Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
HD4Mark's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marathon, Florida
Posts: 2,894
Another Michelin blowout and Good Sam RSA

We had just replaced the two front Michelin XZEs due to a lump in one sidewall. Almost 8 years old so it made sense. We planned to do the 4 rear when we returned to our stick home. Did not make it. While on US81 in Virginia, DW driving there was a BOOM. You could feel the explosion. We were lucky that it was a rear dual, it did not unravel and damage anything and we were right at a rest area off ramp. The hole in it was on the inside and other than the bead being off the rim it didn't look like there was anything wrong. Turns out the rears are/were 10 years old so no surprise it melted down. Four new rear tires coming this summer.

Now the road side assistance story. Only a couple of weeks ago when we had the fronts done Good Sam sent a tech out with two Michelin XZE2s and took care of the service call. We paid for the labor and tires of course. With our FMCA discount, worth the price of membership BTW, it came out to $1100. Then there we were in the rest stop on Saturday one the line with GS RSA. Here comes the "we are contracted with Goodyear" crap. I tell them that is swell and they are a good tire but we have 5 other Michelins. They tell me after a small argument they can go "out of network" to find them. A long while later they come up with a TA that has a Michelin trailer tire $607 or steer tire $671. I said wow I just spent about $500 each on the ones I want. Then we decided to try calling Progressive and try the RSA that came with our insurance policy. They tried very hard but couldn't come up with XZEs either.

Back to Good Sam. OK since it doesn't look like I am getting the XZEs anyway so what is the deal with the Goodyears. At the time we weren't sure there was even a hole in the tire. They charge you for the tire on your credit card and you pay the tire outfit for the labor. "What if I don't need the tire"? We don't send RSA for repairs. Swell, I would like to go home so whatever. Much later they can't find a Goodyear close by and have to go "out of network". Guess what, back to the same outfit with the Michelins we didn't want. The deal with that is we pay them direct for the tire and labor. I kept myself from screaming at them that is what I wanted in the first place. Instead I ask them to have the tire guy call me.

So I ask the tire guy what can we get to get us on the road. Used, no way, reread or new. We ended up with a Bandag retread that coincidentally was a Michelin XRA for $340 with a warranty. Good enough to get us home (and did) and keep for a spare.

Back to Good Sam. Since the call was out of network they will only pay time and mileage one way. It was a good thing the poor guy on the phone with me didn't have his neck within strangling distance. Seems to me it is not my fault you couldn't get someone in network.

BTW if you buy the Goodyear from them, they send it out and you don't actually need it, guess what. You own it.

Seven hours after the blowout we were back on the road. End of rant thanks for listening. Any thoughts?
__________________

__________________
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
calhyatt's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Weston, Fl.
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We had just replaced the two front Michelin XZEs due to a lump in one sidewall. Almost 8 years old so it made sense. We planned to do the 4 rear when we returned to our stick home. Did not make it. While on US81 in Virginia, DW driving there was a BOOM. You could feel the explosion. We were lucky that it was a rear dual, it did not unravel and damage anything and we were right at a rest area off ramp. The hole in it was on the inside and other than the bead being off the rim it didn't look like there was anything wrong. Turns out the rears are/were 10 years old so no surprise it melted down. Four new rear tires coming this summer.

Now the road side assistance story. Only a couple of weeks ago when we had the fronts done Good Sam sent a tech out with two Michelin XZE2s and took care of the service call. We paid for the labor and tires of course. With our FMCA discount, worth the price of membership BTW, it came out to $1100. Then there we were in the rest stop on Saturday one the line with GS RSA. Here comes the "we are contracted with Goodyear" crap. I tell them that is swell and they are a good tire but we have 5 other Michelins. They tell me after a small argument they can go "out of network" to find them. A long while later they come up with a TA that has a Michelin trailer tire $607 or steer tire $671. I said wow I just spent about $500 each on the ones I want. Then we decided to try calling Progressive and try the RSA that came with our insurance policy. They tried very hard but couldn't come up with XZEs either.

Back to Good Sam. OK since it doesn't look like I am getting the XZEs anyway so what is the deal with the Goodyears. At the time we weren't sure there was even a hole in the tire. They charge you for the tire on your credit card and you pay the tire outfit for the labor. "What if I don't need the tire"? We don't send RSA for repairs. Swell, I would like to go home so whatever. Much later they can't find a Goodyear close by and have to go "out of network". Guess what, back to the same outfit with the Michelins we didn't want. The deal with that is we pay them direct for the tire and labor. I kept myself from screaming at them that is what I wanted in the first place. Instead I ask them to have the tire guy call me.

So I ask the tire guy what can we get to get us on the road. Used, no way, reread or new. We ended up with a Bandag retread that coincidentally was a Michelin XRA for $340 with a warranty. Good enough to get us home (and did) and keep for a spare.

Back to Good Sam. Since the call was out of network they will only pay time and mileage one way. It was a good thing the poor guy on the phone with me didn't have his neck within strangling distance. Seems to me it is not my fault you couldn't get someone in network.

BTW if you buy the Goodyear from them, they send it out and you don't actually need it, guess what. You own it.

Seven hours after the blowout we were back on the road. End of rant thanks for listening. Any thoughts?
Happy to hear that you didn't have and damage or injuries other than to your wallet. Thanks for the details of the drama you experienced with the tire folks.
__________________

__________________
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
HD4Mark's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marathon, Florida
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
Happy to hear that you didn't have and damage or injuries other than to your wallet. Thanks for the details of the drama you experienced with the tire folks.
Thanks calhyatt. We were very lucky it happened how and were it did. DW kind of just coasted off the highway.

The service that they sent was a TA Travel Centers of America. They were very professional. The tech that changed the tire was a girl that couldn't have weighed 100lbs. She was great, knew her stuff and spent a tour in Iraq learning the trade in the Army. No complaints with them.

In the end the bill was just over $600 on our Visa. We really need to read the fine print on the RSA plan. To see if they were justified in the "one way" labor and to decide who to use next year.
__________________
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,939
Seems like a good reason I might want to start carrying a mounted spare, thanks for the insight.
__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
HD4Mark's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marathon, Florida
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Seems like a good reason I might want to start carrying a mounted spare, thanks for the insight.
I thought about that after all this myself. The problem is how will we know if the rim is a front, rear inside or outside. They all appear different.

We do plan to try to figure a space to carry the soon to be unmounted retread we just bought and only put on about 500 miles.

I still wonder if we were treated fairly by Good Sam though. Since when do they only pay one way for RSA?
__________________
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,939
Mine are different because the front aluminums are polished on the outside, the rear outside aluminums are polished on the inside (deep dished side) and the inside dual is steel.

If you have all steel wheels they will interchange front to rear, mine will as well but then I'd have to repolish them

All the decades I've driven large trucks and have never had a spare, but on the same token I've never had XRVs either.
__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tony Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peru heading for Brasilia, Brazil
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Back to Good Sam.
No thanks. Just cancelled the membership and got a refund.
__________________
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Mine are different because the front aluminums are polished on the outside, the rear outside aluminums are polished on the inside (deep dished side) and the inside dual is steel.

If you have all steel wheels they will interchange front to rear, mine will as well but then I'd have to repolish them

All the decades I've driven large trucks and have never had a spare, but on the same token I've never had XRVs either.

What do you use?
__________________
2005 30' Rexhall Vision, W-22 chassis, 19.5 tires, 208'' factory WB, 6000 CCC
scoutmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,939
I'm not totally sure what the question means, the aluminum wheels are Accuride, the tires are Michelin XRV, the inner rears are OEM Accuride steel. All have bead balancing.

Oh and no spare.
__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
HD4Mark's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marathon, Florida
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'm not totally sure what the question means, the aluminum wheels are Accuride, the tires are Michelin XRV, the inner rears are OEM Accuride steel. All have bead balancing.

Oh and no spare.
Our wheels are the same setup Accurides all around. The service tech had to deflate the new tire and start over because some of the left over balance beads on the rim made it not seat. She said she thought the balance beads were a scam. The new fronts have red valve stem caps that are supposed to let you know the beads are inside. That was news to me.

I got online at the GS RSA site to check out what they claim to do. Nowhere did it mention "one way service". A chat window popped up asking if you have questions so I played dumb and started asking questions. I kind of backed the girl (if it was a girl) into a corner and pretty much found out they screwed us with that. I have transcripts and screen shots of the entire thing. She finally asked my member number and said "one of the guys" would call me back. That was two days ago. Guess how many calls I have gotten. Then she suggested I fill out the online claim form. That form is for emergency service that you get before you can call GS like you are blocking traffic and a policeman gets you moved right away. You need to supply receipts electrically if you don't want to print it and send snail mail. Something not everyone can do but we can.

The way I look at it GS owes us about $130. The battle rages on.
__________________
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Member
 
mikedes's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 98
We use AAA instead and from your experience am glad we do. I have had several blowouts (old age and my fault for not replacing earlier ) and a motor failure on our 2000 Diplomat and never had any problems getting service and fully paid. In the case of the engine we needed a tow of about 150 miles and there was no question of payment
($750) although in that case we were asked to pay the tow and they reimbursed us
Mike D
__________________
2000 Monaco Diplomat
mikedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
HD4Mark's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marathon, Florida
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedes View Post
We use AAA instead and from your experience am glad we do. I have had several blowouts (old age and my fault for not replacing earlier ) and a motor failure on our 2000 Diplomat and never had any problems getting service and fully paid. In the case of the engine we needed a tow of about 150 miles and there was no question of payment
($750) although in that case we were asked to pay the tow and they reimbursed us
Mike D
Mike, We started out with AAA gold RV on our first MH. We had a blowout on our motorcycle trailer (utility trailer) on our first major trip and were told they did not do RSA on them. At their office later we were shown a page of photos of trailers not covered. We don't often use the MC trailer any longer but at the time did enough to dump AAA. We did have coverage through Winnebago because it was new and comes with it. They had no problem sending someone.

I guess the trick is to do lots of research, read the fine print, ask a thousand questions and get the answers in writing.
__________________
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
HD4Mark's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marathon, Florida
Posts: 2,894
Good Sam came through

After the online chat session we waited a few days and did not get the call promised. Figuring we were fighting a losing battle I called them anyway to ask why. I was told they would call Monday. To our surprise they did call, apologized and asked how much the return RSA call labor and mileage was. I gave them the figure and sure enough yesterday we received a check for it.

Ironically in the mail the very same day was the bill for renewal that was 95 cents different.
__________________
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
Community Administrator
 
JohnRR's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marquette, Michigan "Da UP"
Posts: 16,939
Thank you for the update.
__________________

__________________
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.