Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #29

With regard to the pricing issue, if we are going to pay top dollar it has to be with a coach that we would not have to immediately invest another several hundred dollars into.
bj, yours is too long but I will take a peek.
Gary, what sort of fitting did you use to attach to the coach plumbing?
By the way, if anyone has looked at that photo site; they are now being threatened with legal action unless EVERYTHING is removed by tomorrow, the 28th.
This is not right.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rough road,
The SaniCon unit I purchased connects directly to the bayonet fitting on the coach plumbing. Nothing additional need be purchased. You'll see a black support under the SaniCon motor. I made that out of bubble wrap and electric tape. I did not want the SaniCon unit hanging off the plumbing without additional support at the other end. This was my choice.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a picture of my Clean Dump installation.

It has never leaked and I can remove the hose and use a 3" if necessary. I always flush the black tank until it runs clear water thru the clear elbow. It may take a little longer to dump but I don't have 3" hose to clean and put away after use.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #32

wayne, the manner in which yours is installed does make sense to me with the motor being remote from the attachment point there would be nothing acting in sear against the bayonett ears AND in the compartment there would be a great deal of protection from road chemicals and uv. Also it would seem that you have also circumvented any vibration fatique by the transition to convention sewer hose at the pump-a very effective vibration isolator; my hat is off to the person who installed it...
Gary, my only concern with your mounting choice would be upward movement of the pump/motor and the stress that it would put on the point of attachment.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed it myself. I mounted the motor on rubber feet and the way the 3" is routed it can't vibrate off as there is constant pressure on the tabs. I can, and have, removed it and used a 3" hose on occasion. I still carry a short 3" hose in case of pump failure.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #34

wayne, engineer right?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
wayne, engineer right?
Retired in 2000.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rough road,
I have no worry about the pump moving upward. With the utility bay between the front and rear axle, if the pump moves up, I'll have many more, much larger problems.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
rough road......You asked about macerator pumps in one sentence and criticized them in the next without ever owning one. Why even ask for information on them if you were never open to what answers you might get? I didn't realize I was a "smugmug" because I like to dump my poop without having to handle a nasty hose.

We've had our SaniCon unit for six years. Both my BIL and my nephew added one after seeing how easy and clean ours was to use. They are great. About 90% of the people who dislike them have never had/used one. The ones who say they can dump faster with their 3" hose are correct, but forget to add in the time it takes to pull that 3" hose out, clean it and put it away.....usually still dripping goop.

I've been RVing for 34 years and have dumped with 3" hoses for the first 28, but would not go back to a 3" hose. I can also dump mine without any additional water by just using my grey tank to flush. If you find that you still have crud in your tank, you're doing something wrong.

By the way....which hose are you using to rinse out the 3" hose. That was another issue. You had to have a separate garden hose to rinse the 3" hose or you would eventually contaminate your drinking water hose.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #38

Diplomat, having seen pictures of one that went for a walk and has some sort of corrosion issue on the inside I don't see a problem with asking and questioning-you do and thats fine by me.

Gary, I like your install alot, its just that seeing there -may- be upward movement brings to my mind what happed to those other people-you gotta admit; they were lucky indeed.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rough road,
The difference between you and me on this point is experience. Without experience, you can believe anything you want. With experience, you will believe what is true. In my Newmar coach, with my setup, there will never (unless the coach is flipping over) be upward movement of the macerator. Every coach is different. Keep you fears, until you find something you are comfortable with. FYI, I am also a retired engineer (mechanical).
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #40

Gary, seeing pictures of one that fell off, mounted in a very similar fashion to the way yours is, does NOT give you even pause to consider the cause for failure?, just how much surface area does a bayonett type fitting provide for attachment-upward motion is NOT a factor to be considered?

Not an engineer, but I do enjoy working with them, almost on a daily basis.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rough road,
The bayonet fitting is industry standard. You can measure it yourself. The SaniCon went on tight. It has been on two years + without any movement what so ever. It remains exactly where I installed it. Who knows why the other person's unit fell off. There could be many reasons. For me, a proper installation and insuring minimal stress on the connection is all one needs to do.

There is no debate here. I need prove nothing to you. The facts are what they are. Do what you want. The SaniCon and my installation are not even on my list of things to worry about. It is a good solid install and a good solid piece of equipment.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #42
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
GaryKD......Give up......."rough road" sounds like a lookie loo to me. He'll be looking and criticizing motor homes for the rest of his life and never buy one.

I had to laugh that he decided it would cost him $300.00 to disconnect the bayonet fitting and use a 3" hose. The SaniCons ARE NOT integrated into the system, they're just added on at the bayonet fitting.

I always try to give an honest opinion about a product even if I wasted my money. This is the second time in the last couple of years that someone has come on asking for an opinion on something they know nothing about and then proceed to tell everyone how wrong they are.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote