Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vehicle Systems Inc. Owner's Manual for their Hydro Hot states on page 16:

"If you're disinfecting your potable water system, after winterizing, be sure to follow RVIA's "Instructon for Disinfection of Potable Water Systems on Recreation Vehicles." These instructions can be found in the ANSI A119.2 Handbook for Recreational Vehicle Standards."

RVIA wants $175 for their "Guide" to this Standard, and the Standard itself appears to be no longer available from ANSI or other National Standards Libraries.

Does anyone know where this ANSI Standard can be found or purchased?

CC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vehicle Systems Inc. Owner's Manual for their Hydro Hot states on page 16:

"If you're disinfecting your potable water system, after winterizing, be sure to follow RVIA's "Instructon for Disinfection of Potable Water Systems on Recreation Vehicles." These instructions can be found in the ANSI A119.2 Handbook for Recreational Vehicle Standards."

RVIA wants $175 for their "Guide" to this Standard, and the Standard itself appears to be no longer available from ANSI or other National Standards Libraries.

Does anyone know where this ANSI Standard can be found or purchased?

CC

Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #3

Yes at the ANSI on line bookstore .

Been there done that. Just put A119.2 IN SEARCH BOX AND IT'LL COME UP $38

http://webstore.ansi.org
Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Leo,
If you look at the description of the document, it states it's really the "2008 NFPA 1192 the key to recreational vehicle fire safety" for $38. I assume that NFPA is National Fire Protection Association.

It goes on to say "This widely used document replaced ANSI A119.2 with a complete set of merged rules regulating the full spectrum of safety in recreational vehicles."

So I guess ANSI A119.2 is no longer available, and I'm not sure how much of what was in ANSI A119.2 was left in the now NFPA 1192 document.

I guess I can call Vehicle Systems Inc. and advise them they are referencing a document that is no longer available, and maybe they should consider NFPA 1192, if that has the details their customers need for their system.

CC
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Camelot Camper:
Leo,
If you look at the description of the document, it states it's really the "2008 NFPA 1192 the key to recreational vehicle fire safety" for $38. I assume that NFPA is National Fire Protection Association.

It goes on to say "This widely used document replaced ANSI A119.2 with a complete set of merged rules regulating the full spectrum of safety in recreational vehicles."

So I guess ANSI A119.2 is no longer available, and I'm not sure how much of what was in ANSI A119.2 was left in the now NFPA 1192 document.

I guess I can call Vehicle Systems Inc. and advise them they are referencing a document that is no longer available, and maybe they should consider NFPA 1192, if that has the details their customers need for their system.

CC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To the best of my memory the NFPA all ways set the standard and then it was adopted by ANSI as A119.2. My copy, which is several years old- the 1999 version I think (don't have it here at home so going from memory) has both on the cover page at top i.e. ANSI A119.2/NFPA 1192
Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ah, that's good to know. So I went back to the library and entered "NFPA 1192" in the search window, and four editions (1999, 2002, 2005, and 2008) were provided.

So just to make sure, I'll give Vehicle Systems a call tomorrow to make sure I get the edition they're referencing.

Thanks for the history lesson, you've been most helpful.

CC
Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If all you want to do is to saniutize your potable water system; save your money and put 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach into each 15 gallons of water. fill the fresh water tank, run water through all water lines until you can smell the chlorine. Let this sit for three hours and then drain and flush the system out. That is all there is to it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Thanks for your input. The best I can tell from Vehicle Systems is that my Aqua Hot or Hydra Hot warranty can be invalidated if I introduce too high of a concentration (ppm) level of chlorine into their system of pipes. With that in mind, I emailed Vehicle Systems about 2 or 3 months ago requesting their maximum recommended concentration of chlorine, but never received a reply.

The 1/4 cup of chlorine per 15 gallons of water is what we've been using for the last 20 years in our Pace Arrow's conventional water system. But I guess now that's changed with the Aqua Hot.

CC
Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I spoke with Don at Vehicle Systems Technical Support, who FAXed me the following information (ANSI/NFPA 1192 paragraph 7.3.7 dated April 2005)regarding maximum concentration of chlorine versus time with the Aqua Hot System:

Maximum Chlorine Concentration = 100ppm for one hour then drain and flush with potable water. (100ppm = 1/2 cup bleach in a 1 gallon solution for every 15 gallons.)

Recommended Chlorine Concentration = 50ppm for four hours then drain and flush with potable water. (50ppm = 1/4 cup bleach in a 1 gallon soluton for every 15 gallons.)

CC