the vinyl replaced with acrylic.
It turned out that I did not have the strap dead center when I rolled up. It was at least 18 inches off. Since I put a mark on the roller so the strap was centered when I rolled it up I have not had the problem.
Good point - I usually have the strap off to the side near the roller release side of the awning - and the awning support channels on that end to verify alignment during rollup - which is never an issue with the vinyl material on our 5er. That might be an issue with the less stable fabric material - so will give it a try - thanks!

As an aside, one primary concern with the fabric vs vinyl, is water repellency - I've noted the cautions above as to touching, cleaning and handling of the material, especially when wet - does the stuff normally actually shed water in average rainfall - and if not, why would folks buy it instead of the vinyl, which provides far better shade. stability, AND water repellency?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Just returned from the Winnie factory yesterday where I had them fix my automatic door awning. It had been hanging up when retracting for over a year and I'd have to reach up and push on it to get it to completly close and latch. Last week I decided it must just be an adjustment so I gave it a go myself and really screwed it up.

Turns out it was a build up of leaves which had been trapped inside the roller housing causing the two sides to roll in unevenly. Now it works great.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
As an aside, one primary concern with the fabric vs vinyl, is water repellency - I've noted the cautions above as to touching, cleaning and handling of the material, especially when wet - does the stuff normally actually shed water in average rainfall - and if not, why would folks buy it instead of the vinyl, which provides far better shade. stability, AND water repellency?
It is supposed to last longer than the vinyl. Sunbrella material which is widely used in the marine world is acrylic I believe.

It works fine in heavy rain and is easier to keep clean than my old vinyl one was. With one exception - if you get pine tree sap on it it takes a lot of work and a lot of isopropyl alcohol to get it out. It was easier with the vinyl because it didn't get into the weave like it does with acrylic.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
It is supposed to last longer than the vinyl. Sunbrella material which is widely used in the marine world is acrylic I believe.

It works fine in heavy rain and is easier to keep clean than my old vinyl one was. With one exception - if you get pine tree sap on it it takes a lot of work and a lot of isopropyl alcohol to get it out. It was easier with the vinyl because it didn't get into the weave like it does with acrylic.
Interesting - the vinyl A&E awning on our '88 KIT 5er still looks and functions like new - have applied Armor All several times in 22 years - no special cleaning, very satisfied with it's performance, and yes, we used it regularly thru the years.

The fabric material on the '88 Winnie also still looks very nice, and also looks to be a 22 year old OEM install - dunno about actual deployment and usage - the MH has less than 60K miles - the 5er somewhere above 150K miles and LOTS of usage.

As long as the fabric will reliably shed water, and can be made to roll up evenly and reliably, guess it will be a keeper - nice feature on the fabric one, is it also has the outer aluminum cover that protects the fabric when rolled up.

Apologies to the OP for the sidetrack regarding different awning materials - but hoped that comparisons on that subject might also have some bearing on the original thread line...