Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a timely thread, as I will be installing an RV pad behind my house in two weeks. I purchased an RV power pedestal that has 50A, 30A, 20A plugs.

Thanks Wayne M for supplying the link to the RV electric wiring website. Because I am going with 50A service, installation should be straightforward, but I am going to print out the web page and insist my electrician read it to be safe. Before my electrician leaves, I plan to plug in my Progressive Industries portable 50A surge guard to all three outlets to ensure they are wired correctly.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
This is a timely thread, as I will be installing an RV pad behind my house in two weeks. I purchased an RV power pedestal that has 50A, 30A, 20A plugs.

Thanks Wayne M for supplying the link to the RV electric wiring website. Because I am going with 50A service, installation should be straightforward, but I am going to print out the web page and insist my electrician read it to be safe. Before my electrician leaves, I plan to plug in my Progressive Industries portable 50A surge guard to all three outlets, and ensure they are safe.

Craig
Good plan Craig...its like cutting lumber...measure twice,cut once!

Bart Anderson

Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Why in the world did he specify a 30amp circuit if he has a 50amp RV?
In some cases that's all the existing service can supply. We have a 300 amp service to the house, but had to have another 100 amp service installed in the garage to feed a dozen 20 amp outlets, 2 50 amp outlets, and a 30 amp outlet.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
I am going to print out the web page and insist my electrician read it to be safe. Before my electrician leaves, I plan to plug in my Progressive Industries portable 50A surge guard to all three outlets to ensure they are wired correctly.

Craig
Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to all who provided excellent information and reference material. With that information I was able to connect a 50 amp outlet today without letting out any smoke.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
.....I said "Chris, are you sure that outlets not 220v?" He said "isn't that what it's supposed to be? That's what it says on the side of the motorhome"......
Only had to read that far to know what would happen, and why.

-- Owner has a 50A motorhome with no EMS.
-- Owner installs a 30A plug to support a 50A MH.
You can see this over and over on all these different fora. People spend significant money on a MH or other RV, then go cheap when it comes to support and protection.

Residential electrician installed exactly what uninformed motorhome owner requested.

We've all made stupid mistakes. Required next step is to acknowledge and fix.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
"Owner installs a 30 amp plug to run a 50 amp Motorhome". His motorhome, his choice.
If all he wanted was to run the fridge and charge the batteries he may have stayed with his 15 amp circuit.
He hired a professional to install the 30 amp circuit. " I want a 30 amp box to plug my RV into, put it next to the RV and yes-grey is fine." If it's wired wrong the professional screwed up and should fix the damage he caused.
FWIW the RV electrical panel placard reads: 120/240 volt 3pole 4 wire 50AMP ..... not just 220volt...
Sure- We (here on the forum) know the wiring is different than a dryer connection.. primarily because it has come up before....

I'm sure nowhere in any of his manuals did it say "CAUTION:electricians will screw up your wiring if you don't draw them pictures of what you want".
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Why in the world did he specify a 30amp circuit if he has a 50amp RV?
Because you can run almost everything on 30 amps unless you want to run two or three heat pumps. Sometimes it doesn't make sense or give you much of a payoff for the extra cost.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #51

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been an electrician for a long time and I still refer to the link below when hooking up R.V. circuits. Hope this helps someone else. I have heard from a few RV dealers of similar stories of electricians hooking up 30 and 50 amp circuits using 220V and frying the invertors and other components on brand new rigs.

http://www.hrvc.com/console/files/Un...l%20System.pdf
Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothcoasts View Post
I have been an electrician for a long time and I still refer to the link below when hooking up R.V. circuits. Hope this helps someone else. I have heard from a few RV dealers of similar stories of electricians hooking up 30 and 50 amp circuits using 220V and frying the invertors and other components on brand new rigs.

http://www.hrvc.com/console/files/Un...l%20System.pdf

Thank you for adding to the conversation. It is good to hear from someone in the trade and their point of view.

I'm going to guess that wiring RV plugs is not the only circumstance where you refer to documentation. IMHO, every profession has way too much information to be maintained mentally all of the time. That's why there are reference materials. If more use of those reference materials were made, I suspect that the number of reported problems would go down.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #53

Lots of opinions here. So, here's the final story:

The 220 blew out or damaged the following:

Rear LCD TV - Blown fused - easy fix.
Rear AC Start Capacitor - Replaced.
Microwave - Completely toasted - Replaced.
Refrigerator heating element - Fridge does not work on electric but works fine on gas.

Everything else on the coach appears to be fine as we went camping this weekend and I helped Chris check everything out. The fridge turned out to be an after-the-fact event. It was working after the event, but at some point it appears the heating element burned out.

There's a lot of finger-pointing here but a few things I wanted to mention. I have almost 30 years of RVing experience and am aware of a LOT more than someone who just started this year. What I wanted to point out in this thread is that you can't trust an electrician (and an electrician can't trust an RVer) to figure out what he/she needs. I certainly agree that the RVer should have known what he needed or researched it, but then again, so should the electrician. All the information is readily available on that internet thingy.

Also, the reason a 30amp was installed instead of a 50amp was certainly cost. I did the same for my setup. I have a 30amp. The only possible reason I'd need a 50amp is if I was wanting to run BOTH ACs and my electric water heater. I have no need for that when the unit is just parked in the driveway. Neither did my friend. The 30amp is for storage purposes only. As a matter of fact, the covered storage where I park my unit only has a 15amp hookup. It's just enough to run the fridge and chargers, that's it. Not uncommon I think.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Topdownman - sounds like you friend got off fairly light. Hopefully the event didn't leave any Gremlins behind that are holding their smoke in.

Too bad he didn't think to call you first and I hope you passed along the value and need of a good surge protector.

And I wish my storage place would add elec to my space. Not enough of those to go around in these parts.

Fingers crossed for your friend.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #55

Yes, I hope no more smoke gets out. I hate it when that happens.

I am blessed to have an electrical hookup in my storage unit. I've been with this guy for years and I was one of the reasons he decided to build a deeper building with electric. He called me and asked me if I'd be willing to pay an extra $5 per month for electric. You'd better believe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Topdownman - sounds like you friend got off fairly light. Hopefully the event didn't leave any Gremlins behind that are holding their smoke in.

Too bad he didn't think to call you first and I hope you passed along the value and need of a good surge protector.

And I wish my storage place would add elec to my space. Not enough of those to go around in these parts.

Fingers crossed for your friend.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #56

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Wink

chasfm11,

Like Thomas Edison said "why should I remember all this stuff when I can write it down"