Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #1

Another Thor customer service mess

I have a 2017 Thor Class C. Purchased new last April. Last season my NEW motor home spent a total of three months in and out of the shop for repairs. In October last I found a crack in the fiber glass portion of the roof. I agreed to wait till March to have it repaired, its still under factory warranty. The dealer contacted a repar facility, since they don't do body work. They were quoted a price, which they submitted to Thor for approval. Thor said they would not cover the heavy cost. My dealer told me I had to fight with Thor to have it repaired. After contacting Thor customer service they said they would send there own person to Chicago to do the work.
I dilivered my motor to the dealer on schedule for the repairs, actually two days early. But the Thor tech never showed up. The dealer didnt call for three days to find out what happened. Then it took four days for Thor to call them back. In the mean time I called Thor myself and told them what happened. I was told they will look into it and call me back. I never heard from them.
Today my dealer called me. I was told Thor finally called them. Thor told the dealer they were to busy to send the tech here for the repair. But never called to say he wasnt comming. Thor then told the dealer to just have it repaired by the local company.
Just another case of great Thor customer service.

Tacouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

The frustration and disappointment in these kinds of situations is mind numbing and can take the joy out of the RV experience. While I don't have any advice or suggestions for the OP, I wish them well in the struggle. With fingers crossed, perhaps this current issue will be the last issue.

Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #3

I had a 2008 Damon Challenger and fought with Thor to get anything covered. The final straw was when they wouldn't cover deteriorating seat covers at 14 months of age. That was the one and only Thor product I ever owned. When it came time to move up I bought from a company that has a reputation for customer satisfaction.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
moral of the story......DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THOR............if they wouldn't step up with such a serious situation, can you imagine how they would react to something minor........................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

I sure hope Thor reads this forum and takes the feedback to heart. I have a Thor and had more issues with the dealer repair shop than Thor. I hope to keep our coach until we are done RVing but if I were to need another one, I probably would not buy a Thor and I definitely wouldn't buy a new anything.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

I bought a new Thor Astoria in 2011. It leaked everywhere. If you drove in a rain storm all of the storage bays got wet. If you were parked with the slides out, water would run under the slides into the coach. I constantly complained to the point that on the day my warranty was up, I got a call from the national service manger telling me never to call them again. They were done. It wasn't that they didn't try to fix it. They tried to band-aid it. It was design and engineering flaws that they did not want to address. I wised up and sold it.
lexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #7

OP, did you consider taking it to Wakarusa for the repair or asking them to send somebody to get it?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:02 AM   #8

I looked at a Thor. Then read about their dismal build quality and customer service. Passed their product up.
Unfortunately most RV makers aren't much better and some probably worse.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #9

Brian, just remember that the vast majority of units sold now are Thor, therefore if the QC failure rate is equal, then Thor will have a higher gross number, plus
People will take to the internet over any little thing they don't like or slight that they feel.

We have a Thor Quantum and it has been great. I have been to the Thor factory and seen the final QC and the changes that they have made to make it better.
Your dealer is actually 75% of the process for repairs unless you go to Wakarusa and they are great there.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #10

Thor

Again, the problem with our coach was not only quality, but design and engineering flaws. There is no excuse for that. When you can see into your bedroom from the bottom of your slide out, there is a problem with that. Their remedy for water running under the slide into the bedroom was to make sure the coach is level. Really??? The one inch gap didn't raise a red flag with engineering? They could have cared less about the problem.

The fact that you say that 75% of the problems are handled by the dealer is ridiculous. Not that I am contradicting that, but there is no way these coaches should be leaving the factory in the condition that they do. We, the buying public have accepted the poor quality, and as long as we continue to buy the garbage they produce, nothing will change. Detroit went though this years ago. People flocked in droves to buy Japanese cars because the quality was so much better. It took decades for Detroit to catch up. But they had to or go out of business. Unfortunately, there is no alternative at the price points they sell at, so unless you want to pony up the money for a Newell or Prevost, it's a crap shoot. Or you do what I finally did, buy a high quality vintage coach. 100 times better than anything else I've ever owned.
lexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton View Post
We, the buying public have accepted the poor quality, and as long as we continue to buy the garbage they produce, nothing will change.

This is the main issue. People keep buying their junk because thatís what they can afford (I donít directly blame them) and Thor very well know it...
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:46 AM   #12

Exactly where did I say that dealers perform 75% of the warranty work? I said they are 75% of the process. From my looking at slides and those of other lines the spaces are the same so I guess those designers and engineers are clueless too.
Maybe you can design a slide system that would be better? If so, please do. Just be sure to allow for it being used between 20 to 105 degrees and used when the frame is cattywompus.
The manufacturers are always looking for somebody to design a flawless coach or trailer that will survive the LCD.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:47 AM   #13

AND I bet they would pay well over a mil a year.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #14

Sorry about your "issues" with Thor. Your headline caught my eye and made me laugh. I went to high school with a kid named Thor and YES, he was a MESS! His issues were more personal hygiene and a foul mouth, neither of which was ever addressed by the teachers or administration. Hope you have better luck dealing with THOR.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 toad on a double axle car hauling trailer
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, thor