Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #1

I just read Darryl's post about an odor in the hot water. It reminded me that I need suggestions on my odor problem.

Class A motor home
Bathroom sink only

Our water smells fresh and clean but the odor seems to be coming from the sink drain. The odor is like stale water. Something like the odor inside a drain pipe. Definitely not the stink that the gray water tank is capable of.

I have removed all of the drain piping from the sink to the vertical riser that goes directly into the gray tank. It was relatively clean with the typical amount of residue. I cleaned everything well are reassembled the drain line.

My drain line vacuum breaker is only 6 months old and seems to be shutting off OK.

The odor is still present. It only smells when there is water flowing into the sink.

Could it be a bacteria growth inside the overflow canal inside the sink bowl? I don't know of a good way to clean out this little tunnel.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Anything is possible and you could be right. To clean out the overflow you will need to block the drain below the bottom of the bowl. A simple drain plug in the bowl will not work. You may have to remove the "P" trap and plug it. Also plug the bottom of the bowl. Once you have this accomplished prepare a 50/50 mix of bleach and water and squirt it down into the over flow with something like a turkey baster till full. Let it stand for an hour or so.
Now the tricky part; get a large enough pan to catch this water and not get in on much as this could bleach fabrics and finishes.
Re-plumb the sink and flush the overflow with clean water well. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Gray tank odors can stink almost like black tanks. I use Odorlos chemical in the black tank and the gray tank alike. Solved the problem.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #4

I'd bet that it is the vacuum break. Cheap enough to replace or install a spare to see if that cures the problem. I had one fail on the bath sink, and the smell was bad.....Fred
Old 02-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #5

I put a plastic bag over the vacuum break with an elastic band to rule out a faulty valve.I had a problem with water leaking down around the toilet base and collecting on top of the tank.The odor would then come out under the sink .
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #6

Here's a follow-up on what I did to eliminate my sink odor problem.

First I removed all doubt that it was not my vacuum breaker valve under the sink. I have never had any odor under the sink. I'm sure if the vacuum breaker was stuck open I would have smelled something under there. I used Saran Wrap and rubber bands to seal the vacuum breaker for several days. The odor was still there. I knew all along that this odor was not the gray tank smell.

I removed the drain trap under the sink.

I used Saran Wrap and rubber bands to seal the sink drain. I also always use a dishpan under my working area in there to reduce the mess if I have an accident.

I used RV Wizard's suggestion and used my battery water syringe to inject full strength Clorox into the little overflow opening in the sink until full.

I let the chlorine do it's thing all night.

The next morning I used an ice pick to poke a tiny hole in the stretch wrap material to allow a controlled flow drainage of the Clorox into the dishpan. I used the syringe to flush the overflow passage with clean water.

After disposing of the Clorox water I put everything back together.

It has been almost two weeks and no old dirty water smell anymore.

Horay!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear that you have resolved the mystery!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many tend to forget that if they do not use their shower or sinks for some time, the water in the pee trap evaporates and allows gasses to escape into the interior of the coach. So, ever so often, pour water into the sink and shower traps.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We have found that even living full time in the coach that when traveling we can loose the water in the "P" traps and get an odor entering the coach. Now the wife doesn't even have to be told what to do. She just gets up and runs water down the shower and sinks and in a couple miles the odor is gone.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #10

Be aware that you can get,in addition to bad smells,MOSQUITOS coming up through a dry P trap and invading your MH.I had a resident mosquito population in my grey water tank that I discovered after being bitten every time I visited the bathroom.Seems our washer/dryer P trap was dry after using it on an irregular basis during a period of hot weather.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote