Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #15

gary, jim, in the end I guess it comes down to what works for you. As far as ease of use I would have to say that handling that light small hose could be the clincher for many of us IF the system is permanently attached and only if the system is permanently attached the correct way.
If you haven't seen those pictures on the sani con that fell off you should really take a look, granted this was a very unusual circumstance-it was very very badly installed, AND there was a secondary issue with one electric valve hanging open BUT can you imagine what the consequences could have been if they had not just drained the tanks.
Most importantly for those who have a pumper and have a nuisance leak at the flanges; look for pieces of tape that might have been left from the factory holding the o ring in place, for shipping I would imagine.

And for those who have to attach the pump system everytime, whats the point-unless you do have to pump up and away?

But while we are on the subject, the claim at the photo site is that the water by pass did not work, or did not work well; just how does one get rid of the gray when connected to site sewers-if there is an inside switch this would not be much of an isssue but if there is not an inside switch or some other way for the gray water to get around the pump doen't this mean that the owner would have to go outside to dump the gray tanks? Again, not a huge deal-unless the weather is bad then it would not be pleasant at all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few comments: If that waste pump is a "Sanicon" it connects to the motor home plumbing with a standard 3" "Stinky Slinky" bout a foot long.. You can disconnect it and use the standrd 3" hose like most RVers do, no problem.. BUT DO NOT GET RID OF IT.. instead run a gallon of bleach water through it folowed by 2 gallons of clear water and let it be, let it be, let it be.. Oh, perhaps you don't recall that song.

Now... You can dump with the 3" in most situtations

Where I'm at just now there is no sewer hook up,, but we normally fill the gray a bit faster than the black.. So I can hook up my portable macerator (the difference is this one traveles in a plastic case stored.... elsewhere) and pump gray to a Gray water dump 70 feet awy.

At the park where I spend 2/3 of my winter... There is one site where it's a good 25 feet to the sewer inlet and not much slope.. Again the pump takes care of it.

And the related park where I spend 1/3 of my summer has one site that often is vacent, and is within range of the router for Wi-Fi but some idiot broke the sewer fitting and instead of telling park management so they could fix it, he burried it and now nobody knows just where it is... So I pump to the site next door.

And the Flying J I visited south of Bowling Green, KY where the inlet to the sewer is HIGHTER than the outlet on my black tank.. NO PROBLEM.

But with the 3" and only the 3" all these sites would be a major issue.

YOU have the choice.. Just unhook, clean and store for when you find you need it.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
To each their own, freedom to chose, what could possibly make one consider turning down a coach because of a 300.00 system ?????????????

The Dump Station is one of RV'ings most disliked tasks, but as necessary as airing up the tires and ride bags. We all gotta do it and how we do it would seem to be a matter of personal choice ! Can be a tad frustrating waiting in line to do it, behind a Sanicon Slow Dumper, but who doesnt remember the longlines at the gas stations when our desert friends decided to tweek our melons back in 74-76...

Flushing the hoses really seems like a common-sense thing not some engineering masterpiece so complaining of the smell holds little favor. Buy a Rhino-Flex System at your local campground (WalMart), rinse the hoses and cap them. Clean out that sanicon line with fresh water and cap it as well... where is the magic?

Lets thread about fuel mileage and leave the stinky at the dump station !
Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rough road,
To answer your question, if the macerator has no grey water by pass the macerator must be running to pass black or grey water through it. No grey water by pass means the grey water tank valve remains closed, unless the macerator is turned on.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MegaRoadie,
This thread is a good example of why threads sometimes go the way they do. Too many posters trash, with poor examples, another RVers way of accomplishing a task. Then provide questionable statements as evidence why the "other" way is bad and their way is the best and greatest. It would be much better and make for a cleaner (no pun intended) thread if posters would provide information on the method they use. And leave it at that. Personal experience is all that counts. Personal experience over a long period of time is even better.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi, I have a sanicon permanently mounted in our MH with a clear elbow and short section of 3" flex tube. Knowing when I will be leaving, I let the grey water fill to 3/4 full. I first pump the black tank, when empty I Turn off the pump and open grey valve which flows into the black tank until water levels equalize. Shut off grey and once again open black and pump until empty. Doing this a couple of times will clean black tank with soapy grey water. takes some time, but I find it does do a good job, super clean. Now I'm ready to bleach and further sanitize, backflush. By the way my sanicon does have grey bypass tube that's clear. Hope this helps !
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi sparkydog,
I do almost the same as you. You are correct that the soapy grey water does a really nice job of helping keep the black tank clean. When the next CG I stop at will have full hookups (almost always) I let the soapy grey water stay in the black tank and swish around during the days drive. When connecting at the next CG I pump out the black tank. The soapy water does a really nice job keeping the black tank as clean as, for me, it needs to be.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #22

Mega, it is a deal breaker in this instance for several reasons, foremost the owner will not budge a penney so replacing the pump would be at our cost AND the method of attachment was EXACTLY the same as that used for the one that fell off the coach that those poor people have! I really didn't like the very slow way that the tank drained nor did the wife like the noise (though I don't see how this figures in, she always managed to be miles away when the dumping needed to get done) and the 'by pass' issue seems to be the -fatal- flaw so to speak: I cannot see how any short circuit around the pump could drain as fast as the tank can fill unless the hose used is of fairly large diameter. Will anyone argue that NOT having redundant inside switches for this system is kinda sorta nuts?

Once again, I can see the attraction in certain instances and as mentioned if it works for you thats all that matters.

What systems do the makers of the high end coaches use-gravity or pumped?

Forgot this, for those who looked at the pictures I do have a question; these people are of the opinion that the photo's showing some rust on the inside of the pump motor indicated a leak at the seal. I tend to believe that this rust is more evident of condensation rather than a seal failure, anyone?

And, they also claim that the bypass used by the maker of their coach was not very functional, if functional at all-can anyone comment on how the short ciruit works on their pumped system?-by this I mean the method of getting gray water to drain around the pump gears-by gravity..
Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
whatever.

Sani-con costs $299 brand new, in either the "portable" or the permanently installed version. If one doesn't like it, take it off and sell it or throw it away.

What sort of discount are you looking for over a $300 accessory that you don't like?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #24

You must make sure the windshield is clean also. If it's not then you would have to BUY some Windex to clean it!

Ed
Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's a couple a pics of sani con with by pass. When grey water valve is open, water flows from in front of the macerator thru small clear tube past the gears ,probably at the same rate your shower would be putting water into the tank. Not sure what all the hoopla is about! As far as noise is concerned, yea maybe a little annoying but not bad. Mine is mounted on rubber bushings inside the housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2215473694.png
Views:	53
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	9012   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2051611919.png
Views:	52
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	9013  

Old 03-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE="sparkydog"]Here's a couple a pics of sani con with by pass. When grey water valve is open, water flows from in front of the macerator thru small clear tube past the gears ,probably at the same rate your shower would be putting water into the tank. Not sure what all the hoopla is about! As far as noise is concerned, yea maybe a little annoying but not bad. Mine is mounted on rubber bushings inside the housing.[/QUOT
Old 03-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Found yet another rv that we are considering-it seems to be a very, very good time to buy, nearly pristine, low miles but it has that silly waste pump. The owner touts this as the best thing since sliced bread and took great pride in filling up the black tank with water and showing us how 'easy' it is to put the tiny nozzel into the drain (their septic tank, now having that is darn handy) and just push the switch and WAIT for about 5 minutes while that noisy motor does it thing.

No thank you; too noisy, too complicated and I cannot help but to think of the people who had one fall off in some tourist town, this CANNOT be the best way to drain the poo tank.

Common sense tells us that faster is better, read less odors. At any rate the owner is firm and won't budge on price, so this is out-for the time being that is.............

Do you folks that have this pump system really like it?
If you want a really good otor home at a fantastic price check out my ad on this site. Winnebago Adventurer 38J
Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
To add to sparkydog's post, here are pictures of the SaniCon twist on pump with grey water by pass.
Tetford Sani-Con Macerator - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery and
Tetford Sani-Con Macerator - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

Between the two posts, one can see both models. Once mine was installed it has never been removed. It has been installed a little over 2 years. It has worked as advertised and I would make the same purchase again.

To rough road, the grey water by pass is a gravity feed around the pump. You can see the by pass hose in the photos.